Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by olouie

Would love to know as well. I like my booze so would do the full package and drinks, but the wifey barely can drink a glass of wine so that doesn’t make sense for her. Same with food :-) I’ll eat my moneys worth but she def won’t.
I decided to just email them and they said no, all people in the villa must be on the same plan. Totally understandable, imo.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by dval44
I decided to just email them and they said no, all people in the villa must be on the same plan. Totally understandable, imo.
Makes sense.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by andreiz
Any advice on where to stay near the Male airport? I'll be flying in too late to transfer to PH, so need to spend the night somewhere.
Plenty of low-cost lodging options in Hulhumale (the same island as the airport) or take a ferry to the main island (Male) for more options plus you can spend some time exploring Male.
We stayed in Hulhumale (a place called h78 ) a couple years ago before the seaplane flight to the Conrad, will stay there again next year.
Transfer to/from the lodging will be easier if the lodging comes with this service whether it's included or extra.
It's all seemless as the lodging and the resort work together as "one island" to help us with the logistic.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How is the reef these days? The fact that the reef seems to be in much better condition than the ones at the St Regis (for example) is one of the biggest reasons I'm picking the PH over that hotel. Has the situation gotten any worse over the past year with regards to bleaching or has it mostly been the same?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Any advice on where to stay near the Male airport? I'll be flying in too late to transfer to PH, so need to spend the night somewhere.
We did an overnight in Hulhumale. We stayed at the Hotel Ocean Grand. For what it was, it was a great stay. Wonderful TA reviews led us to the spot, and the fact that I did not feel comfortable taking a ferry in the dark of night with my toddler in tow. The hotel can be reached by a short 10 minute van ride around the airport. They handled pick up at the airport, and coordinated with the PH Maldives on departure the next day. Helped with bags and navigating the airport. Upon arrival they greeted my family with tropical drinks while we handled check in lounging on the sofas. Many of the women employees took turns passing around my 2 year old. It was quite a wonderful experience actually. Morning breakfast spread was simple but adequate. Rooms were clean and AC was cold, just don't expect 5 star accommodations. Before you know it you'll be on your way to the Park Hyatt. Would totally recommend it for a relaxing overnight in Male/Hulhumale.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jasonvr
  • I wish the pool was open later. It shut down at 7pm, and given the temperature at the resort, there was never a time where it wasn't warm enough to swim. My gut says this is due to the layout of the hotel. The restaurant and bar look directly at the main pool and I can imagine that the resort really doesn't want people frolicking in the pool while people are trying to have dinner.
IIRC the Vidhun spa pool is open later, for this reason (pool frolicking while guests are eating). The view is admittedly not as good, but it is a pool.

You're right, it is a bit of a bummer.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Few more questions:
-if you were paying straight up for it, would you still do the private beach dinner, or no?
-was the chateaubriand worth the effort of having it served in the dining room?
-when does the bar close? it says "10 a.m. to late" -- is it the sort of thing where they'll stay up until 2 a.m. slinging 'em if we're sitting there imbibing, or does it shut down on the early side?
We were there in peak season (mid-December) and our "private" beach dinner was one of four happening simultaneously on the main beach. If we were not on the AI package and had paid extra, I would have been pretty aggravated. As it was, it was free, and it rained for about 1 minute, clearing the other 3 folks out. We were wearing bathing suits and linen and didn't care if we got wet.

Chateaubriand is excellent, the chef comes and talks with you, was a cool experience but it is a serious amount of food - we struggled to finish it. Again, if not on the AI package, we probably would have skipped it.

My body clock was way out of wack when we arrived - the bar stayed open well past midnight hotel time (+1 hr vs Male) and it was just myself and one other American hanging out.

I'm booking ticket for CMB-MLE and would welcome some help on which return flight to choose. PH says this:

My onward flight from CMB leaves at 0:55. I could take Sri Lankan flight leaving at 15:25 (arriving 17:20) or at 20:45 (arriving 22:40), so theoretically there should be enough time if I take the later flight. Obviously, I'd like to take advantage of late checkout and spend more time at the resort. However, if the Kooddoo-MLE transfer is delayed a lot, I could miss the last flight of the day to MLE and the onward flight.

