Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2013, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: whitesol
HYATT GOLD PASSPORT® DIAMOND TRIAL
Terms and Conditions

To qualify for this promotion, member must contact Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service at 800.304.9288 or [email protected] between June 1, 2013, and April 30, 2014, reference Offer Code DMD14 and provide a statement with their account activity from a competitor. Upon enrollment, member will receive trial Diamond membership for 60 days. To maintain Diamond membership through February 2015, member must complete 12 eligible nights at any Hyatt worldwide within 60 days of enrollment. Member will also receive 1,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points on their first six (6) eligible nights within 60 days. Maximum 6,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points may be earned. Diamond 30% point bonus will be awarded for all eligible stays during the 60-day trial membership period when member chooses points for their stay. If member completes the stay requirements they will receive a new membership card, valid through February 2015, within 3-4 weeks of qualifying. Membership benefits will be available when member provides their Hyatt Gold Passport number at time of reservation and check-in.

Limit one trial tier offer per member. Hyatt Gold Passport will track all eligible nights in which a Hyatt Gold Passport account number is provided. An eligible night is defined as a single night at any Hyatt in which an eligible rate is paid. For the purposes of this Promotion, an “Eligible Rate” shall be defined as any hotel published room rate, including, but not limited to, rates found on hyatt.com, the Hyatt Daily Rate, Volume Account Rates, AAA and Senior Citizen rates. “Ineligible Rates” are discounted rates, including, but not limited to, any free night stays, Third Party Internet Rates (examples include priceline.com, hotels.com, Expedia, and Travelocity), traditional wholesale rates (examples include GOGO Worldwide Vacations, Pleasant Holidays, etc.), airline crew rates, airline employee rates, travel agency employee rates, Club at the Hyatt discount certificate stays, Hyatt employee or employee family discount rates, airline interrupted-trip vouchers or contracted rooms (a contract room is a room that has been reserved pursuant to a written and executed agreement between a hotel and a corporation, government agency or individual for a negotiated room rate in exchange for an agreed upon number of rooms to be rented for an extended period of time). Back-to-back stays at a single Hyatt are considered one stay. Hyatt Gold Passport reserves the right to alter or withdraw this promotion at any time without notice.

The following are all the competitors and required status to qualify for the Diamond Trial Offer.

Hilton Honors- Gold VIP and Diamond
Marriott- Gold and Platinum
Starwood- Platinum
Priority Club (now IHG Rewards Club)-Platinum
Fairmont Hotel (one FT has had success)

Please note, the competitor statement must indicate your name, tier status and at least one stay in the last 12 months. Please email statement of your membership activity with a competitor to us for processing.

This promotion is subject to the complete Terms and Conditions of the Hyatt Gold Passport program. For complete program terms and conditions, visit goldpassport.com. Hyatt Hotels & Resorts® encompasses hotels managed, franchised or leased by subsidiaries and affiliates of Hyatt Hotels Corporation. The trademarks Hyatt®, Hyatt Hotels & Resorts®, Park Hyatt®, Andaz®, Grand Hyatt®, Hyatt Regency®, Hyatt Place®, HYATT house®, Hyatt Residence Club®, Hyatt Gold Passport®, and related marks are trademarks of Hyatt Corporation and its affiliates. ©2013 Hyatt Corporation. All rights reserved.

Important note on timeframe: You have 60 days from the start of the challenge to complete the 12 nights, regardless of what the expiration date is on the your account profile. You may still retain Diamond status until the end of the month in which your trial period ends.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Tier (Status) Matching (Challenge) Information - 11/10(ended 10/31/14)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
So with that in mind does anyone have any good suggestions on somewhere for a really good mattress run? I am wondering what is the cheapest I could get to reach 12 nights pure mattress run? Have some stays planned for 2014 that could make Diamond worth keeping.
Some strategic suggestions: Two geographic areas are best, IME - the DC/Northern Virginia area, and the DFW/Dallas/etc. area. Time of year is also important. In the DC area in particular, July 4th week, Thanksgiving week and dates around Christmas - depending on how the holidays fall during the week - but particularly between Christmas and New Year's. "Everybody" goes home then. Good for us mice. The Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday periods in both the DFW and DC areas used to be great for the Faster Free Nights promos that were stay-based because you could hotel hop to optimum effect - minimizing associated travel costs. Hotels in DC proper could/can* be had for < $75/nt., and in the hinterlands for ~ $55. (* "Past performance is no guarantee of future..." - e.g., YMMV.)

But I suggest that similar strategy is still the best for someone trying to spend the minimum because hotels in good proximity to one another can differ in which days their rates are the lowest in the area. Including the fact that full-service Hyatts - Fair Lakes, Dulles - can be less than the proximate Hyatt Places and Houses. If you decide to exploit this, you'll see why. They and the surrounding office parks etc. are ghost towns. (You'll see similar at single properties elsewhere such as Denver Tech Center, but you won't have the "buffet" of properties to choose from.)

I don't know where or how one could do better when everything is thrown into the total - but would welcome hearing better ideas. To be sure, these ideas don't take into account the recent proliferation of HPs and HHs in the Hyatt family.

Old Aug 21, 2013, 7:13 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by RTW1
The suite upgrades are far more attractive than upgrading with points. The upgrades can be used with any paid rate, the points mostly only when paying the daily rate.

So it wouldn't be a bad thing if the suite upgrades would be only be awarded after completion of the challenge. Now people who only intend to have a few nights are using them diminishing capacity for the really loyal GP members. And it's most likely also one of the reasons places like Kauai have downgraded the type of suite to be gotten when using an upgrade.
Hyatts goal in offering these challenges is to attract the customer for the long term so they want to showcase their Diamond status including the suite upgrades. What they should do is takeaway the suite upgrades if the member doesn't complete the challenge (expire them with the status challenge). This wont eliminate all the "gamers" who do the challenge just for the suite upgrades but would eliminate the "overhang".
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

But I still wonder how many of those who can't even make the 12 nights in 60 days (for a period they have total control over in choosing) will really be longtime customers.... Not very much I would presume.

What I mostly see happening here is that there are plenty of people who will only stay once or twice and use their temporary Diamond status to score suites and free breakfast without any intention of ever becoming Diamond again (unless it's free). And in that way taking out the inventory for others at popular locations.

But how much of a "problem" that really is probably only GP can tell, what we see here might not be a good representation of what is actually happening.

I see plenty of posts here from people who get status somewhere through a credit card and struggle to even have one (paid) stay in that program to apply for the challenge. Those will most likely never going to be anything resembling a good customer. All they care about is having everything for free. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes you wonder how easy loyalty programs should make that.....

But well, the impact of the suite upgrades is probably insignificant on availability for others. And GP probably sees results from running the challenge the way they do now.

Last edited by RTW1; Aug 21, 2013 at 9:45 am
Old Aug 21, 2013, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
But I still wonder how many of those who can't even make the 12 nights in 60 days (for a period they have total control over in choosing) will really be longtime customers.... Not very much I would presume.

What I mostly see happening here is that there are plenty of people who will only stay once or twice and use their temporary Diamond status to score suites and free breakfast without any intention of ever becoming Diamond again (unless it's free). And in that way taking out the inventory for others at popular locations.

But how much of a "problem" that really is probably only GP can tell, what we see here might not be a good representation of what is actually happening.

But I see plenty of posts here from people who get status somewhere through a credit card and struggle to even have one (paid) stay in that program to apply for the challenge. Those will most likely never going to be anything resembling a good customer. All they care about is having everything for free. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes you wonder how easy loyalty programs should make that.....
I have to disagree with this a little bit. I agree that the prestige with Diamond should remain and in some aspects things may have to change. I also agree that in order to do this, suite upgrades should expire when the challenge does.

However, because I only travel once a month or so (I am in law school, so hopefully this will change, but doubtful!), I only book through Hyatt and this will never get me diamond unless I stay many nights during those stays. The only way for me to get this (albeit as a loyal customer) is to retain a credit card (that I won't use) that has a higher tier so I may match to Hyatt and complete the challenge. Will I stay one night to show that I've "used" that status at the other company? Sure, but no more than that, because my loyalty lies with Hyatt.

For me, it is nice having the option to do the Diamond Challenge, but unfortunately I am unable to without showing a higher tier status with another hotel company that I rarely stay with. Therefore, obtaining a credit card which grants me that status and staying one night is necessary for me. I don't consider myself less of a loyal customer, it's just that I don't have the availability to travel more, but when I do, I want it to be with Hyatt and I want to reap the benefits of only sticking with Hyatt.

I hope this makes some sense, and I don't mean to offend you. I just think there are loyal customers that unfortunately cannot make 50 nights/year, but ultimately do choose Hyatt over any others every time and will make the 12 nights/60 days to be reap the benefits for (hopefully) a long time.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by jennbar
I have to disagree with this a little bit. I agree that the prestige with Diamond should remain and in some aspects things may have to change. I also agree that in order to do this, suite upgrades should expire when the challenge does.

