Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:18 pm

Thanks for the clarification, everybody. Regarding the water villas, I am not sure which to request. #51 seems the most private since it doesn't look onto any other villa, but I see there is a large public area on the jetty in plain view from the deck of the villa. It is my understanding that they stage private dinners on this jetty and that there is usually a group of people at sunset time. Perhaps #50 would be more preferable if this is the case? I definitely want to be as far at the end of the jetty as possible.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Thanks for the clarification, everybody. Regarding the water villas, I am not sure which to request. #51 seems the most private since it doesn't look onto any other villa, but I see there is a large public area on the jetty in plain view from the deck of the villa. It is my understanding that they stage private dinners on this jetty and that there is usually a group of people at sunset time. Perhaps #50 would be more preferable if this is the case? I definitely want to be as far at the end of the jetty as possible.
I've stayed in villa #51 twice. Last year people did go out to the end of the dock during the day on occasion. It wasn't anything like a constant stream, but you did see people. This year the spot it now blocked, they have put up a barricade of sorts that prevents anyone from walking out to the end of the pier. So #51 is absolutely the most private. You can request it of course but there's no way for them to guarantee it in advance.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gleff
I've stayed in villa #51 twice. Last year people did go out to the end of the dock during the day on occasion. It wasn't anything like a constant stream, but you did see people. This year the spot it now blocked, they have put up a barricade of sorts that prevents anyone from walking out to the end of the pier. So #51 is absolutely the most private. You can request it of course but there's no way for them to guarantee it in advance.
So that's what that deck is for -- private dinners and such. When we were there last month, we wondered if it's just a platform for more villas to be put there. Good to know~
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:31 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyhen
So that's what that deck is for -- private dinners and such. When we were there last month, we wondered if it's just a platform for more villas to be put there. Good to know~
I was told they are constructing something there. I imagine a small function space.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 7:34 pm

I think someone mentioned that they are building a Presidential Villa on that spot.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 1:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Anyone tried or experienced the ceremonial wedding there?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by travelkid
Anyone tried or experienced the ceremonial wedding there?
Couldn't get wife to re-up our vows

Seems some of reviews on Trip Advisor were weddings
Old Mar 5, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Now that I had some time to unwind from the trip to the other side of the planet let me comment on some of our experiences at this hotel. Our visit was in late February and we stayed for 7 nights.

Accommodations: We were assigned villa 31 for the duration of our stay. It is the basic room type at this resort but we found it to be very good. We had minimal issues with ants, probably because we were careful not to leave any food in the open. The internet speed was adequate and we had little issues completing daily Skype calls to the US. The location of the villa was perfect for us as it was right by the dawn jetty and it cut our walking to the deep water entry points significantly. The beach in front of the villa was not eroded at this time of the year and it had a decent span of corral-free water where we could just spend some time enjoying the water without having to worry about stepping on the corrals. We also had the opportunity to check out other types of villas and IMO we did not miss on anything by staying in the basic villa. The upgrade to the pool villas is pointless since the "pool" is really small and resembles the tub more than anything else. The OW villas are nice but the major drawback in our opinion is the fact that once you go down the ladders you enter the water in the middle of the corral-rich zone, which can be a big issue during the low tide. Since there are no ladders at the end of the OW dock, the closest point where one could enter the deep water would be at the end of the 2 jetties which would be a significant hike.

Restaurants: the food is of good quality and the portions are adequate for our taste. The amount of food is definitely smaller than what one would expect based on the typical US restaurant experience (which is too much food IMO). That being said, the food is nothing spectacular and should be better for the prices they charge. What ticked us the most was the fact that they charge $4.50/person for water during dinner - the same water they provide for free during breakfast and in the villas. The other major complaint we had was the service during meals (regardless of the time of the day although early breakfasts were notoriously bad). It takes way too long for the servers to bring even the basic stuff like the above mentioned water and the food took on average 40 minutes to arrive during the dinners in the main restaurant. The fact that multiple servers show up at your table during a single meal lead to confusion and on more than one occasion we were asked about part of our order (e.g. coffee, juice, condiments, etc.) multiple times. There seems to be no accountability when it comes to service issues as no one "owns" a single table/group of tables. The only exception to this lack of service was the Island Grill, probably due to the fact that you can see the cooks and servers right in front of you and they have no way of hiding behind the walls. To be fair, the executive chef did a great job accommodating our specific diet and has personally showed up at our table on several occasions to make sure that there were no issues with the ingredients used in our meals.

Activities & Spa: we went with the 3-day couples massage offering and it was great. On the first day we were also offered a complementary 30 minute head or foot massage, which was a nice touch. We also went on a traditional Maldivian fishing trip and had a nice time. The crew was helpful and between 2 of we caught a lot of fish using just the line and the hook. Most of it was the red snapper although we got one white snapper and one small barracuda. The fact that we were able to get some of that fish prepared for us in the restaurant that same evening added to our satisfaction. The first fish was free and the other ones were $25 each, which we found to be reasonable. We have also rented the underwater camera for 4 hours ($60 + tax) and the quality of pictures we took was good. My gripe with this experience was with the fact that the lever that controls the zoom was broken (based on the comment by one of the staff within a month of purchasing the enclosure) and I had to get very close to the objects I was shooting to get good pictures. I definitely expect a fully operational camera if I am paying this much to rent it from them - based on availability they are probably raking in close to $100/day from renting it out and it makes zero sense not to get another enclosure when they can pay off the investment within 2 days. Little things like this really put a dent in our experience at PH Maldives.

