Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:37 pm

Just a heads up to everyone - 11am is definitely the earliest flight they will put you on.

We landed at MLE at 5:30am this morning and are currently in a lounge with 100+ Chinese people as we wait 5.5 hours for our flight to Kooddoo.

Hardly a luxury beginning!
shuuy likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:51 pm

Was everyone going to park hyatt maldives?? I certainly hope not.... Is the lounge shared by other hotels.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by shadowlines
Was everyone going to park hyatt maldives?? I certainly hope not.... Is the lounge shared by other hotels.
Nope, most going elsehwere. Three couples total were PH, but we didn’t know until getting onto the golf cart for the boat.

The Kooddoo flight was also delayed by one hour, so we waited in the gate area for about 2 hours.

The hotel is very, very nice. Nicer than I expected even. Feels more Robinson Caruso/remote than I anticipated. I am really loving it.

I really have to mull over the 6 hour airport airport + 2 hours of transfer experience. Will be hard to recommend the hotel to my busy/affluent friends with that kind of wait time.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:54 pm

I find it weird that water is free and unmlited everywhere but dinner. 8 steps away from the table it is free in coolers by the pool, but they still charge you if you order it at the table.
shuuy likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dval44
I really have to mull over the 6 hour airport airport + 2 hours of transfer experience. Will be hard to recommend the hotel to my busy/affluent friends with that kind of wait time.
The solution is not to arrive at 5:30 a.m., or to spend a day in Male. The QR flight arrives at 9 a.m. and makes for an easier connection to the 11 a.m. MLE-GKK. The problem with arriving 5:30 is it's not early enough to catch the 6 a.m. flight, and I don't think Maldivian necessarily even runs flights between 6 and 11. At least not at the moment/for the past few months? (All this info was upthread in this thread, too. When I went a few months ago, the hotel certainly offered to put me on the 6 a.m. flight, so long as I arrived at the check-in desk by 5 a.m. when it closed and didn't mind taking a connecting flight instead of a nonstop... needless to say, we went for the 11 a.m. instead!)

In any event, my recommendation of this hotel has so far come with a warning to take the QR flight, or the EY flight (but lose a few extra hours at the PH) or spend a day in MLE (which wife & I honestly enjoyed, even though it gets a bad rap).

I find it weird that water is free and unmlited everywhere but dinner. 8 steps away from the table it is free in coolers by the pool, but they still charge you if you order it at the table.

This was a complaint of mine, too.
skywalkerLAX and tearex like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Will be hard to recommend the hotel to my busy/affluent friends with that kind of wait time.
LOL

Just don't arrive at 5:30am. We flew in from Paris and our connection left maybe 90 mins later. The adventure of getting there is part of what makes it special.

As for the water, get the PAI package and its not an issue.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:53 pm

I see some back and forth on this recently. What's the current state regarding getting the Hyatt points for the transfer via CC? Obviously getting the 9x + bonus based on status would be great.

I assume the meal plan and activity parts still work given that it's charged via the hotel.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:46 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The transfer timings here are well known. You will lose up to a day in each direction.

If it’s an issue then stay at a resort that have direct seaplane transfers. But the distance of the resort is one of the attractions as is the house reef.

Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
The transfer timings here are well known. You will lose up to a day in each direction.

If it’s an issue then stay at a resort that have direct seaplane transfers. But the distance of the resort is one of the attractions as is the house reef.

yeah, and anyone I recommend I can stress the importance of transfer time.

I think it would be nice if the hotel upon booking if they said, “We strongly recommend landing at MLE between 10am and 5pm to assure minimal transfer time” or something like that.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by WillSkiGT

Makes no sense to do open bar and not PAI, IMO
the benefit for us is being able to turn it on and off. So all you can drink one day out of four makes more sense for us than PAI for all 4
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:43 am

We are on the QR 6:30pm out of MLE, and The PH aid putting us on a boat leaving at 11:30 (really 10:30am Male time).

So a full 8 hours before our flight leaves for a 1.5 hour transfer.

I know many on this forum think it’s my fault for not knowing when exactly the transfers are, but 8 hours on both ends of a short vacation really stinks.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:46 am

We are on the QR 6:30pm out of MLE, and The PH aid putting us on a boat leaving at 11:30 (really 10:30am Male time).

So a full 8 hours before our flight leaves for a 1.5 hour transfer.

I know many on this forum think it’s my fault for not knowing when exactly the transfers are, but 8 hours on both ends of a short vacation really stinks.
I don't think people are finding you at fault for not knowing when the transfers occur, but it should be pretty apparent from the dozens of reviews that the transfer process does take a good bit of time.

Maldivian operates 5 flights daily from GKK (Kooddoo) to MLE:

6:25a-7:30a (nonstop)
9:35a-10:40a (nonstop)
12:20p-1:25p (nonstop)
3:20p-5:05p (1 stop)
7:40p-8:45p (1 stop)

Flights can be delayed due to weather, operational issues, etc. If they put you on the 1 stop at 3:20p, there is a chance you could miss your connection, since you'd only have 85 minutes to connect if both legs of GKK-KDO-MLE are on time (and they often are not).

So they put you on the 12:20p flight, and you left the resort 110 minutes before the flight departed. All seems pretty reasonable.

The transfer time from MLE-GKK-PH can consume the majority of your arrival or departure day (or both in many cases). That's why you should stay longer - it defrays the daily cost of the transfer, and you get to actually relax. It blows my mind when I see travel bloggers flying from LAX-DXB-MLE for a 4 night stay - you're traveling more than actually staying at the hotel!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
Maldivian operates 5 flights daily from GKK (Kooddoo) to MLE:
6:25a-7:30a (nonstop)
9:35a-10:40a (nonstop)
12:20p-1:25p (nonstop)
3:20p-5:05p (1 stop)
7:40p-8:45p (1 stop)
I think the 1-stop/non-stop is variable - I took the 19h40 and was non-stop...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:22 pm

What's the current flight schedule for MLE to GKK? I expect a long time for transfers...

Arrival flight: TR 588 arriving at 8:50 PM at MLE
Departure flight: TR 589 leaving at 9:50 PM at MLE

Is my only option to get room service on arrival so we would have something to eat and not starve until next morning?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by opiuman
What's the current flight schedule for MLE to GKK? I expect a long time for transfers...

Arrival flight: TR 588 arriving at 8:50 PM at MLE
Departure flight: TR 589 leaving at 9:50 PM at MLE

Is my only option to get room service on arrival so we would have something to eat and not starve until next morning?
Do they even allow you to transfer to the PH that late?

The only available flight for you is MLE-KDO-GKK, departing at 11:30pm and arriving at 1:15am. That's 2:15am resort time, so with the speedboat, getting settled, etc, you won't be in your room and asleep until after 3am. Does not sound like a great way to start a trip, to be honest.

You'll probably leave the resort around 2:30pm (1:30pm Male time) to catch the 3:20pm flight back to MLE.

Last edited by WillSkiGT; Jan 29, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.