Wiki Posts
Search

Beijing: Grand or Park?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Beijing: Grand or Park?

I have an upcoming trip to PEK and are wondering if I should stay at Grand or Park. Let's say price is not a concern, but comfort, location, great service are. I have read various reviews on both the Grand and Hyatt threads. The general view seems to be Park of course is more plush, grand does better in terms of location. For folks who have stayed in both of these properties, does the difference in luxury really merit the selection of Park over Grand in Beijing. And does the location of Grand trump Park's? This is a leisure trip, however I am not going to be a busy tourist who has to see/do everything. Rather this is more like a relaxing holiday.

Your helpful suggestions and advise is warmly welcomed.

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Nov 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
First time in Beijing, do the Grand. It is far better located in the heart of the city, a short walk to the Forbidden City and Tienamen Square. There's really nothing but office towers where the Park Hyatt is located, though the architecture is interesting out there. If you're a Diamond, you'll have the lounge and its generous offerings. The luxury standard is about on par since the Grand is indeed plush and grand. At the Park, you'll spend much of your time getting to places you could otherwise walk to.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
First time in Beijing, do the Grand. It is far better located in the heart of the city, a short walk to the Forbidden City and Tienamen Square. There's really nothing but office towers where the Park Hyatt is located, though the architecture is interesting out there. If you're a Diamond, you'll have the lounge and its generous offerings. The luxury standard is about on par since the Grand is indeed plush and grand. At the Park, you'll spend much of your time getting to places you could otherwise walk to.
Thanks! How about restaurants? Any good eveggie places? Professional massage/spas. Has anyone tried spa at the hotel?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've stayed at both, more than once.

You will not get great service at either hotel. Your choice should be between the Park and club level at the Grand. Do not assume you will get upgraded to club level at the Grand, they seem to do their best to figure out how not to do that.

What there is at the Park is a subway stop and an entirely underground passage to get there from the hotel, so other places are accessible, although there is a lot more of interest within walking distance of the Grand, as others have mentioned.

I voted to chose the Park, but it's not overwhelmingly better. The luxury standard is not equal IMO, however, as the above poster claims. I'd decide based on comparing rates for the two, but compare club level to the Park at a minimum.

Good luck being veggie in China!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 7:49 am

I haven't stayed at Grand Hyatt Beijing but my stay at Park Hyatt Beijing was near perfection. In contrast to the experience of others, I found that the service at PH Beijing exceeded my expectations, particularly in helping to resolve a bank card issue for my wife. (I really should post a review in the review thread).

In terms of location the Grand Hyatt is more convenient, that said PH Beijing is connected to Gumao subway station (on line 1 and line 10) which is roughly about 5 stops from Tian'anmen Square so I wouldn't let that factor tip the scales too much.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I prefer the Park by a significant margin, though I do admit that Made in China almost lives up to its hype (moreso than China Grill).
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:07 am

I have stayed at both, multiple times, and greatly prefer the Park. The regular rooms in the Grand feel really old (similar in style to GHHK and GH Taipei rather than the newer ones) and the hallways have a stale, mushy smell.

The Grand is more convenient for tourists, because it is on Wangfujing and taxis seem to know where it is; the Park is not well known to taxis at all, even if you show the driver the hotel card or tell them it's at the Yintai Centre. Subway is very convenient from the Park, but a lot of people don't enjoy the Beijing subway due to crowding (especially on line 1).
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by wala
I have stayed at both, multiple times, and greatly prefer the Park. The regular rooms in the Grand feel really old (similar in style to GHHK and GH Taipei rather than the newer ones) and the hallways have a stale, mushy smell.

The Grand is more convenient for tourists, because it is on Wangfujing and taxis seem to know where it is; the Park is not well known to taxis at all.
True, but almost all taxis know Guomao (across Chang'an Jie), most know Jianwai SoHo (the hotel is basically in the same complex), and an increasing number know Xiu (the bar that is attached to the hotel).
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:13 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I solved the taxi problem for the Park by just telling them to take me to Guo Mao (the name of the subway station). Takes a while to get the pronounciation right but once you do, they all know it, and you can direct them when you get close. However, wherever they drop you off, it's close to the hotel.

