Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points expiration

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Points expiration

When do points expire if there is no activity?

What are some ways to get points other than hotel stays?

Note I live in Canada

Thank you

Larry
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
From the GP website (link):

4. Do my points expire?
No, however, if an account is left inactive for more than 12 calendar months, the account may be deleted and all points in the account forfeited.
That said, I haven't heard of anyone loosing points or having their account deleted due to inactivity.

Regarding earning points you can earn them through car rentals (Avis and Sixt) and by organizing meetings. You can also purchase points.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:23 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by todorovic
From the GP website (link):

That said, I haven't heard of anyone loosing points or having their account deleted due to inactivity.

Regarding earning points you can earn them through car rentals (Avis and Sixt) and by organizing meetings. You can also purchase points.
10+ years ago - they did close my account due to inactivity but restored it along with the points upon request.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
10+ years ago - they did close my account due to inactivity but restored it along with the points upon request.
About that time I lost all my points at Hilton for inactivity. They would not restore them, however. They did leave my account open, but I have never returned to a Hilton property. With everything electronic, there is little excuse for having points expire.

Hyatt 1
Hilton 0
Old Jan 7, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Hyatt's policy kind of got me into this hobby. About 6 years ago, I had a trip to NYC with my then-GF-now-Mrs-jdj. Looking thru all my old hotel points, I had enough points for 2 nights @ Grand Central Hyatt from stays in the late 1980's - the cheap rooms were running near 300 bucks. Cha-Ching!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by agrater
About that time I lost all my points at Hilton for inactivity. They would not restore them, however. They did leave my account open, but I have never returned to a Hilton property. With everything electronic, there is little excuse for having points expire.

Hyatt 1
Hilton 0
Agreed. Hilton did the same to me and it was not a ton of points but the effect was that I never returned to a Hilton property. Hyatt left my account active for well over several years of inactivity and this is well appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.