However, because I only travel once a month or so (I am in law school, so hopefully this will change, but doubtful!), I only book through Hyatt and this will never get me diamond unless I stay many nights during those stays. The only way for me to get this (albeit as a loyal customer) is to retain a credit card (that I won't use) that has a higher tier so I may match to Hyatt and complete the challenge. Will I stay one night to show that I've "used" that status at the other company? Sure, but no more than that, because my loyalty lies with Hyatt.

For me, it is nice having the option to do the Diamond Challenge, but unfortunately I am unable to without showing a higher tier status with another hotel company that I rarely stay with. Therefore, obtaining a credit card which grants me that status and staying one night is necessary for me. I don't consider myself less of a loyal customer, it's just that I don't have the availability to travel more, but when I do, I want it to be with Hyatt and I want to reap the benefits of only sticking with Hyatt.

I hope this makes some sense, and I don't mean to offend you. I just think there are loyal customers that unfortunately cannot make 50 nights/year, but ultimately do choose Hyatt over any others every time and will make the 12 nights/60 days to be reap the benefits for (hopefully) a long time.
Well, take heart then, because there’s an elite level for you: Platinum!!

Seriously though, if what’s being reported is accurate then one really must question the soundness of maintaining Diamond status if it involves any out-of-the-way effort. If one can do repeated challenges then why work to maintain Diamond at all? In fact, if challenges are available essentially anytime one wants, over and over, then why wouldn’t one wait until one has a trip planned, book a challenge, and rape, er... reap, the effortless benefits? One can have the confirmed upgrades, the brekkies, the club access, the 1W amenity just for the asking. Heck, Hyatt will even throw in another 6,000 points for those first 6 nights (not even stays!), extra points that plain ol’ regular Diamonds won't get.

My thinking is that if challenges may be repeated, under the current challenge format, then it’s a game changer. I don’t need to think about keeping Diamond at all if it’ll be handed to me anytime I want it, even if it’s for an admittedly brief 60-day period. But if I fail the challenge, then I’ll just do another one later if I have any stays that might truly be enhanced by status. Wash, rinse, repeat the Hyatt way. I might even rack up 8 suite upgrades per year instead of the 4. Plus another 12,000 GP points for good measure.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Windward Side of Life

Seriously though, if what’s being reported is accurate then one really must question the soundness of maintaining Diamond status if it involves any out-of-the-way effort. If one can do repeated challenges then why work to maintain Diamond at all? In fact, if challenges are available essentially anytime one wants, over and over, then why wouldn’t one wait until one has a trip planned, book a challenge, and rape, er... reap, the effortless benefits? One can have the confirmed upgrades, the brekkies, the club access, the 1W amenity just for the asking. Heck, Hyatt will even throw in another 6,000 points for those first 6 nights (not even stays!), extra points that plain ol’ regular Diamonds won't get.

My thinking is that if challenges may be repeated, under the current challenge format, then it’s a game changer. I don’t need to think about keeping Diamond at all if it’ll be handed to me anytime I want it, even if it’s for an admittedly brief 60-day period. But if I fail the challenge, then I’ll just do another one later if I have any stays that might truly be enhanced by status. Wash, rinse, repeat the Hyatt way. I might even rack up 8 suite upgrades per year instead of the 4. Plus another 12,000 GP points for good measure.
I admittedly have to agree its sort of game changer as well. Not in the sense that ill wash rinse and repeat, but with the diamond upgrades transferable I could sign up my spouse which I refrained to do up to this point, and use her suite upgrades to qualify up to 56 nights on Diamond suite upgrades in any given year. Admittedly, with points with suite upgrades the cost of doing so is nominal so not worth doing, but if I started hitting up many properties that have big pricing gaps more than 4 stays a year, I see opportunity to do that.

Otherwise I'm not too worried about the overhang on the suite upgrades because most hotels in continental US don't have big of a difference between the regular rate and the discounted rate to book suites. 12 nights in 60 days is staying at a Hyatt worth 6 months for most in a 2 month condensed period (to qualify for Hyatt traditionally using 25 stays per calendar year). That's because most check in and out12 times to max out on earning points. So in essence if someone signs up for a challenge and does the challenge even twice, then the member is giving business at a higher rate then what traditional Diamonds do(years worth of business in 4 months). That's ok with me.

