Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Here now. A few things:

2 hour and 45 minute wait for Q2 flight after arriving on EY278 from AUH. But our arrival into MLE was early so that added 20 minutes. Literally the first people through customs though.

Arrived around 9 pm to our villa. Was greeted by rooms manager and staff upon arrival. Personal host drove us to our room and gave a very detailed introduction.

Used one Chase suite and 5 nights from passport escape and was given pool villa, which I like. I'm sure the OWB would be nice but walking to the beach in the morning is nice. Our personal host is unfamiliar with the passport escape so I will need to track down a manager of some sort to make sure we get it.

Was told about 50% full when we checked in but seems to be busier today.

Just did house reef dive which was amazing. Snorkel gear is free but dive equipment is expensive and you are charged per dive not per day which adds up quickly.

Was just told about happy hour this morning. Slept through it yesterday during a down pour coupled with jet lag.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:44 am

I had heard that the transfer from the airport to this hotel is over $100. Can anyone confirm? I would like to travel here but I hear it's very expensive to get to and to eat here.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by bsaced
I had heard that the transfer from the airport to this hotel is over $100. Can anyone confirm? I would like to travel here but I hear it's very expensive to get to and to eat here.
You might want to check the website again. I believe the current price is $477 per person roundtrip.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by bsaced
Having just come back from the Maldives, if you are worried about "expensive", you likely should not go. The prices were complete insanity for mere mortals like myself, but I figure you should go insane at least once in your life.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:10 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skunker
You might want to check the website again. I believe the current price is $477 per person roundtrip.
And if you do not need the flight, it actually gets more expensive, as they sell it as a private transfer then...
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by whimike
Having just come back from the Maldives, if you are worried about "expensive", you likely should not go. The prices were complete insanity for mere mortals like myself, but I figure you should go insane at least once in your life.
Well, prices are insane, but for the Diamond "experienced at discount traveling" traveler, one can do it cheaply (I'm not suggesting it be done this way, I'm just offering the tips).

1. Combine Chase award and points to do a 2+5 or 2+7 night stay. Accommodation = free.

2. Breakfast is included. I don't like to eat much breakfast, a meal bar or fruit is what I like to eat anyway... so bring some bars from home, and save the free breakfast (breakfast menu includes lots of great "lunch food" items, like curry and fried noodles/rice) for lunch. Use extra HGP points to do an escape package and get all but two of your dinners included. Be really cheap and bring some healthy snacks (nuts, jerkey, dried fruit, etc.) to cover the two not-included dinners (or spend some money on food. Food = free or a couple of hundred for an entire week.

3. For transportation use miles, MH or SQ both fly to MLE and allow one to avoid an airport transfer in CMB or China. The one place the discount traveler has no option to save is the local Q2 air transfer MLE>Hyatt>MLE. Air cost = $477/person plus taxes on mileage award flights.

4. For entertainment, don't use the spa, don't do excursions... there's plenty of free paradise at this place. If one is an avid snorkeler, you'll likely bring you're own gear and one can spend hours each day on the house reef. An underwater camera adds even more hours of fun. Or, for the relaxing types, read your books/magazines or just love the beach and the pool or your villa pool. Or, work out each day, in the nice little gym, or do your own routine on the beach.

Personally, I couldn't go to Maldives and not dive anymore than I'd go to the Alps in winter and not ski, but of course bring your own gear (if you own none then rent or at least compare the prices of renting at home vs. onsite). I found diving pricing to be average, actually, not insanely priced like the meals (especially with discounts for advance booking), and one could do some unguided diving on the house reef instead of boat diving every day if you must save. I spent a little over $100/day for boat diving, that's comparable to so many other dive spots (Cozumel, Cayman, FL, Bahamas).

I actually changed my vacation plans from Sipadan to Maldives and I don't think I spent anymore than originally planned (although I used more miles and used hotel points I hadn't planned to use).

It's a great place to blow it out for a honeymoon, sure... but it can also be done economically if one desires.

