Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric (Escala Lodge) Park City UT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Centric (Escala Lodge) Park City UT REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Duke787
Trying to decide between staying here and staying at the Park City Marriott for a ski trip sometime over Christmas/New Year's.

Anyone have any insight between those two? I've only skied PC (back before they bought Canyons) we I think we'd like to spend some time at the Canyons but otherwise I don't think we have any specific requirements.

Undecided still between renting a car and taking a shuttle but it seems like both have free parking so a wash there (along with status, Diamond at Hyatt / Plat at Marriott so no difference there)
I can not speak to comparing the actual properties (rooms, F&B, etc.), but you'll get a very very different Park City experience between those two, and too many variables to just give a simple answer.

Are you with kids, and what ages? Putting them in ski school?
Do you like going to dinners or eating in and cooking?
Will you have a car?
Are you expert skiers, groomed and blue run skiers, or beginners?
Do you view shopping as an experience, something to do for scheduled fun?

Last, to help me give you info, is the Marriott you're considering the one that is at the hill or the one in Park Meadows?
Old May 7, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I can not speak to comparing the actual properties (rooms, F&B, etc.), but you'll get a very very different Park City experience between those two, and too many variables to just give a simple answer.

Are you with kids, and what ages? Putting them in ski school?
No kids just the two of us
Do you like going to dinners or eating in and cooking?
Going to dinner - we'll just be there for 3 days so after a day of skiing not going to want to cook
Will you have a car?
Undecided - seems like HC a car is likely unnecessary but for Marriott PC might want one
Are you expert skiers, groomed and blue run skiers, or beginners?
Groomed and blue run
Do you view shopping as an experience, something to do for scheduled fun?
My girlfriend probably does , I'm more concerned with the skiing

Last, to help me give you info, is the Marriott you're considering the one that is at the hill or the one in Park Meadows?
Looking at the one in downtown Park City itself (using a combination of points and cash for this booking at either place (likely 1-2 nights of points and 1 night on a cash rate) and that Marriott is the only one that accepts points
Tried to answer as best I could! Thanks for the help!
Old May 7, 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Looking at the one in downtown Park City itself
OK, I can answer, but need this one answered first... I don't think there's a Marriott in town - there's one at the bottom of PC slopes and one in Park Meadows neighborhood... but not one "downtown".
Old May 7, 2016, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I can answer, but need this one answered first... I don't think there's a Marriott in town - there's one at the bottom of PC slopes and one in Park Meadows neighborhood... but not one "downtown".
Ah okay you are right it isn't downtown. I believe it's the Park Meadows one. Here's the link http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...city-marriott/
Old May 7, 2016, 8:45 pm

Yes, that is the Park Meadows one. OK, here's how I'd present the differences and considerations (M = Marriott and H = Hyatt):

For skiing, given you're a blue/groomed type, I'd say the places can be considered equal (a wash). If you're skiing a busy Saturday (say late Dec thru mid-Mar), then PC will have much longer lift lines than Canyons. There isn't great bus service from H to PC nor from M to Canyons, so you'll probably ski mainly at the one mountain associated with the hotel/area.

M is not near the mountain (PC), so requires a bus to ski and return. Now, it's a short bus ride, under 10-15 minutes, and it's a pleasant and clean free public bus system, but it's not ski in/out (and the bus frequency is every 15 minutes, so one might consider it a 30 minute wait at worse to get to/from). H is considered ski in/out, although it is actually served by a baby lift type lift as it's a few hundred meters from the real lifts/village... but no vehicles requires.

Neither of the two is in town. But, the same bus that serves M to the slopes serves town, so an evening town experience is certainly easy enough with M. H is 3 miles from town, and not on any single ride bus route to town. And, for a tourist that doesn't know all the best ways to drive/park in town, even with a car H makes a night to town somewhat "not easy" (uber is cheap, likely $10 or under, so I guess with that it makes town "easy", ok).

M has no real commercial ("stores/places") next to or walking distance, other than an OK pizza place (pizza, but no Italian) and an average at best Indian place, an over-priced steak place (with a limited menu, but sushi might be good) - look for a two-for-one coupon in the newspaper, and with a longer walk (1/3 mile maybe) some OK places in some strip malls (Chubasco not very good but great salsa bar, Sammy's is ok, Albertos can be very good depending on what's ordered...). H is walking distance to the Canyons village, which while limited (Red Tail Grill is not good, Farm is great but expensive, the Jewish deli good if still open, Drafts is ok at best) is a village experience at least.

Kind of a wash, but not equal depending on the priority of the variable. Feel free to follow up with specific questions.
Old May 20, 2016, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that is the Park Meadows one. OK, here's how I'd present the differences and considerations (M = Marriott and H = Hyatt):

For skiing, given you're a blue/groomed type, I'd say the places can be considered equal (a wash). If you're skiing a busy Saturday (say late Dec thru mid-Mar), then PC will have much longer lift lines than Canyons. There isn't great bus service from H to PC nor from M to Canyons, so you'll probably ski mainly at the one mountain associated with the hotel/area.