Those who touch taste and feel, I guess they leave with a positive experience. Those who go out of the way to redo the challenge, then Hyatt is just creating a loyal customer base more effectively then a status match which they used to do.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I admittedly have to agree its sort of game changer as well. Not in the sense that ill wash rinse and repeat, but with the diamond upgrades transferable I could sign up my spouse which I refrained to do up to this point, and use her suite upgrades to qualify up to 56 nights on Diamond suite upgrades in any given year. Admittedly, with points with suite upgrades the cost of doing so is nominal so not worth doing, but if I started hitting up many properties that have big pricing gaps more than 4 stays a year, I see opportunity to do that.

Otherwise I'm not too worried about the overhang on the suite upgrades because most hotels in continental US don't have big of a difference between the regular rate and the discounted rate to book suites. 12 nights in 60 days is staying at a Hyatt worth 6 months for most in a 2 month condensed period (to qualify for Hyatt traditionally using 25 stays per calendar year). That's because most check in and out12 times to max out on earning points. So in essence if someone signs up for a challenge and does the challenge even twice, then the member is giving business at a higher rate then what traditional Diamonds do(years worth of business in 4 months). That's ok with me.

Those who touch taste and feel, I guess they leave with a positive experience. Those who go out of the way to redo the challenge, then Hyatt is just creating a loyal customer base more effectively then a status match which they used to do.
The Diamond suite upgrades are "transferable"?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:51 pm

I am a platinum, however the privileges are pretty limited. I understand that you should not be able to do the challenge multiple times. In fact, I hope to retrieve it with a challenge and maintain it because I will have graduated from school.

I was more commenting about going a roundabout way to get status with another hotel company because I ultimately don't stay anywhere else. I don't give myself another way because I want to show loyalty to Hyatt. I had two Hyatt stays last month, one in September, two in October, and an MLife for NYE.

Unfortunately because I rarely stay at other chains, I may have to look into their programs as they may fit me better!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
The Diamond suite upgrades are "transferable"?
http://goldpassport.hyatt.com/gp/en/...4190&cat_id=16

I guess reviewing the terms and conditions, the award is not transferable. My mistake. With my spouse travelling with me always as we travel leisurely, we can add both names onto the reservation.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:10 pm

Funnily enough, loyalty doesn't actually matter. The qualification criteria doesn't say "You must stay with us for over 75% of your annual hotel stays, whether it's 10 per year or 100 per year" - rather, it says "25 stays or 50 nights". Just like the airlines and the annual requirement to fly x number of miles, not to "take airline X for every one of your annual vacation".

For someone who stays 200 nights in hotels per year, they can choose not to be very loyal at all and still keep Diamond. For someone who stays 10 nights per year, they can be as loyal as they like, but they will not fulfill the criteria. And so it should be, considering that ultimately it is a business program that recognises the amount of business one brings.

In reality it's a "frequent guest program" rather than a "loyalty guest program", and the repeatable and easily given Diamond Challenge is a distinct anomaly. Enjoy it while it lasts, but don't expect everything to continue in the same way - they've definitely been handing out too many Diamonds to too many people (myself included at the moment, though I keep middle tiers with HH/SW) and the status quo is simply unsustainable. It certainly wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:43 pm

Maybe, but not totally. For those like you who are serious about the program and travel a month and a half a year, yes, it's effective in creating a "loyal" customer base. For those who are taking a couple of big trips and want all the bennies - and who doesn't? - then it's perhaps negating loyalty. As I alluded to previously, why should I go out of my way to maintain Diamond if I can just go get/keep an IHG credit card, get my automatic IHG platinum status, make a $65 HIX stay, and ring up GP for my Diamond challenge? I can then book Kauai for 5 nights and waltz into my suite (hopefully ocean front!), dine for free at the club, lounge under my free cabana, and toast GP and their amazing generosity. Then I can go home, bemoan the unfortunate loss of my Diamond status, which I never really intended to keep, and get busy keeping an eye out for Hyatt sales so I can book Kauai again next year and do it all again. I guess that can be a definition of loyalty, but it isn't mine.

My point is, if you're coming up a half dozen stays short of Diamond, why go out and work/pay for it? Just do the challenge whenever you really, truly want it. Many of us are traveling in spurts anyway, so use the challenges for those meaningful spurts and forget about anything more.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:53 pm

I am a platinum, however the privileges are pretty limited. I understand that you should not be able to do the challenge multiple times. In fact, I hope to retrieve it with a challenge and maintain it because I will have graduated from school.

I was more commenting about going a roundabout way to get status with another hotel company because I ultimately don't stay anywhere else. I don't give myself another way because I want to show loyalty to Hyatt. I had two Hyatt stays last month, one in September, two in October, and an MLife for NYE.

