Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium

Deluxe Pool Villa Cabana

Deluxe Pool Villa Cabana

View of the Jetty from Villa 2 - Deluxe Pool Villa

Night shot of Deluxe Pool Villa 2 - The pool lights come on automatically at dusk, the cabana lights are controlled based on room light settings. A bit annoying if you wanted the cabana lights on, but not your room lights on.

Villa 2 from the beach

Sun loungers. The villa is perched a few feet off the ground, but guests walking by can clearly see into your villa.

Villa 17 - 2 bedroom Villa Pool

Villa 17 - 2nd BR attached to main villa
makavel likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:14 pm

Looks like they did a few changes to villa 2 when we stayed there. They added a mesh privacy layer between villas to help with privacy (could still see through, but definitely added more privacy), and sadly looks like they had to cut one of the palm trees for some reason. Maybe erosion?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
this can't be said enough:

make sure to bring plenty of sunscreens! Their shop charges $38 a bottle/ can.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Guys question -

do you get WoH points for transfer / upgrade that you pay in advance?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Any mosquitoes on the island?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Jay00848
Any mosquitoes on the island?
When we were there last month we experienced them during the first week of our stay but not the second week. I think that was dude to the rain. Past trips, we have seen them and been bitten. We are sensitive to the bites so we try to bring spray but were unable to find this time at the airport so we bought at the hotel. It was $8 which was very reasonable compared to other items for sale.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
Guys question -

+1 anyone know how this works?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ronbo83

When we were there last month we experienced them during the first week of our stay but not the second week. I think that was dude to the rain. Past trips, we have seen them and been bitten. We are sensitive to the bites so we try to bring spray but were unable to find this time at the airport so we bought at the hotel. It was $8 which was very reasonable compared to other items for sale.
They also spray the island daily if I'm not mistaken, but there are some. Nothing that would stop you from enjoying the outdoors though. Although I feel like I was bit more during dinner at the island grill, and more so because it was open sand below. Perhaps some sort of ant.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by makavel
After utilizing paid upgrades over multiple stays at this resort, it seems that there's a pretty simple method for you to calculate the upgrade price for your yourself without needing to contact the hotel to ask. For the date(s) that you wish to upgrade, look at the Standard Rate for the Park Villa and the villa category that you'd like to upgrade to (in this example, I'll use the Park Water Villa). Find the difference in price, then multiple by 1.1 (10% service charge) and then by 1.12 (12% GST). That'll give you the upgrade price.

Example: November 12, 2017
Park Villa: $700/night
Park Water Villa: $1,110/night
Difference: $410
Total Upgrade Cost/Night: $410 * 1.1 *1.12 = $505.12 (this amount exactly matches lagunas2k's quote)

For what it's worth, in my experience, the cost differential between villa categories seems to be quite stable over time, but the price of the base Park Villa goes up and down, which affects the price of the other villas.

I hope this helps!
Has anyone else seen the upgrade prices not be remotely close to this formula? I have an upcoming stay in January - the current difference (on a standard rate) between the Park Villa and the Park Water Villa is $233. Yet I'm being quoted an upgrade price of $689/night, when based on this formula I should be getting a rate of just under $300/night.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingAssociate
Has anyone else seen the upgrade prices not be remotely close to this formula? I have an upcoming stay in January - the current difference (on a standard rate) between the Park Villa and the Park Water Villa is $233. Yet I'm being quoted an upgrade price of $689/night, when based on this formula I should be getting a rate of just under $300/night.
You can enquier to see that what you are being offered is correct. But, I suspect the resort can set the upgrade charges however it wants to. Bear in mind that the hotel is almost certainly not compensated for the full base room rate by WoH, so while the above formula may often hold true, in other cases the resort may need to charge more in order to take an overwater out of inventory and allocate it to an award booking. Perhaps the upgrade fee you have been quoted reflects the actual difference between what they expect to receive as compensation from WoH and the overwater daily rate.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
You can enquier to see that what you are being offered is correct. But, I suspect the resort can set the upgrade charges however it wants to. Bear in mind that the hotel is almost certainly not compensated for the full base room rate by WoH, so while the above formula may often hold true, in other cases the resort may need to charge more in order to take an overwater out of inventory and allocate it to an award booking. Perhaps the upgrade fee you have been quoted reflects the actual difference between what they expect to receive as compensation from WoH and the overwater daily rate.
Agreed. This formula has worked for me each time that I've used it, but there's no guarantee that it is always correct.

Out of curiosity, which dates are you trying to upgrade?
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
Guys question -

I've had mixed results on this front.

On our first visit, we never received WoH points for these charges. I even tried to contact WoH support via Twitter afterward, but they didn't quite understand and told me that I didn't earn points because they weren't "eligible nights" (I used points).

On our second visit, the stay originally posted without earning points for the transfers/upgrades paid in advance, but a few days later (without any intervention on our part), a revised stay posted and we got credit for those items that we paid in advance.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:36 pm

Agreed. This formula has worked for me each time that I've used it, but there's no guarantee that it is always correct.

Out of curiosity, which dates are you trying to upgrade?
Upgrading a points stay from Jan 6 - 12th
Old Dec 25, 2017, 4:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Upgrading a points stay from Jan 6 - 12th
I see! Your stay unfortunately has some complications that makes it difficult to use that formula because there isn't a Park Villa available for the entire stay. Because of that, it's hard to get a baseline price for the villa. I went day-by-day to see that there's a few days with a Park Villa available. For your dates, the price differential between the Park Villa and the Park Water Villa (pre-service charge/pre-tax) varies from $410 (Jan 11) to $600 (Jan 6-8). That's $505.12 to $739.2 post-service charge/post-tax, so I'm not sure how exactly they came up with the $689, but perhaps it's the average price differential over your 6 nights? The other dates aren't available right now so I can't compare.

If you were looking over the entire Jan 6-12 timeframe, I think you may have been using the Park Pool Villa as the baseline, but that's unfortunately not the base Park Villa. They aren't showing the Park Villa for your entire trip because it must be completely booked on some nights. If you used the Park Pool Villa as the baseline, it would be $233 ($1804 for Park Pool Villa and $2037 for Park Water Villa), which is the number that you mentioned.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:53 pm

I've had mixed results on this front.

On our first visit, we never received WoH points for these charges. I even tried to contact WoH support via Twitter afterward, but they didn't quite understand and told me that I didn't earn points because they weren't "eligible nights" (I used points).

On our second visit, the stay originally posted without earning points for the transfers/upgrades paid in advance, but a few days later (without any intervention on our part), a revised stay posted and we got credit for those items that we paid in advance.
Mine just settled:

INCLUDED:
Room upgrade charges
Special dining

NOT INCLUDED:
Transfer
makavel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.