Diamond recognition: very spotty and very inconsistent. At the time of our visit the hotel was at the maximum capacity and I was very happy that we were given the villa on the side of the island we requested. I assume our preference was honored b/c of my diamond status. At check in we were not given any information regarding any special offerings for diamond members. Only after I asked on our way to the villa we were told that we were entitled to 2 cocktails/mixed drinks at the bar without any mention of the time of the day limitations. It turned out that the offer stands only between 6 and 8 PM (sun-downers) and as a result we were charged for the first 2 cocktails on 5 of our 7 days. When I pointed out the vagueness of the initial description at check out I was given a lukewarm apology and the charge remained on the final bill. I did not feel like ruining my mood on the last day on the island so I let it slide but it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. They need to be very clear when disclosing what is included for diamonds. Other than those cocktails and the welcome bottle of Proseco sparkling wine (top 3 cheapest bottle of wine on their menu) we did not get any special recognition due to our diamond status. Given the fact that the breakfast and internet is included for all guests I feel that this hotel needs to do decide what else they can do for the diamonds that visit their island and then do it consistently. Leaving your diamond guests feeling nickle-and-dimed is not a good way of doing this.

Overall, we had a good stay that could have been excellent had we not had the issues outlined above. IMO, this is a 4 (and maybe half) star hotel that still has some work to do to rise to the 5* level. The fact that the hotel is located on a beautiful island does not absolve the management and their staff from the work that needs to be put in to make this a truly 5* property.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by todorovic

Only after I asked on our way to the villa we were told that we were entitled to 2 cocktails/mixed drinks at the bar without any mention of the time of the day limitations. It turned out that the offer stands only between 6 and 8 PM (sun-downers) and as a result we were charged for the first 2 cocktails on 5 of our 7 days. When I pointed out the vagueness of the initial description at check out I was given a lukewarm apology and the charge remained on the final bill. I did not feel like ruining my mood on the last day on the island so I let it slide but it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. They need to be very clear when disclosing what is included for diamonds. Other than those cocktails and the welcome bottle of Proseco sparkling wine (top 3 cheapest bottle of wine on their menu) we did not get any special recognition due to our diamond status.
I agree that things are not clear. I thought we were told that the 2 for one happy hour was from 4-5:30 pm but we were charged regular prices for all of our drinks. When we checked out the guy checking us out did not know the times for happy hour, or personnel concierge was there at check out and didn't know (but he knew ever excursion/activity to sell us during our stay) so they called the bar. Apparently happy hour is 3-5pm. I never received any of our bar bills as we never wanted to wait around for the bill.

Same goes for the lunch menu, I could never find out the hours the lunch was served.

Not to rain on your diamond amenities but I received the sparkling wine as well and I'm platinum. Actually I think all guest receive the sparkling wine regardless of status so the only thing you may receive as diamond is the sun downer.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

we did not get any special recognition due to our diamond status. Given the fact that the breakfast and internet is included for all guests I feel that this hotel needs to do decide what else they can do for the diamonds that visit their island and then do it consistently.
I don't really get this part of your review.... you get exactly what you are entitled to as a Diamond. That all other guests also receive a "free" breakfast and internet doesn't mean you should get anything extra.

The free cocktails sounds nice. But they should be able to tell you exactly what the conditions are.... guess they found a way to offer a benefit that results in an unsatisfied customer.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:07 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I asked about the Diamond benefits on day 2, only because I knew through FT about the sundowners. The operator was unimpressed that we weren't told at check in by our host.

Frankly, I would go back and complain to GP and the property. This appears to be a consistent issue and you are entitled to a refund, at least, or GP points.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I asked about the Diamond benefits on day 2, only because I knew through FT about the sundowners. The operator was unimpressed that we weren't told at check in by our host.

Frankly, I would go back and complain to GP and the property. This appears to be a consistent issue and you are entitled to a refund, at least, or GP points.
You are entitled to nothing. Diamond benefits are delivered. Sun-downers are over and above

And people wonder why others think folks are over-entitled
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:22 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
You are entitled to nothing. Diamond benefits are delivered. Sun-downers are over and above

And people wonder why others think folks are over-entitled
If the property offers sundowners and canapes as a Diamond benefit, in writing and informed on property then you are entitled.

The above OP was also charged standard prices for drinks during happy hour.

FYI - we were charged standard pricing during happy hour, until we questioned it on the first day. Then they were all charged at 50%. If the OP also paid for a drink at the bar during the Diamond reception time (entitled to two sundowners and canapes) then that too would be ground for complaint.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 6:27 pm

It's odd that they would charge people regular prices during Happy Hour. Surely, the bar staff must be familiar with it given how long the resort has been open.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 7:49 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold

Restaurants: the food is of good quality and the portions are adequate for our taste. The amount of food is definitely smaller than what one would expect based on the typical US restaurant experience (which is too much food IMO). That being said, the food is nothing spectacular and should be better for the prices they charge. What ticked us the most was the fact that they charge $4.50/person for water during dinner - the same water they provide for free during breakfast and in the villas. The other major complaint we had was the service during meals (regardless of the time of the day although early breakfasts were notoriously bad). It takes way too long for the servers to bring even the basic stuff like the above mentioned water and the food took on average 40 minutes to arrive during the dinners in the main restaurant. The fact that multiple servers show up at your table during a single meal lead to confusion and on more than one occasion we were asked about part of our order (e.g. coffee, juice, condiments, etc.) multiple times. There seems to be no accountability when it comes to service issues as no one "owns" a single table/group of tables. The only exception to this lack of service was the Island Grill, probably due to the fact that you can see the cooks and servers right in front of you and they have no way of hiding behind the walls. To be fair, the executive chef did a great job accommodating our specific diet and has personally showed up at our table on several occasions to make sure that there were no issues with the ingredients used in our meals.
Fully agree taht the restaurant service was very slow and inconsistant, often we did not get what we ordered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.