Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best So Cal property to 'Suite' upgrade at?

Old Jan 17, 11, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Quick question...

We are heading to So Cal(& Nr Cal briefly) in the summer and would like to use one of our Diamond suite upgrades, i was wondering if any locals familar with the properties there could recommend one of the better value options in terms of paid room night vs paid suite night.

I have my eye on the LA or SD Andaz however if there is a property that have impressive suites, yet offer great priced standard room rates then we would be perhaps tempted by them.

Many thanks
Old Jan 17, 11, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL MM, AS, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've had a suite at the WeHo Andaz--it was basically the size of two rooms, on the end of the hall, spanning from the front of the building to the back.

If you consider Andaz prices acceptable, you might want to check out the Century Plaza. I've had a stunning, huge suite there that was far nicer than the Andaz's.

If northern California is an option, I've had similarly stunning suites at the GHSF. On the other hand, I've also gotten two connecting smallish rooms that they called a suite, with living-room furniture in one of them.
Old Jan 17, 11, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Suite upgrade in CA

I have been upgraded to to a really nice suite at Huntington Beach several times without using a suite upgrade cert . Once was even on New Years Eve.
Old Jan 18, 11, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight guys. I am surprised about the WeHo suite, it states that it is 800 sq ft which surely must be pretty big, i note that the century plaza is smaller at 700 sq ft, it does look nice though and if the room rates are considerably lesser than the Andaz WeHo then it is an option.

I have had a look at the GHSF, it does look a little dated although i appreciate pictures are not everything. I do like the fact that it included a sofa bed should we have guests.

Any other recommendations would be much appreciated, we are travelling around the best part of the state.

Many thanks
Old Jan 18, 11, 10:43 am

Just a quick note, the GHSF is currently being renovated floor by floor.
No idea when it will be completed. A quick call to Hyatt will get you this info.
Suite properties, not in Ca. but very close, Hyatt Incline Village at Lake Tahoe.
Nothing like Lake Tahoe in the summer or for that matter in the winter.
Enjoy,
Bob
Old Jan 18, 11, 10:53 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by bob95409 View Post
Just a quick note, the GHSF is currently being renovated floor by floor.
No idea when it will be completed. A quick call to Hyatt will get you this info.
Suite properties, not in Ca. but very close, Hyatt Incline Village at Lake Tahoe.
Nothing like Lake Tahoe in the summer or for that matter in the winter.
Enjoy,
Bob

Renovation work is scheduled to be completed at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco on 8/31/2011. This is subject to change but is the current date it is expected to be completed. It is a multi-million dollar renovation including all guest rooms, suites, guest corridors, and meeting space. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Old Jan 18, 11, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, Choice, WN, AA, BA, UA, HA, Avis
Cant believe no one is saying Grand Champions in Indian Wells.... I've been upgraded to their private villa's before, good stuff.

Huntington Beach is also a great one.
Old Jan 18, 11, 12:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge View Post
Renovation work is scheduled to be completed at the Grand Hyatt San Francisco on 8/31/2011. This is subject to change but is the current date it is expected to be completed. It is a multi-million dollar renovation including all guest rooms, suites, guest corridors, and meeting space. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Nick B.
Thanks Nick. This is fantastic news. With the concurrent renovations at the GH NY it would be great to see a revitalization of the GH brand in the US and bring it up to the standards of GH overseas properties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/bu...q=hyatt&st=cse
Old Jan 18, 11, 12:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
Cant believe no one is saying Grand Champions in Indian Wells.... I've been upgraded to their private villa's before, good stuff.

Huntington Beach is also a great one.
Agree that Huntington Beach is a great one (although the OP's request for a reasonable regular room rate could be an issue, the rooms are usually $300+ in the summer ).

Indian Wells is good as well, however a diamond suite upgrade is not valid for the villas (they might do it when you arrive, but will not guarantee it). That said, the penthouse suites have just been remodeled, and the pictures do look nice online. In addition, the standard room rates in the summer are inexpensive (but come with very hot weather ).

Either property would be a great choice in So-Cal (I've done suites in both hotels, as well as the villas in Inidan Wells).^
Old Jan 19, 11, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the recommendations. Lake Tahoe seems a little bit for out for our propesed itiniery however a night or 2 at Indian Wells on route between LA & LV is an option, especially if we can get a good rate(due to the heat) and potentially end up with one of those impressive villas. Hunington looks nice however with the high rates, i think we might avoid that.

Still looking for some opinions on the Andaz in LA or SD, or the Century Plaza. I would imagine that these would also have high rates, that would be fine if we get an impressive suite but not otherwise.

Thanks again
Old Jan 19, 11, 3:33 pm

For the Hyatt in Indian Wells, its true that using a suite upgrade wont give you a villa guaranteed. You'll get one of their suites for sure (which are still VERY nice), but often for Diamond members, they do upgrade to Villas (even without use of a suite upgrade at times).

At the Century Plaza, I used a suite upgrade, was given a "Century Suite" and its a very nice room with a great bathroom as well (its 1.5 baths).

Be warned about both the Andaz in WeHo and SD... they are party hotels. Going to be lots of young, drunk, early 20's there, especially on weekends. If thats your thing, great, otherwise, I dont really recommend.
Old Jan 19, 11, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
.. a night or 2 at Indian Wells on route between LA & LV is an option, especially if we can get a good rate(due to the heat) and potentially end up with one of those impressive villas. ..
1) Indian Wells is not on the way from LA to LV (but it is a curious desert detour worth doing at least once, time permitting)
2) I would not count on the villa - getting one should be treated as a very lucky turn of events
Old Jan 20, 11, 5:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Indian wells upgrade

Was told recently when I tried to upgrade that Diamond upgrade at Indian Wells no longer valid for Penthouse suites , only for executive suites or conference suites
Was diappointed as we had used last year for PH suites
Old Jan 21, 11, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rntraveller View Post
Was told recently when I tried to upgrade that Diamond upgrade at Indian Wells no longer valid for Penthouse suites , only for executive suites or conference suites
Was diappointed as we had used last year for PH suites
Sorry to hear that about Indian Wells, looking into it further i am not sure it is the right place for us. The Andaz properties(LA or SD) do look nice, and we are fine with them being party places; we are faily young & on vacation

As we are visiting both cities, is there one you would recommend over the other?

What rates would i be looking at, when using the diamond suite upgrade cert?

Many thanks
Old Jan 21, 11, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000 View Post
Sorry to hear that about Indian Wells, looking into it further i am not sure it is the right place for us. The Andaz properties(LA or SD) do look nice, and we are fine with them being party places; we are faily young & on vacation

As we are visiting both cities, is there one you would recommend over the other?

What rates would i be looking at, when using the diamond suite upgrade cert?

Many thanks
I like the SD Andaz more; never stayed at the WeHo, but the location of the SD Andaz in the middle of GasLamp District is pretty great.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: