Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tulsa - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Tulsa - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I had a really nice stay at this property last week. It exceeded my expectations based on the reviews here. The hotel is currently under renovation. I had one of the newly (and I mean within weeks) renovated rooms on the 10th floor because the club floors (14 and 15) were closed for renovation. The new carpet smell hit me as soon as I walked off the elevator. I'm not sure if this room was really the best available I was supposed to get as a Diamond, but it was fine for my purposes so I didn't mention it. The bathrooms are still small, as others have mentioned about this property in the past. The check-in agent didn't mention the amenity, but amazingly the points posted correctly and quickly.

Part of the renovation that is complete is a nice new lobby area with lots of large sofas and chairs and a long work/charging table with many outlets.

The Regency Club was in a temporary location in the hospitality suite on the 3rd floor but still managed to be very good. Evening food included chicken wings, a tasty soup, cheese and pita crackers, vegetables, custard parfaits, and mini cupcakes. Breakfast food included three hot items (potatoes, eggs, bacon) as well as a wide assortment of high quality pastries, fruit (including blueberries), Greek yogurt, oatmeal, etc. The chocolate chip scones were particularly notable, and the host commented that they were baked fresh on site daily. Staff was great both morning and evening.

Self parking was very easy and they did not charge me the $8 fee - I'm not sure why. Maybe because it was an award stay or because I'm a Diamond. There were indeed luggage carts available, and it was no trouble at all to get stuff into the hotel from my parking spot.

The only complaint I had was about the pillows - for some reason the choice was between really thin or really thick and narrow, neither of which were conducive to ideal sleep.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
I have been staying at this property on and off for the last few months.

In my opinon its one of the nicest Regancy's out there. Rooms are newly renovated, entire hotel is always crystal clean and the staff is friendly.

Great food inside the hotel and easy Valet or self park. In addition, they have a salon and spa on property.

All in all they can't do much to improve as I find the place equal to move 4 star hotels.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by B767capt
I have been staying at this property on and off for the last few months.

In my opinon its one of the nicest Regancy's out there. Rooms are newly renovated, entire hotel is always crystal clean and the staff is friendly.

Great food inside the hotel and easy Valet or self park. In addition, they have a salon and spa on property.

All in all they can't do much to improve as I find the place equal to move 4 star hotels.
I appreciate your review. I stayed there about three years ago (pre renovation?) and was disappointed. One thing that really drove me nuts was the ac would make a very loud 'click' when it turned on and off. I complained (as it was ruining my sleep) and they moved me rooms in the middle of night to another room, which had the exact same issue, so it seemed hotel-wide. Did you notice this or did they update their climate control systems? I do remember that their restaurant there had a pretty good breakfast.

I live about an hour and some change away and I hold season tickets to the Tulsa Symphony (and go to downtown Tulsa a couple more times a year for other events). Though the drive home after an evening event isn't bad, sometimes my wife and I would like to enjoy the night scene a little bit, as there is some decent food/drink options near there, and just stay downtown. Since this Hyatt regency is only a Cat1, it's also cheap to use points there. We may have to try it out again sometime this Fall.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Hhonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MarkOK
I appreciate your review. I stayed there about three years ago (pre renovation?) and was disappointed. One thing that really drove me nuts was the ac would make a very loud 'click' when it turned on and off. I complained (as it was ruining my sleep) and they moved me rooms in the middle of night to another room, which had the exact same issue, so it seemed hotel-wide. Did you notice this or did they update their climate control systems? I do remember that their restaurant there had a pretty good breakfast.

I live about an hour and some change away and I hold season tickets to the Tulsa Symphony (and go to downtown Tulsa a couple more times a year for other events). Though the drive home after an evening event isn't bad, sometimes my wife and I would like to enjoy the night scene a little bit, as there is some decent food/drink options near there, and just stay downtown. Since this Hyatt regency is only a Cat1, it's also cheap to use points there. We may have to try it out again sometime this Fall.
yes the AC units seemed new and I never noticed any bad, loud, or abnormal sounds. I did have an issue with the temperature during one of my many stays. They came and serviced the unit without any future issues!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Thanks ! -- I will have to try it out...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:32 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
FYI for anyone traveling to Tulsa. hotel is currently closed after an escalator fire.
Only saw the headline, cannot access the article from my region...

Tulsa's Hyatt Hotel Closed After Escalator Fire - News On 6
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
FYI for anyone traveling to Tulsa. hotel is currently closed after an escalator fire.
Only saw the headline, cannot access the article from my region...

Tulsa's Hyatt Hotel Closed After Escalator Fire - News On 6
hotels closed through Dec 31st. Was there today and two restoration companies with about 10 trucks are on site. Smoke damage was extensive and they are completely renovating the lobby and conference space.

Last edited by B767capt; Nov 28, 2018 at 7:40 pm Reason: error in original response
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:15 am

Are we sure it is back open? I checked availability for some dates this week and they come up as 'not available'. I sincerely doubt they are booked up over the holiday weekend.

(and my comment a few up from 15 months ago is rather interesting -- I've ended up staying here for nearly 20 nights between then and now. Post renovation, this hotel is rather nice. Two complaints though -- they give me rooms all over the place, usually not on the club level either. And, their breakfast policy is rather stingy.)
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:40 pm

Are we sure it is back open? I checked availability for some dates this week and they come up as 'not available'. I sincerely doubt they are booked up over the holiday weekend.

(and my comment a few up from 15 months ago is rather interesting -- I've ended up staying here for nearly 20 nights between then and now. Post renovation, this hotel is rather nice. Two complaints though -- they give me rooms all over the place, usually not on the club level either. And, their breakfast policy is rather stingy.)
no i edited my response and stand corrected. Property schedule to reopen dec 31
Old Nov 25, 2019, 9:09 am

Stayed this weekend 2 nights. At 5K a night, it's a no brainer in Tulsa.

The good:
-Breakfast is quite good. The coffee shop on property is also better than expected.
-Executive lounge is nicer than this property probably needs. It's a top floor room with a few food items and a coffee machine and free waters. It's welcome at such a minor location.
-Room was quiet, functional, AC worked great. Clean and comfortable. Water is hot.
-Staff is very friendly.
-Location is great, and hotel is easy to navigate. Elevators are pretty fast for there only being four.
-Huge refrigerator in room

The Bad:
-Window insulation is so poor that the cold creeps in heavily. Shades do help with this though.
-Bar soap provided was eerily chalky and somewhat useless. Very odd.
-Little details like the older TV sets in room remind you that this property was renovated recently, but not that recently.
-Pillows are okay, but nothing great like a Westin.
-There is nothing about the rooms that differentiates it from your normal Hyatt Place. This is fine with me though.

Lounge access gets you free lounge breakfast on weekdays and a $13 voucher on weekends in the restaurant. Not bad.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jbandy10
Lounge access gets you free lounge breakfast on weekdays and a $13 voucher on weekends in the restaurant. Not bad.
On weekends, what conditions (e.g., level of status), if any, must be met?

I ask because I stayed at this property last year. Before the visit, I called to ask if the lounge was open on weekends; I was told "yes," but the person I spoke with didn't bother explaining that while the lounge is technically "open" on weekends, there's no meaningful food service from Friday evening to Sunday evening. About all you can do is grab a can of chilled soda.

On arriving & discovering this unhappy circumstance, I complained at the front desk. They gave me vouchers, but I assumed it was only because I'd arguably been misled by the earlier staffer & then complained about it. Did you get vouchers at check-in without having to ask?

On an unrelated note, have they gotten the city to fix the issues with the municipal garage next door, which the hotel uses? The hotel gave me a mag-stripe(!) card for swiping out of the garage, but it worked only about once every 50 tries. A replacement card didn't work any better. After a couple of occasions getting stuck at the exit gate with unhappy drivers lined up behind me, I started telling bell staff in advance every time I went to get the car so they could let me out manually.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
On weekends, what conditions (e.g., level of status), if any, must be met?

I ask because I stayed at this property last year. Before the visit, I called to ask if the lounge was open on weekends; I was told "yes," but the person I spoke with didn't bother explaining that while the lounge is technically "open" on weekends, there's no meaningful food service from Friday evening to Sunday evening. About all you can do is grab a can of chilled soda.
Right, they do let you have access all weekend but there isn't service. They stock the fridges on Friday but don't typically replenish anything after that, so by Sunday a lot of everything is out. However, I find it very nice to still let Globalists access and use up whatever waters, sodas, sometimes snacks, they have, and get coffee from the machine. I've gotten kind of annoyed at how most all other places that have lounges closed on weekends lock the doors and don't give you anything more than a couple of waters (plus the owed breakfast benefit). I've seen a couple of times when people have abused this system though and throw a party on a Friday or Saturday night with friends/family and raid the entire place.

