Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:22 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
Not really... It rather depended how a property coded the additional charges. Of the awards I had more didn't count than the few who did.
As long as the incidentials were point eligiable alll of our award stays counted, untilk they changed the rules.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:35 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by suite2suite
"... Water is no longer fixed free pour, but 8 dollars per liter."
"Happy Hour is over." "Canapés from 3 tiered tower. It's now 3 small bites."
And breakfast is not what it used to be.
Where are you seeing this?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
It's all in the posts.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:33 am

I just received an email from the concierge confirming my in room service requests.
On the confirmation it lists the "park villa" as the room, which is what I booked with points. Should I try to ask what is their occupancy next week or just wait and see if we are able to get an upgrade when we arrive?
Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
... Water is no longer fixed free pour, but 8 dollars per liter."
"Happy Hour is over." "Canapés from 3 tiered tower. It's now 3 small bites."
And breakfast is not what it used to be.
water is chargeable in the restaurants, but they'll give you as much as you want in your room, laying by the pool, etc.

for sundowners, i'm not sure what it was before, but i doubt it was a mountain of food. we thought they were great, and they let me get macallan every night.

we did get the 20% off at the bar after 7pm.

for breakfast i just got whatever i wanted each day. it was rad.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:24 am

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Originally Posted by ahcjar103
water is chargeable in the restaurants, but they'll give you as much as you want in your room, laying by the pool, etc.

for sundowners, i'm not sure what it was before, but i doubt it was a mountain of food. we thought they were great, and they let me get macallan every night.

we did get the 20% off at the bar after 7pm.

for breakfast i just got whatever i wanted each day. it was rad.
Makes more sense, I thought they were charging for bottled water in the room as well, If they charge for water at the restaurants that's fine, I'll order wine/cocktails or something else
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I have just returned from an award stay (I used 100k of my GP points). The property itself is beautiful, the villas are very nice, the house reef is beautiful, it feels isolated and remote. You truly feel disconnected from the rest of the world and I was able to really unwind. However, I had a lot of issues with the soft product (consistent with a recently posted 3 star/circle review on TripAdvisor), which ultimately left me feeling unimpressed to the point of having no desire to return to this property.

I will eventually get around to posting a full review, but in the meantime for the benefit of those who are visiting soon I can confirm that the happy hour is gone, goodbye. From 7pm to Midnight, Platinums get a 15% discount on wine and cocktails only. Diamonds get a 20% discount on wine and cocktails only. I didn't even bother.

From reviewing some of the older posts, a less expensive beer has been added to the menus. San Miguel (a Philippine beer) is now on the menus at $8 per 330ml bottle. The Hadahaa (house water) that is free in rooms is $8 per liter in the restaurants. It is still free if you are lounging by the pool or beach (if someone brings it to you at all). At meals I would just drink a San Miguel. Why pay $8 for water when it is free in your room? I'd rather just pay $8 for a beer and go back to my room to hydrate. I also noticed other guests bringing their own Diet Coke that had been taken from the Maldivian Lounge (300ml plastic bottles) at MLE to meals and asking for ice in order to avoid the $7 charge for the resort Diet Coke.

For Gold and Platinum GP guests using points or credit card certificates for their stays breakfast is still $30 per person plus 10% service charge and 13.2% tax. Regardless of whether you order a set breakfast (American, Asian, Continental or Healthy) or a la carte, you receive the tower of fruit, tuna mafushi and some sweets. Despite asking two people how many a la carte items I could order no one gave me a straight answer. One person said order as much as you like. So, I ordered three dishes. When I asked our useless personal concierge how it worked she seemed surprised that I ordered three but said "it should be no problem, it should be like a $30 charge" When pressed for a more definite answer no clarification was provided. This lack of information I found very frustrating. I personally found the $30 charge to be reasonable as breakfast was quite filling.

As a Platinum, I can't speak as to the sundowners that Diamonds get. From what I could see, there were not many people in the bar area from 5 to 8 in the evening so I'm not sure there were many Diamonds at the resort while I was there.

As I said above, I will eventually post a full review, but in my view, I would not return here as long as it is managed by/affiliated with Hyatt.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat 100, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by MCMAHONSMR
I have just returned from an award stay (I used 100k of my GP points). The property itself is beautiful, the villas are very nice, the house reef is beautiful, it feels isolated and remote. You truly feel disconnected from the rest of the world and I was able to really unwind. However, I had a lot of issues with the soft product (consistent with a recently posted 3 star/circle review on TripAdvisor), which ultimately left me feeling unimpressed to the point of having no desire to return to this property.

I will eventually get around to posting a full review, but in the meantime for the benefit of those who are visiting soon I can confirm that the happy hour is gone, goodbye. From 7pm to Midnight, Platinums get a 15% discount on wine and cocktails only. Diamonds get a 20% discount on wine and cocktails only. I didn't even bother.

From reviewing some of the older posts, a less expensive beer has been added to the menus. San Miguel (a Philippine beer) is now on the menus at $8 per 330ml bottle. The Hadahaa (house water) that is free in rooms is $8 per liter in the restaurants. It is still free if you are lounging by the pool or beach (if someone brings it to you at all). At meals I would just drink a San Miguel. Why pay $8 for water when it is free in your room? I'd rather just pay $8 for a beer and go back to my room to hydrate. I also noticed other guests bringing their own Diet Coke that had been taken from the Maldivian Lounge (300ml plastic bottles) at MLE to meals and asking for ice in order to avoid the $7 charge for the resort Diet Coke.