Last edited by canyonleo; Feb 15, 2012 at 5:28 am Reason: fixed some spelling/grammar
Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:42 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
We wil be staying 5 nights with 2 nights prior in Singapre, 2 in Bangkok and 1 near MLE. Business class flights out and first class back, using BMI miles. Will be under Ł5000 total (allowed money for food, diving etc), which isn't bad for 12 nights away (especially taking into account almost Ł2000 on flight taxes+cash).
Old Feb 15, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by price123
We wil be staying 5 nights with 2 nights prior in Singapre, 2 in Bangkok and 1 near MLE. Business class flights out and first class back, using BMI miles. Will be under Ł5000 total (allowed money for food, diving etc), which isn't bad for 12 nights away (especially taking into account almost Ł2000 on flight taxes+cash).
Here's a data point:
Other than diving and spa, the latter of which can rack up $200-300/day by the wife, we did 9 nights for way under US$ 2,000, and remember half of that is local Q2 air transfer.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I wouldn't pay in advance. As a Diamond you very well may receive an OW villa. I did a nine night stay using the two Chase nights (suite reward though) followed by a 7 night Escape, and I was given an OW (#51 no less). I think it was due to the Chase suite nights being the first nights, my communication in email and phone of my preferences, based on availability understandably, and the hotels occupancy. If you are Diamond, and they know you want OW, and they're not so full, I think they will accommodate you.

And, as pointed out by others, the beach villas are not bad... maybe even a preference if one is not a "spend every hour in the water" type. I am a non-stop free diver, so for me an OW would be a near must.

And, you can always do your upgrade upon arrival, if you aren't given an OW villa, if you really want to try to save the $300-500/night extra expense (at the risk of high occupancy cause OW to be sold out, of course).
I actually confirmed with the GM that the Hyatt Suite Nights are not autoupgraded to OWB because "all room are suites at the Hyatt Maldives."

Other than that, I appreciate the advice!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG, UN MileagePlus, TrueBlue Newbie, NYCDOE, Adobe Youth Voices
Question for ya

Here now. A few things:

2 hour and 45 minute wait for Q2 flight after arriving on EY278 from AUH. But our arrival into MLE was early so that added 20 minutes. Literally the first people through customs though.

Arrived around 9 pm to our villa. Was greeted by rooms manager and staff upon arrival. Personal host drove us to our room and gave a very detailed introduction.

Used one Chase suite and 5 nights from passport escape and was given pool villa, which I like. I'm sure the OWB would be nice but walking to the beach in the morning is nice. Our personal host is unfamiliar with the passport escape so I will need to track down a manager of some sort to make sure we get it.

Was told about 50% full when we checked in but seems to be busier today.

Just did house reef dive which was amazing. Snorkel gear is free but dive equipment is expensive and you are charged per dive not per day which adds up quickly.

Was just told about happy hour this morning. Slept through it yesterday during a down pour coupled with jet lag.
Skunker-

Glad to hear you are at the island safely. We are currently en route from NYC and have finished flight 2 of 5 this morning and are now waiting for the next one from Bangkok to SIN.

Wondered if you could speak to the laundry facilities on the island? Any easy way to wash clothes if need be? Tried to find info regarding this but couldn't see any. Thanks! Hope to see you there in a few days!

Cherbes
Old Feb 16, 2012, 6:28 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by cherbes
Skunker-

Wondered if you could speak to the laundry facilities on the island? Any easy way to wash clothes if need be? Tried to find info regarding this but couldn't see any. Thanks! Hope to see you there in a few days!

Cherbes
hotel has laundry like every other hotel, If this is what you are asking. and prices I found relatively reasonable. for example a t-shirt 3$. comparing to PH melbourne that charges for t-shirts 8 dollars.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by wpj
hotel has laundry like every other hotel, If this is what you are asking. and prices I found relatively reasonable. for example a t-shirt 3$. comparing to PH melbourne that charges for t-shirts 8 dollars.
Yes, prices range from $2 to $7 per article with most things in the $3 to $5 range.

Sorry but no coin-op laundry around here.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

Sorry but no coin-op laundry around here.
What?? So no soda machines outside the rooms?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:57 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
villa 49 from 48, panorama

Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: Krisflyer (SQ) Gold Membership, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Accor Platinum and Hilton HHonors Gold
Nice picture ^ Park Hyatt Maldives is in my "Wish List" in 2012 or 2013

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.