Any experience with the Maldives transfer planes and whether they usually run on time?
If there are delay concerns (weather or otherwise), the hotel stays on top of them quite well. We were hanging out with another couple in the bar area on their last day and the flights to MLE were beginning to be delayed. The hotel immediately told them to pack and head out to the airport to put them on an earlier flight so they wouldn't miss their connection to HKG.

Originally Posted by Martellus
How is the reef these days? The fact that the reef seems to be in much better condition than the ones at the St Regis (for example) is one of the biggest reasons I'm picking the PH over that hotel. Has the situation gotten any worse over the past year with regards to bleaching or has it mostly been the same?
Can only speak for 8 months ago (Dec 2017), but it was in pretty good shape from east of the dusk jetty around to the overwater bungalows. The best areas are from 100 yards east of the dusk jetty to 300 yards west of the dusk jetty. The eastern side around to the dawn jetty and on to the overwater bungalows (basically the south side of the island) isn't in great shape, and anything in less than 6 feet of water (main lagoon area) is bleached. Can only imagine what it must have been like a decade ago, but I still saw turtles, dolphins, spotted eagle rays, 3 shark species, crown of thorns, clownfish, anemones, giant clams, titan triggerfish, etc. Great snorkeling, despite the bleaching.

Last edited by WillSkiGT; Aug 31, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by WillSkiGT
We were there in peak season (mid-December) and our "private beach dinner was one of four happening simultaneously on the main beach. If we were on the AI package, I would have been pretty aggravated. As it was, it was free, and it rained for about 1 minute, clearing the other 3 folks out. We were wearing bathing suits and linen and didn't care if we got wet.

Chateaubriand is excellent, the chef comes and talks with you, was a cool experience but it is a serious amount of food - we struggled to finish it. Again, if not on the AI package, we probably would have skipped it.

My body clock was way out of wack when we arrived - the bar stayed open well past midnight hotel time (+1 hr vs Male) and it was just myself and one other American hanging out.

Can only speak for 8 months ago (Dec 2017), but it was in pretty good shape from east of the dusk jetty around to the overwater bungalows. The best areas are from 100 yards east of the dusk jetty to 300 yards west of the dusk jetty. The eastern side around to the dawn jetty and on to the overwater bungalows (basically the south side of the island) isn't in great shape, and anything in less than 6 feet of water (main lagoon area) is bleached. Can only imagine what it must have been like a decade ago, but I still saw turtles, dolphins, spotted eagle rays, 3 shark species, crown of thorns, clownfish, anemones, giant clams, titan triggerfish, etc. Great snorkeling, despite the bleaching.
Thanks for all of this great info. Getting more and more excited...
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by lagunas2k
We did an overnight in Hulhumale. We stayed at the Hotel Ocean Grand. For what it was, it was a great stay. Wonderful TA reviews led us to the spot, and the fact that I did not feel comfortable taking a ferry in the dark of night with my toddler in tow. The hotel can be reached by a short 10 minute van ride around the airport. They handled pick up at the airport, and coordinated with the PH Maldives on departure the next day. Helped with bags and navigating the airport. Upon arrival they greeted my family with tropical drinks while we handled check in lounging on the sofas. Many of the women employees took turns passing around my 2 year old. It was quite a wonderful experience actually. Morning breakfast spread was simple but adequate. Rooms were clean and AC was cold, just don't expect 5 star accommodations. Before you know it you'll be on your way to the Park Hyatt. Would totally recommend it for a relaxing overnight in Male/Hulhumale.
Thank you – booked Hotel Ocean Grand for overnighting after the flight in.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:16 pm

