Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Capital One $900 Hyatt Check Certificates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One $900 Hyatt Check Certificates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 8:31 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Thanks! I note that contrary to what Bliss World has written above (re the Discover rewards), these Check Certificates appear to be usable in virtually every Park Hyatt hotel (including my favorites in Buenos Aires and Sydney).
What BlissWorld refers to is the $100 off a 2-night stay cert (I think) that comes from a variety of sources including UA. They are only worth about $40 or so due to the restrictions in rate. I'm still really wondering about these from Capital One.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, CO, JB
Am I confused? A biz class ticket is worth much more than $1800 (52k x 2 certs). For 120k miles on some airlines I can get to Asia! Why would anyone want to use if for anything else?
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: United 1MM, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by krazedtrader
Am I confused? A biz class ticket is worth much more than $1800 (52k x 2 certs). For 120k miles on some airlines I can get to Asia! Why would anyone want to use if for anything else?
Because cap one "miles" are not real airline miles. 1 mile typically worths 1c on travel.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Assuming that you have the Cap1 Venture card, I think that your math may be a little off. $900 of Hyatt certs is obtained by redeeming 52k Cap1 miles, which are earned by charging $25.6k on the Venture card. Therefore, two certs are obtained by charging $51.2k on the Venture card. If one charges $128k to the Venture card, one can redeem miles for 5 Hyatt certs, worth $4,500. Depending on where you're travelling to in Asia, and depending on which airline you redeem miles on, $4,500 of redeemable value might appear to be a very competitive offer to airline miles.^
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, CO, JB
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Assuming that you have the Cap1 Venture card, I think that your math may be a little off. $900 of Hyatt certs is obtained by redeeming 52k Cap1 miles, which are earned by charging $25.6k on the Venture card. Therefore, two certs are obtained by charging $51.2k on the Venture card. If one charges $128k to the Venture card, one can redeem miles for 5 Hyatt certs, worth $4,500. Depending on where you're travelling to in Asia, and depending on which airline you redeem miles on, $4,500 of redeemable value might appear to be a very competitive offer to airline miles.^
Ah I was confused. I thought the Q was about the 100k Venture Card offer which is a 100k match of miles in the account. Am I still confused??
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by DealDetective
I just got my Capital One Venture card thanks to the Match My Miles promo. In looking at the various rewards options, I discovered an interesting one. It's good for a "Multi-Night Stay at Hyatt Hotels and Resorts" valued at $900. It appears to be a Hyatt Check Certificate, but is only available in a $900 denomination. The certificate costs 51,250 Capital One "miles" which equates to $25,625 in purchases on a Venture card. The way I figure it, for the $256.25 I would get in cash from most rewards cards (at 1% cashback), I get a $900 Hyatt Check Certificate. That's even better than the Costco deal for stays costing $900+!

Has anyone used these particular certificates? Am I missing something, or is this a good deal?
The cert has to be used for one stay -- no credit or cash back for any remainder -- so it's best used for a multi-nt stay!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah I was confused. I thought the Q was about the 100k Venture Card offer which is a 100k match of miles in the account. Am I still confused??
Yes, the 'match' consists of Venture 'miles' which are redeemed through Cap1 -- they are not deposited in any FF a/c.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:26 am

Great deal, too bad it has to be used in one stay.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:31 pm

Thanks OP. If this works as it seems, I'll grab a few for use on a 3 room, 3 night stay at the PH MEL in June and switch my stay from points to cash and also use a suite upgrade. This will effectively reduce the rate from $300/night to ~$175/night. Not too shabby.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:27 pm

So it looks like there is also the same $900 "certificate" available for Fairmont and Ritz-Carlton.

There is also a 2 night stay for a standard suite in Collection C for Raffles available as well.

All for the same 51,250 "miles".

51,250 "miles" covers $512.50 in travel spend, so if you can use the $900 all in one shot, this is a really good redemption.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:37 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mnmag
The cert has to be used for one stay -- no credit or cash back for any remainder -- so it's best used for a multi-nt stay!
Hmm, requiring use all in one stay is much more limiting. I don't really expect to have any single $900+ stays in the next year; if I did I would probably want to use points anyway.

Wonder if there might be a market to trade the $900 single cert for ~$800 in Costco certs.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:16 am
Moy

A bit of searching shows that these are "Hyatt Incentive and Promotion Certificates". The T&Cs are the same including the 15 month expiry, etc:
https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/OrgFaq.aspx

I was gonna say that I'm fairly confident this would be 9 x $100 certs rather than a single $900 cert due to the fact that these certs are only offered in $10/15/25/50/75/100/200/250/350/500 demoninations. However if you read the FAQs closely, the #1 FAQ says:
Can Hyatt Reward Certificates be customized?
Yes. Hyatt certificates can be customized. (There is a minimum volume order for customization.)
Which would certainly be the case here. So I'm not sure afterall how the certs will come. You could call CapOne and ask them, but frankly I wouldn't trust some CSR who isn't familiar with it. I'd only trust them if I were talking directly to the person who stuffs the envelopes with these certs. So probably somebody here will have to test it out by redeeming for it and report back here. Certainly somebody has a $1500 stay coming in the next 15 months to use this at. This would basically turn our 110k CapOne miles from $1100 instead into ~$1860. Not a bad return for a CC signup offer!!!!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:47 am

There are going to be a LOT of disappointed new Venture card customers
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: SPG, UAL, ThankYou
Originally Posted by Moy
A bit of searching shows that these are "Hyatt Incentive and Promotion Certificates". The T&Cs are the same including the 15 month expiry, etc:
https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/OrgFaq.aspx

I was gonna say that I'm fairly confident this would be 9 x $100 certs rather than a single $900 cert due to the fact that these certs are only offered in $10/15/25/50/75/100/200/250/350/500 demoninations. However if you read the FAQs closely, the #1 FAQ says:

Which would certainly be the case here. So I'm not sure afterall how the certs will come. You could call CapOne and ask them, but frankly I wouldn't trust some CSR who isn't familiar with it. I'd only trust them if I were talking directly to the person who stuffs the envelopes with these certs. So probably somebody here will have to test it out by redeeming for it and report back here. Certainly somebody has a $1500 stay coming in the next 15 months to use this at. This would basically turn our 110k CapOne miles from $1100 instead into ~$1860. Not a bad return for a CC signup offer!!!!
Are these good on the public rates on Hyatt.com? We're looking at staying in Hawaii for a few days it and would be great to use these on an Ocean Front room. Do the certs also cover taxes?
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snyder81
Are these good on the public rates on Hyatt.com? We're looking at staying in Hawaii for a few days it and would be great to use these on an Ocean Front room. Do the certs also cover taxes?
Not sure what you mean by 'public' rates, but any non-prepaid rate on Hyatt.com should be eligible, & whatever taxes or other services that are charged to your room (meals, etc.) should be covered by the certs, AFAIK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.