On arriving & discovering this unhappy circumstance, I complained at the front desk. They gave me vouchers, but I assumed it was only because I'd arguably been misled by the earlier staffer & then complained about it. Did you get vouchers at check-in without having to ask?
I have had to ask maybe twice out of 24 times over the last two years for breakfast 'vouchers' (and a couple other times, about the free parking on pts stays). The front desk is typically good about knowing the benefits, but slip ups occur. If you are a globalist, you get free breakfast and this property does so through vouchers.

I agree with the post above that the breakfast in the restaurant is pretty good. The voucher isn't much, but will get you coffee and a hot meal. It's been a while, but sometimes they do a breakfast buffet as well which is covered by the voucher, and usually pretty good ( stuff is hot and fresh, you just have to deal with waiting for something to come out though because they only put out so much to keep it fresh). My experiences are that tips and extras will get charged to your room if you fill out a bill with the vouchers, but half the time the waiter takes the voucher and wishes you good day and that's that. Also, the food and drinks in the evening are decent, and they credit the entire bill towards base spend and all the points that come with it.

On an unrelated note, have they gotten the city to fix the issues with the municipal garage next door, which the hotel uses? The hotel gave me a mag-stripe(!) card for swiping out of the garage, but it worked only about once every 50 tries. A replacement card didn't work any better. After a couple of occasions getting stuck at the exit gate with unhappy drivers lined up behind me, I started telling bell staff in advance every time I went to get the car so they could let me out manually.
I've had a couple issues with this too, but usually get two cards (one for me, one for the wife) -- she puts it in her cell phone so usually hers stops working, but mine (stored in a different pocket than my cell phone) usually works through the weekend. (Your line of cars comments reminds me that with the parking card at HC Waikiki, I had an impossible time with and had to run to get help like three times in two days -- twice because the key wasn't working at all and once because the key said I already had my car 'out' because it apparently didn't scan 'in' correctly the previous trip).
Old Nov 25, 2019, 3:42 pm

I find it very nice to still let Globalists access and use up whatever waters, sodas, sometimes snacks, they have, and get coffee from the machine.
Explorists, too.

I have had to ask maybe twice out of 24 times over the last two years for breakfast 'vouchers' (and a couple other times, about the free parking on pts stays). The front desk is typically good about knowing the benefits, but slip ups occur. If you are a globalist, you get free breakfast and this property does so through vouchers.
I was (and remain) an Explorist, and used a lounge upgrade cert.

My interest in knowing how this should play out isn't entirely academic, either. I'm going back again soon; using another cert (this time for a stay split across weekdays/weekend); and wondering how it will, or should, play out.

I agree with the post above that the breakfast in the restaurant is pretty good. The voucher isn't much, but will get you coffee and a hot meal.
We didn't get a buffet, but there was a bacon/eggs/toast option--perhaps even specified on the vouchers we got--that was more than enough to satisfy the average appetite.

[re parking] I've had a couple issues with this too, but usually get two cards (one for me, one for the wife) -- she puts it in her cell phone so usually hers stops working, but mine (stored in a different pocket than my cell phone) usually works through the weekend.
I kept mine in my wallet, so degaussing seems to be unlikely as an explanation.

The real scandal here is that in 2019 the Hyatt won't pay for a proximity-card reader for use by guests. (C'mon, guys, wake up and smell the contactless technology!)
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: Globallist
Anyone, as a Globalist, have any luck being upgraded to a Presidential Suite here? We have a one night, family event here. 4 rooms overall, one room Executive Suite as a Globalist. I've been told a little of everything here. I've told the Presidential Suite cannot be booked online. I've been told by CS its 400$ a night for your night, but I cant book it, you have to call the hotel directly. I've called the hotel directly, they've sent me to Central reservations. I called the Globie line, was put on hold for over 10 minutes. I called the Hotel again, then was quoted $800(?), am I in Maui? In the end, not a huge deal, was just hoping to have it for our Family get together, DEC 26th for 1 night. It REALLY can't be a slower night, is my guess.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:42 pm

I've had a couple issues with this too, but usually get two cards (one for me, one for the wife) -- she puts it in her cell phone so usually hers stops working, but mine (stored in a different pocket than my cell phone) usually works through the weekend.
I kept mine in my wallet, so degaussing seems to be unlikely as an explanation.

The real scandal here is that in 2019 the Hyatt won't pay for a proximity-card reader for use by guests. (C'mon, guys, wake up and smell the contactless technology!)
UPDATE: The Tulsa Hyatt Regency has indeed upped its game for the better. When you check in & request parking privileges, they text a QR code to your cell phone. Brand new readers at the gates of the city garage next door are in place and work reliably. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.