Wow, moondoggie beat me to it!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Only stayed at the PH, and LOVED that hotel...love the modern sleek lines, the food was great...but I agree taxis did not know how to find it.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wala

The Grand is more convenient for tourists, because it is on Wangfujing and taxis seem to know where it is; the Park is not well known to taxis at all, even if you show the driver the hotel card or tell them it's at the Yintai Centre. Subway is very convenient from the Park, but a lot of people don't enjoy the Beijing subway due to crowding (especially on line 1).
Welcome to FT WALA! And thanks for your suggestion as you very first post. ^
Old Nov 18, 2010, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
Any good eveggie places?
I suppose you already know about vegdining and happycow:

http://www.happycow.net/asia/china/beijing/

In most Chinese cities, there are usually Chinese vegetarian restaurants, as many Buddhists eat vegetarian food on the 1st and 15th of each lunar month. Just a general word of advice though, a lot of these veggie restaurants (especially Cantonese style ones) tend to use a lot of oil, and the mock meats could be greasy and full of seasonings that might contain chemicals. But you should be able to find decent health-oriented ones.

If you end up ordering veggie food in regular Chinese restaurants, be sure to ask for (if you don't speak putonghua, instructions written in Chinese would help) no meat/chicken stock/powder, oyster sauce, fish sauce, shrimp paste, lard, etc. and ask them to wash the wok and utensils first. Otherwise you may find small pieces of meat in your veggie dish. Also, some Chinese bakeries (particularly old-fashioned ones) use lard in or on their bread and other baked items such as egg custard tarts.

Last edited by sfvoyage; Nov 18, 2010 at 4:32 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I suppose you already know about vegdining and happycow:

http://www.happycow.net/asia/china/beijing/

In most Chinese cities, there are usually Chinese vegetarian restaurants, as many Buddhists eat vegetarian food on the 1st and 15th of each lunar month. Just a general word of advice though, a lot of these veggie restaurants (especially Cantonese style ones) tend to use a lot of oil, and the mock meats could be greasy and full of seasonings that might contain chemicals. But you should be able to find decent health-oriented ones.

If you end up ordering veggie food in regular Chinese restaurants, be sure to ask for (if you don't speak putonghua, instructions written in Chinese would help) no meat/chicken stock/powder, oyster sauce, fish sauce, shrimp paste, lard, etc. and ask them to wash the wok and utensils first. Otherwise you may find small pieces of meat in your veggie dish. Also, some Chinese bakeries (particularly old-fashioned ones) use lard in or on their bread and other baked items such as egg custard tarts.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll stick to the cult(ish) pure veg. joints or Buddhist institutions for most if not all my meals.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:54 am
Original Poster

I am going to go a little off-topic here.

So I am still pondering Hyatt choices in Beijing/area. I've also recently read of the new Jingjin city property and the spa facilities/natural hot springs there sound quite enticing. I'd let the gurus comment on my tentative plan.

Intent of this trip: Relax, rejuvinate, try chinese medicine, sample great food, have nice massages and if I had extra time then do some sightseeing but this touristy agenda is very low on the priority. PEK is just a (albeit not a short) flight away and I am sure there will be plenty opportunities to return.

Duration: I arrive into PEK a Thursday afternoon at 4:25pm. I leave from PEK at 1:40pm on Sunday afternoon.

PLAN 1: Jingjin City
Arrive into PEK, get a taxi to Jingjin city (it is about 95 km away from the airport. Will I be able to get a taxi that is willing to take me that far off? What should I expect? Any tips would be appreciated. Hyatt can arrange a BMW pickup for 900RMB but this price seems a little too steep). Stay in Jingjin until Sunday.

PLAN 2: PH Beijing and Jingjin City
Arrive into PEK, get into PH Beijing (train + subway). Stay on Thursday night. Comp. breakfast at PH. Check out the Forbidden city, have nice lunch. Check out on and head to Jingjin. Hire taxi for half day, go to Wall on the area. Stay in Jingjin until Sunday.

Some Hyatt related considerations:
1. Jingjin city is only 5K points/night vis a vis 18K for PH. Cash price is also a third in comparison.
2. Regency club at Jingjin is only open on Weekends (was told by the property directly).
3. Diamonds get comp. upgraded to club level or higher if that is not available.
4. Jingjin city spa offers Chinese medicine (herbal consultation) which is unavailable at PH. Spa prices are much more affordable too.

Some non-Hyatt considerations:
1. Concerned about air quality in Beijing. I don't do well in pollution. I am hoping Jingjin city and the local area will have better air.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticism all welcome!

Last edited by Cheerfulflyer; Nov 19, 2010 at 12:03 pm
Old Nov 19, 2010, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
I've also recently read of the new Jingjin city property and the spa facilities/natural hot springs there sound quite enticing.
I have a colleague that's been there a few times with his son; he tells me that it's good for a night and half a day, but not much more. Although I've never tried it myself, that advice makes sense to me because I do hot springs often and 36 hours is my typical max (even at really great resorts).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.