Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:16 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Well if you're unhappy with your accommodation when you arrive I don't see why you wouldn't still be able to have that conversation. Although I think the upgrade process at this property is much more transparent than at a lot of other properties (i.e. you'll get an upgrade to a pool villa if it's available; anything above and beyond that you will have to pony up some decent cash).
No it is not transparent, we got no upgrade at first at all (even with availibility) and even after we had to move after major sewage problems, we had to ask to get an upgrade.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by peter42
No it is not transparent, we got no upgrade at first at all (even with availibility) and even after we had to move after major sewage problems, we had to ask to get an upgrade.
This is what I'm afraid of...I have a type A personality and I don't like leaving such an important part of my honeymoon on the hands of "the system", even if it is a very good system most of the time.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
I do not wish to offend anyone. I am seeking advice on how to maximize my chances of securing room upgrades. I think I have a couple of things going for me. I am a Diamond and I will be traveling in low season. I am hoping for a way to not only get the Pool Villa, but possibly the Water Villa for a couple of nights. This is my honeymoon so I want the best - free if possible. Again I hope this doesn't offend everyone but I really would like advice on how to get it done.
I don't think you're offending anyone. When you ask about using the "20 dollar trick", it's laughable for those of us who have been. Most of us are savvy in figuring out how to maximize points and miles to get the most free, but while I wouldn't put any extra money up for a pool villa, I would not be leaving the water villa up for chance. I'd strongly advise sucking it up and forking out the extra for the water villa upgrade (if just for a night or two). If they're gone, no amount of sweet talking is going to do you any good. And if they're not gone, you either get it comped if you're lucky or you may be able to negotiate on site. But for someone who says they don't like leaving things up for chance, you really don't have much of an option but to pay in advance to upgrade. If they were DSU eligible, it'd be a different story.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Room selection for standard beach villa?
We will be at Park Hyatt in January. Looking for best beach villa with access to good snorkeling beach and hopefully some shade. ( husband - sun sensitive) I understand " beach moves thoughout year - for January would villa 20-26 be the ones to ask for?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by joecool1885
I don't think you're offending anyone. When you ask about using the "20 dollar trick", it's laughable for those of us who have been. Most of us are savvy in figuring out how to maximize points and miles to get the most free, but while I wouldn't put any extra money up for a pool villa, I would not be leaving the water villa up for chance. I'd strongly advise sucking it up and forking out the extra for the water villa upgrade (if just for a night or two). If they're gone, no amount of sweet talking is going to do you any good. And if they're not gone, you either get it comped if you're lucky or you may be able to negotiate on site. But for someone who says they don't like leaving things up for chance, you really don't have much of an option but to pay in advance to upgrade. If they were DSU eligible, it'd be a different story.
I am staying there for 10 days in the end of August. If for the entirety of those 10 days there are no water villas available for even one or two nights, then I think they should stop calling it low season.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
I do not wish to offend anyone. I am seeking advice on how to maximize my chances of securing room upgrades. I think I have a couple of things going for me. I am a Diamond and I will be traveling in low season. I am hoping for a way to not only get the Pool Villa, but possibly the Water Villa for a couple of nights. This is my honeymoon so I want the best - free if possible. Again I hope this doesn't offend everyone but I really would like advice on how to get it done.
I understand. My suggestion is calling a week or two before arrival and talking the the FO manager (not just anyone). Then a week or a few days before arrival call and/or email back. Let him/her know you have a special trip and request a special room, based on availability of course.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I am staying there for 10 days in the end of August. If for the entirety of those 10 days there are no water villas available for even one or two nights, then I think they should stop calling it low season.
Why don't you contact the hotel directly... only they know what's available and what upgrades might be possible.

Hotels are unlikely to make guests move during a stay, so a long stay normally deters a hotel from upgrading you for just a few nights. So ask them nicely that you would appreciate an upgrade if available, even for a few nights, and take your chances on arrival. Or pay the upgrade fee for a few nights and know in advance that you will get the room you payed for. The additional revenue is also likely to improve your odds for an extended upgrade.

And low season won't guarantee they will have rooms available, nor that other people won't pay for the upgrade. And you might also not be the only Diamond there, and some might rank way higher than you for getting the upgrade.

From what I see in your responses you seem to bet on that free upgrade, and otherwise you will be very disappointed. But it won't be guaranteed. Only way to know in advance is to pay the upcharge.

Last edited by RTW1; Aug 13, 2016 at 7:15 am
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
Why don't you contact the hotel directly... only they know what's available and what upgrades might be possible.

Hotels are unlikely to make guests move during a stay, so a long stay normally deters a hotel from upgrading you for just a few nights. So ask them nicely that you would appreciate an upgrade if available, even for a few nights, and take your chances on arrival. Or pay the upgrade fee for a few nights and know in advance that you will get the room you payed for. The additional revenue is also likely to improve your odds for an extended upgrade.

And low season won't guarantee they will have rooms available, nor that other people won't pay for the upgrade. And you might also not be the only Diamond there, and some might rank way higher than you for getting the upgrade.

From what I see in your responses you seem to bet on that free upgrade, and otherwise you will be very disappointed. But it won't be guaranteed. Only way to know in advance is to pay the upcharge.
Thank you for your 4 (or 5? I stopped counting) posts essentially saying the same thing, that I should pay for a guaranteed upgrade or I may be disappointed by taking my chances and then not having a villa available.

I think I finally get it now...your last post really hit it home. Thank you for your help. Pay = guaranteed upgrade; No pay = taking a risk. Got it.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:57 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Sometimes the answer stays the same no matter how often you ask. But enjou your stay.

Last edited by RTW1; Aug 14, 2016 at 8:01 am
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
This is what I'm afraid of...I have a type A personality and I don't like leaving such an important part of my honeymoon on the hands of "the system", even if it is a very good system most of the time.
RTW1 is giving you good advice. You will have a phenomenal honeymoon. Since this is an important trip, I would recommend paying in advance for the upgrade, if the Water Villa is that important to you. Then you don't have to worry about it, otherwise, you are rolling the dice.

We split our trip between the Park Villa and the Park Water Villa and really enjoyed both.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
It's different because in all hotels I've been to I have been able to chat with someone at the front desk to usually some pretty good results.
how many honeymoons have you had?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:49 pm

Even in low season, I don't think PH is obligated to upgrade to water villa. I've only heard of upgrades to pool villa as a Diamond upgrade.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Even in low season, I don't think PH is obligated to upgrade to water villa. I've only heard of upgrades to pool villa as a Diamond upgrade.
Not true. I called and emailed in advance and I was given OW (and #51 at that!), using 2 CC nights and seven nights on points. But, this was before they created the cash upgrade "product".
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Not true. I called and emailed in advance and I was given OW (and #51 at that!), using 2 CC nights and seven nights on points. But, this was before they created the cash upgrade "product".
They are most definitely not obligated to upgrade to water villa. They are obligated to upgrade diamonds to pool villa if there is availability. With water villas, even if there is availability they have 0 obligations to upgrade.

With that said, we are humans and humans sometimes don't follow the rules.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:38 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
They are most definitely not obligated to upgrade to water villa. They are obligated to upgrade diamonds to pool villa if there is availability. With water villas, even if there is availability they have 0 obligations to upgrade.

With that said, we are humans and humans sometimes don't follow the rules.
As the Villas are considered suites, they do not have to upgrade at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.