Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: Globalist Hyatt, Diamond Hilton
Thanks for the info. I looked online and the local Maldivian Island is temporarily unavailable, but everything else you mentioned sounds really nice. Also, are there bathrooms on the boat? Since it's a 5-6 hour journey and we have two kids, might create an issue. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Originally Posted by mgef
Thanks for the info. I looked online and the local Maldivian Island is temporarily unavailable, but everything else you mentioned sounds really nice. Also, are there bathrooms on the boat? Since it's a 5-6 hour journey and we have two kids, might create an issue. Thanks for the feedback.
No bathrooms. The snorkel stop, which for us was after the local island visit, fishing and the dolphins, also ends up being the only "bathroom break" (in the water).
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyerStef
No bathrooms. The snorkel stop, which for us was after the local island visit, fishing and the dolphins, also ends up being the only "bathroom break" (in the water).
LOL. When I used to teach scuba diving for many years, I had a saying I often shared with students; there are two kinds of people in this world, those who pee in their wetsuits and those who lie about it

Regards
FlyerStef likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Kind of wish the resort would bring a yacht back into the picture. We were set to do the equator excursion back in 2016... cost was $2500, but it was going to be on a yacht.
They told us it was undergoing maintenance, and I guess they ended up selling it instead of bringing it back into service. We did the journey on a speedboat (for half the cost), and that's (on the equator) where wife and I got engaged.

Repeated the journey this year, and while it's still a great value proposition, we missed being able to go onto the local island.
Also, since we had relatives aboard who did not enjoy the bumps, we went extra slow on our journey down, which extended the trip by two hours (for better or worse). "Lunch" ended up being just before sunset at the picnic island.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mgef
What is the full equator tour? Do you just go to 0'0'0'? Anything else involved? Thanks.
You can also email the concierge to get a copy of the literature that shows the activities and their costs since that specifically doesn't appear on experienceparkhyattmaldives.com. I can upload the literature I received in 2019 (applicable to our stay in January 2020) unless anyone else has newer literature available.

I haven't see it recently mentioned, but we did the Traditional Fishing excursion and enjoyed it. It's not done by speedboat, but on a dhoni. Everyone (including the crew) had a blast. After the excursion, each person had a fish cooked for them at the dining room.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
You can also email the concierge to get a copy of the literature that shows the activities and their costs since that specifically doesn't appear on experienceparkhyattmaldives.com. I can upload the literature I received in 2019 (applicable to our stay in January 2020) unless anyone else has newer literature available.

I haven't see it recently mentioned, but we did the Traditional Fishing excursion and enjoyed it. It's not done by speedboat, but on a dhoni. Everyone (including the crew) had a blast. After the excursion, each person had a fish cooked for them at the dining room.
Just booked a few nights in January and the hotel sent me this sheet. Hope this helps anyone looking for info/costson the activities!

with the activities/costs. Hope this helps!
Old Dec 24, 2021, 10:42 am

For those who have been before, how have you handled individual staff tipping? I’ve read the tipping section at the top of the thread, but am having a tough time figuring out what might be considered appropriate given the service charges that are already included. What’s reasonable for housekeeping, wait staff/bartenders, hosts and excursion staff?
Old Dec 24, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Battleship
For those who have been before, how have you handled individual staff tipping? I’ve read the tipping section at the top of the thread, but am having a tough time figuring out what might be considered appropriate given the service charges that are already included. What’s reasonable for housekeeping, wait staff/bartenders, hosts and excursion staff?
Cash in hand goes to whoever you give it to, additional gratuity left on a bill is shared within that group (excursion shop, F&B, etc). We didn't feel obligated to tip generally. But we left a thank you note and a $20 for housekeeping, and the occasional $5 or $10 to a generous bartender. $50 to the Sri Lankan chef who made us a Thai feast at Drift (we were the only ones dining) and who found us and gave us top cuts of seafood at the seafood grill. The excursion team went above and beyond, so we gave each of the two guides a $100 tip. I don't think I ever had a reason to leave additional gratuity on the bill... better to give greenbacks to the person you want to tip. Also, at least as important is leaving a TripAdvisor review where you name the staff you thought were excellent -- there is some monthly contest where whoever gets the most mentions in online reviews gets a bonus. (The service charge, by the way, does in fact go to the staff -- when we did the back-of-house tour, they showed us where they post the monthly service charge collection totals in the staff area for all to see... everyone gets a cut plus a bonus to those who get honorable mentions etc.)
razflyer and tearex like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:25 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SecondCity
Here now - first full day and early impressions mirror this overall thought. We, too, preceeded our stay with 5 nights at the STR. Looking forward to 5 more nights here!
Did you need to get a PCR test to go between the StR and the PH?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by razflyer
Did you need to get a PCR test to go between the StR and the PH?
Yes.
razflyer likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:06 am

duplicate
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:07 am

Points upgrade?

Originally Posted by joecool1885
Yes.
Last minute decision to go to PH instead of cold London! Express PCR cost $200++ each! We paid $20 each in Dubai so I do think it's a little overpriced!

PH just told me points bookings can't be "suite upgraded" to OWV, but you can pay, at the rates listed above.

Last edited by razflyer; Jan 9, 2022 at 5:13 am
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:39 am

First impressions of PH:
  • The beach is all round the island and is truly amazing - the very best of the 5 properties I've been to in the Maldives.
  • Service is friendly and good although not as slick as StR, eg they don’t greet you by name or put their hands on hearts, and they’re not as attentive/proactive
  • Food is good but not of StR quality or variety.
  • Staff mostly from South India vs Maldivian/international in StR
  • Villas could do with a refurb / new tech (who has DVDs these days?)
  • Bed sheets have a soft/humid ferl vs clean/crisp
  • Pet hate - toilet with frosted glass door near bed
  • It feels hotter than StR because of the humidity and no AC in restaurant. There are many more lizards, bats and flies and I never noticed any in StR which was full of birds.

Last edited by razflyer; Jan 12, 2022 at 9:39 am
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by razflyer

PH just told me points bookings can't be "suite upgraded" to OWV, but you can pay, at the rates listed above.
Well known - PH Maldives is a "Suite Award Ineligible Property"
Old Jan 11, 2022, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
For those of you that have stayed at multiple room types, do you feel like the difference between a Park Villa and a Park Pool Villa is worth the $400 that they're asking for? Have an upcoming stay in May and would love to finalize these upgrade decisions early. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.