For Gold and Platinum GP guests using points or credit card certificates for their stays breakfast is still $30 per person plus 10% service charge and 13.2% tax. Regardless of whether you order a set breakfast (American, Asian, Continental or Healthy) or a la carte, you receive the tower of fruit, tuna mafushi and some sweets. Despite asking two people how many a la carte items I could order no one gave me a straight answer. One person said order as much as you like. So, I ordered three dishes. When I asked our useless personal concierge how it worked she seemed surprised that I ordered three but said "it should be no problem, it should be like a $30 charge" When pressed for a more definite answer no clarification was provided. This lack of information I found very frustrating. I personally found the $30 charge to be reasonable as breakfast was quite filling.

As a Platinum, I can't speak as to the sundowners that Diamonds get. From what I could see, there were not many people in the bar area from 5 to 8 in the evening so I'm not sure there were many Diamonds at the resort while I was there.

As I said above, I will eventually post a full review, but in my view, I would not return here as long as it is managed by/affiliated with Hyatt.
I don't really understand the complaints about paying for water and no more happy hour. Given the remoteness of this place, I would think the prices are in line with similar resorts in the area. I'm planning a stay here in Sept. and everything seems reasonable given the circumstances.

I do agree that the management should be more consistent in delivering information. However, staying on points / awards I tend to be a little more forgiving since I'm not really paying full price for the stay.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by tsolin01
I don't really understand the complaints about paying for water and no more happy hour. Given the remoteness of this place, I would think the prices are in line with similar resorts in the area. I'm planning a stay here in Sept. and everything seems reasonable given the circumstances.

I do agree that the management should be more consistent in delivering information. However, staying on points / awards I tend to be a little more forgiving since I'm not really paying full price for the stay.
I think the complaints about the price of water are for the house water, the stuff purified on the island.
$10 for a bottle of Evian is cheap in the Maldives and everyone accepts that charge but as I read it, $8 for house water is the problem. I think it used to be $4 and free pour in the restaurants?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Correct, the discussion is about house water, provided in large (and small) unbranded and clear glass refillable bottles. It's free in the room, but they're charging for it in the restaurants (and always have I'm pretty sure - I stayed there within six months of the opening and it was that way).

I'm always drinking water (always, not talking just about during travel), so I carry a bottle with me nearly 24/7. I just took my room bottle with me to the restaurant (and if I arrived straight from the dive boat or the beach then I had it with me anyway) and no one cared that I was at the same time avoiding the water charge as part of my restaurant meal.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:36 am

Honestly it seems to me the only reason to go there is to use the Hyatt card
free nights. For a couple, 4 free nights is still a $6000 saving.
My strategy would be to attach those 4 nights to a stay somewhere else.
Still the domestic transfer between 2 hotels can be a big PITA.
But there is so many better hotels around it would be ridiculous
to have a paid stay here.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
Originally Posted by tsolin01
I'm not saying I am complaining about the charge for water or disappearing happy hour. The purpose of my post was to convey information to readers who are going soon, so they know what to expect, especially since some of the information in the wiki is outdated now.

The wiki for this property suggests using the happy hour as a means to save on some costs. It's gone, so if you are on a budget and were planning on drinking from 3 to 5 to save on some costs, adjust your plan.

As for the house filtered "Hadahaa" water, it's free in the rooms and $8 per liter at the restaurants. If I'm going to pay $8 for house filtered water (which in my opinion did not taste very good) I would prefer to spend my $8 on something else, beer, Evian, etc. That's a personal preference. Again, the purpose of my post was to convey information about my recent experience for the benefit of future visitors. There are reports out there that the $4 per person charge was for unlimited house "Hadahaa" water served in the restaurants. That is no longer accurate information.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Honestly it seems to me the only reason to go there is to use the Hyatt card
free nights. For a couple, 4 free nights is still a $6000 saving.
My strategy would be to attach those 4 nights to a stay somewhere else.
Still the domestic transfer between 2 hotels can be a big PITA.
But there is so many better hotels around it would be ridiculous
to have a paid stay here.
Interesting discussion point, as in whole I agree with you that I would not return just given the cost/changes over the years (not recent ones specifically). But, it remains the highest value for 2 free CC nights.

But, I disagree as a generalization when you say "But there is so many better hotels around it would be ridiculous to have a paid stay here" (assuming you mean in Maldives). While true there are other great hotels, avoiding a generalization and focusing on a few specifics (and everyone has different preferences) this property is in a select/top list of resorts for great house reef, great local reefs for boat dives, remoteness (for some this sucks, for others it's a feature) and small resort (only 51 rooms).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:23 am

My wife and I do not drink alcohol, and will probably drink a ton of water... Do you know if they provide water in the gym (like most hotels) that we can grab if we already used the ones provided in the gym? Thanks for all of the info, we are going there next month and can't wait!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:25 am

Remoteness is good, it's just no sea-plane option which sucks.
Transfer becomes the biggest issue.
Also the water villas have no pool - sucks comparing to most other "great" hotels.
Service going downhill - as this thread explains. IMO, this is not a great hotel.
Also there is quite many NEW places around which have better design,
even more remoteness as they tend to spread out over new atolls
and much better value. We are talking ~$1800-2000 range for a water villa,
that puts you in the Cheval Blanc/new COMO etc territory. No contest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.