M is not near the mountain (PC), so requires a bus to ski and return. Now, it's a short bus ride, under 10-15 minutes, and it's a pleasant and clean free public bus system, but it's not ski in/out (and the bus frequency is every 15 minutes, so one might consider it a 30 minute wait at worse to get to/from). H is considered ski in/out, although it is actually served by a baby lift type lift as it's a few hundred meters from the real lifts/village... but no vehicles requires.

Neither of the two is in town. But, the same bus that serves M to the slopes serves town, so an evening town experience is certainly easy enough with M. H is 3 miles from town, and not on any single ride bus route to town. And, for a tourist that doesn't know all the best ways to drive/park in town, even with a car H makes a night to town somewhat "not easy" (uber is cheap, likely $10 or under, so I guess with that it makes town "easy", ok).

M has no real commercial ("stores/places") next to or walking distance, other than an OK pizza place (pizza, but no Italian) and an average at best Indian place, an over-priced steak place (with a limited menu, but sushi might be good) - look for a two-for-one coupon in the newspaper, and with a longer walk (1/3 mile maybe) some OK places in some strip malls (Chubasco not very good but great salsa bar, Sammy's is ok, Albertos can be very good depending on what's ordered...). H is walking distance to the Canyons village, which while limited (Red Tail Grill is not good, Farm is great but expensive, the Jewish deli good if still open, Drafts is ok at best) is a village experience at least.

Kind of a wash, but not equal depending on the priority of the variable. Feel free to follow up with specific questions.
Thank you! This is enormously helpful. I have not skied the Canyons side before and I know my gf likes it so that alone my sway us in that direction - especially if I can use my Cat 1-4 annual hotel night cert at the HC.

Thanks again!
Old May 28, 2016, 7:05 am

East facing Valley View King. No curtains or blackout blinds, only large wood slat venetian blinds. Woke up at 0630 Am to blinding sunlight in my eyes.

This is something that just drives me crazy. Is it too hard to include curtains?

Last edited by returnoftheyeti; May 28, 2016 at 8:06 am
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:28 am

I recieved and filled out one of the common "how did you like your stay" surveys. I mentioned two things that I felt could use improvement.

I expected these survey responses to just go nowhere, but to my suprise the "Assistant Front Office Manager" emailed me directly asking me to elaborate on my issues.

The fact that they are listening and want to understand/ improve goes really far in my book. Kudos.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I recieved and filled out one of the common "how did you like your stay" surveys. I mentioned two things that I felt could use improvement.

I expected these survey responses to just go nowhere, but to my suprise the "Assistant Front Office Manager" emailed me directly asking me to elaborate on my issues.

The fact that they are listening and want to understand/ improve goes really far in my book. Kudos.
If you're Diamond, you will consistently get responses to any negative comments in the survey.

Some properties don't send the surveys. They're the ones that don't care.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
A small correction

The Park City Marriott is not in Park Meadows - it is in Prospector. I used to live in Park Meadows. Park Meadows is on the North side of Kearns Blvd and is all residential and has the MARC (the city rec center). Prospector is on the South side of Kearns and has a mix of residential and commercial and has Silver Mountain (the private rec center).

There are actually 4 Marriott properties in Park City proper - the PC Marriott, the Marriott Mountainside (adjacent to PCMR), the Marriott Summit Watch (at the bottom of Main Street), and Hotel Park City (an Autograph Collection hotel). Mountainside and Summit Watch are part of the Vacation Club, but I believe they do nightly transient also.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: A few
Is there anything being done about this hotel gaming the reservation system to prevent award bookings? Maybe GP Concierge can comment
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:14 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

The room types used for award bookings are the ADA King Shower room or 2 Queen beds room. If you see one of these room types available at the standard rate you should be able to book with points.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:27 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
The room types used for award bookings are the ADA King Shower room or 2 Queen beds room. If you see one of these room types available at the standard rate you should be able to book with points.
Thank you for that info, but that just seems strange that the only standard King Rooms would be the ADA version. That doesn't seem quite fair to those who need an ADA room, or to those looking for a truly standard King room.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Tried booking one of the Residence Suites today with the CITI Prestige 4th night free benefit and was told that these are actually individually owned and the hotel just rents them out. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate? There are some decent rates on suites at the moment so definitely want to take advantage if this is eligible.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dsm2m2; Nov 28, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Just completed a 5-night stay here in a 2-bedroom residence.

Pros:
- Beautiful Property / Amenities / Pool area
- Great Location
- Recently renovated rooms (told we were first to stay in ours since renovation)
- Friendly staff
- Free Valet (included in resort fee)

Cons:
- Zero Diamond Recognition
- No upgrade offered (we were already in a suite so no big deal)
- Charged us for breakfast (eventually got it removed)
- Diamond Welcome Amenity did not post (did receive retro bonus)
- Terrible Housekeeping (only came 1x during our stay)

Overall we had a good time and the property itself is beautiful. The cons mentioned above were mostly minor annoyances that didn't affect our stay too much however it was a little disappointing given the price we paid and the level of service you would normally expect from a Hyatt (I have had mostly positive experiences).

Feel free to ask me any questions if anyone wants to know anything specific.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.