Unfortunately because I rarely stay at other chains, I may have to look into their programs as they may fit me better!
The privileges are pretty limited because your stays/nights are prettily limited. It's the unfortunate reality of programs for all of us.

I don't begrudge your opportunity to sample and earn Diamond status, I'm sure most of us have utilized a status match/challenge in one program or another. I'm simply saying that in light of what the GP challenge program apparently affords, one must question if it's really prudent to keep Diamond or simply utilize the allotments of points/bennies repeatedly when one truly wants them.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Maybe, but not totally. For those like you who are serious about the program and travel a month and a half a year, yes, it's effective in creating a "loyal" customer base. For those who are taking a couple of big trips and want all the bennies - and who doesn't? - then it's perhaps negating loyalty. As I alluded to previously, why should I go out of my way to maintain Diamond if I can just go get/keep an IHG credit card, get my automatic IHG platinum status, make a $65 HIX stay, and ring up GP for my Diamond challenge? I can then book Kauai for 5 nights and waltz into my suite (hopefully ocean front!), dine for free at the club, lounge under my free cabana, and toast GP and their amazing generosity. Then I can go home, bemoan the unfortunate loss of my Diamond status, which I never really intended to keep, and get busy keeping an eye out for Hyatt sales so I can book Kauai again next year and do it all again. I guess that can be a definition of loyalty, but it isn't mine.

My point is, if you're coming up a half dozen stays short of Diamond, why go out and work/pay for it? Just do the challenge whenever you really, truly want it. Many of us are traveling in spurts anyway, so use the challenges for those meaningful spurts and forget about anything more.
IME its tough to book Hawaii properties on a challenge. Essentially almost impossible with little time within 60 days to book and get the stay in within the challenge using diamond suite upgrades. Perhaps low season for some days if lucky. But you're flying out at least 5 to 7 hours each way, so it makes sense to stay a couple weeks or so given the expense on flights and the number of things to do on the islands.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:24 pm

IME its tough to book Hawaii properties on a challenge. Essentially almost impossible with little time within 60 days to book and get the stay in within the challenge using diamond suite upgrades. Perhaps low season for some days if lucky. But you're flying out at least 5 to 7 hours each way, so it makes sense to stay a couple weeks or so given the expense on flights and the number of things to do on the islands.
Therein lies the beauty of the challenge: one starts it when one wants to. One can book a property 6 months out, wait until 6 weeks before traveling, call for challenge and book the suite if it's open. Sure, Hawaii may be tougher than most for upgrades close in, but trust me it happens. And Hawaii was only an example, same with 5 days. Any self-respecting FT'er would know to maximize their leverage and bounce over to Maui and plunder that island too. Hey, at worst, you're paying for the cheapest parking lot view and getting at least a partial ocean view, if not ocean front plus club and other assorted goodies including your lovely 6,000 freebie points.

But no need to worry anyway, the upgrades stay in the account regardless of whether or not one meets the challenge. That affords all kind of time...
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Therein lies the beauty of the challenge: one starts it when one wants to. One can book a property 6 months out, wait until 6 weeks before traveling, call for challenge and book the suite if it's open. Sure, Hawaii may be tougher than most for upgrades close in, but trust me it happens. And Hawaii was only an example, same with 5 days. Any self-respecting FT'er would know to maximize their leverage and bounce over to Maui and plunder that island too. Hey, at worst, you're paying for the cheapest parking lot view and getting at least a partial ocean view, if not ocean front plus club and other assorted goodies including your lovely 6,000 freebie points.

But no need to worry anyway, the upgrades stay in the account regardless of whether or not one meets the challenge. That affords all kind of time...
Therein lies the beauty of FT. It's available so use it.

I did book Maui a short time out. Waikiki is booked solid a year out and GH Kauai its really tough but its not impossible for suites. I think the room upgrades you're right is a great benefit. I was just thinking about the suites when I was saying its tough to complete the challenge by booking suites in Hawaii. But if the best room available strikes your fancy, then its a way to go.

I think Hyatt sees anyone who goes to Hawaii as extra business through the challenge that they wouldn't get from other elite members of other hotel chains. Plus then the member gets suite upgrades that probably can't be used in Hawaii during the challenge so that means some more residual business.

Remember the status match for Hyatt did not mean material business. The challenge they are attempting to hook line and sinker with great service. The way the Challenge is setup, Hyatt does get business and a chance to Win business. It's got me surprised the uncompromising service and great benefits received during the challenge and has so far won my loyalty even more traditionally than the Fairmonts I've frequented for the past ten years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.