Here comes that villa # question... I will be at PHH at the end of October. I already requested a Park Villa with good beach space for that time of the year, but in case they upgrade me to Park Pool Villa (as Globalist), which pool villa would you recommend? How are 11-18? I read the post linked to in the wiki, but it's a few years old and things may have changed.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Here comes that villa # question... I will be at PHH at the end of October. I already requested a Park Villa with good beach space for that time of the year, but in case they upgrade me to Park Pool Villa (as Globalist), which pool villa would you recommend? How are 11-18? I read the post linked to in the wiki, but it's a few years old and things may have changed.
I asked this to the GM when I was there in November, and his response was it can change on a weekly if not daily basis. Yes there are some generalities regarding which villas have good beach frontage, but the tide can and does shift the beach space often. I think the best you can do is tell the staff before you arrive what you are looking for: Beach frontage, privacy, etc. As a globalist they are likely to accommodate you in one of the best spots, but if you're not happy, you can always bring it up and they can try their best to re-accommodate you. We moved from a standard villa to a deluxe pool villa during our stay and it was actually kind of nice to experience different parts of the island (sunrise vs. sunset and proximity to jetty etc). The staff usually goes above and beyond to meet expectations regardless of "status." For example, our flights were leaving late in the evening from Male around 8 PM, and they needed our deluxe pool villa for a guest arriving so could not provide late check out. Given we had a toddler with us, they were very sympathetic for our needs to have a place for him to nap etc. They then transferred us to 2 bedroom deluxe pool villa to use until our departure. It was a wonderful gesture, and we were lowly discoverists at the time.
andreiz and Sinter like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I just returned from the property last week and had made a similar request for beach frontage. Ultimately, we walked most of the perimeter of the island to see which villas had superior beach frontage (presently). I specifically recall that the area around villa 10 had very deep beach frontage and nice access the the water. Starting around villa 19, the beach was almost non-existent and near the jetty, it was completely rock and not possible to walk down the shoreline.

The Dhoni is still under construction, but its not very noticeable. The public beach is terrific and largely vacant. The outer two overwater villas are both closed for renovations. It appears pools are being added to the back decks of each villa. Further, I noticed that there are 8 AC lines running out of the villas (as opposed to 4 on the others), so perhaps they are doubling that air-conditioning capacity.

Also, the property just received new 50-inch Sony TVs and those are being installed in all of the villas over the span of the upcoming weeks.
platbrownguy and lagunas2k like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, HH Dia
11-18 should be great for that time of year - they had the largest beaches of any area except the main beach when we were there in December. Really, any villa from 10-25 is good - far from both jetties and decent beaches. The widest beach is around villas 14/15 and 18/19 (pool villas), and those also have decent setback from the beach so you have privacy in the pool area.

Originally Posted by lagunas2k
The staff usually goes above and beyond to meet expectations regardless of "status." For example, our flights were leaving late in the evening from Male around 8 PM, and they needed our deluxe pool villa for a guest arriving so could not provide late check out. Given we had a toddler with us, they were very sympathetic for our needs to have a place for him to nap etc. They then transferred us to 2 bedroom deluxe pool villa to use until our departure. It was a wonderful gesture, and we were lowly discoverists at the time.
This. We were at the hotel for 10 nights during peak season on a points/free nights stay with the AI package. My wife has no status and I am a Discoverist purely due to the credit card. The first 9 nights we were in Villa 23, a standard villa (no pool). We got upgraded to an overwater villa (42) for the last night for no apparent reason other than our host was able to do it. Pretty awesome, especially given the hotel was close to 100% capacity.

Last edited by WillSkiGT; Aug 31, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:36 pm

We were lucky enough to do our honeymoon at this amazing location and property!! The service was impeccable and overall experience was outstanding! This trip will be very close to my heart since it was our honeymoon! We have written a review of Park Hyatt Maldives and our trip to help others out, check out the blog by hitting signature link!
If there are any questions in particular feel free to post here or pm me!!
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob AA Plat
Edited

Last edited by gates_2; Oct 13, 2018 at 7:41 pm
Old Oct 17, 2018, 4:56 pm

Is it possible to pay for the Male-Kododoo plane transfer with a separate card (thinking Amex Platinum for points) or does it just go onto your hotel folio?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.