Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why Does Hyatt Deduct Points For Award Stays Immediately But Never Refund The Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Does Hyatt Deduct Points For Award Stays Immediately But Never Refund The Points?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM

So Hyatt now takes points out of your account right when you book an award stay. Fine. Less people booking speculative awards.

But why when the award is canceled do the points not get returned automatically?
Hyatt CS agents always say that the points will go back automatically within 24-48 hours, but 100% of the time I find myself calling back a few days later to get the points manually returned.

And if I ask right away when I cancel for the points to be manually put back I often encounter strong resistance from the agent.

And on a related note, why can't awards be canceled online? If they can be booked online surely there must be a way to allow them to be canceled online as well!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
We all know that Hyatt's IT leaves a lot to be desired and that one has to live with it...

They get an email from me once a month with a summary of all the points that are missing and normally it is corrected within a couple of days...

Much easier in comparison to contacting them after every stay, not to mention calling them...

It is inconvenient?

Yes, but I cannot say that SPG or IHG are significantly better, so there is no competitive disadvantage at all and I highly appreciate the ability to book awards a minute before the stay now vs. a week before only back in the days... ^
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:20 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
And on a related note, why can't awards be canceled online? If they can be booked online surely there must be a way to allow them to be canceled online as well!
I know members used to be able to cancel award stays online (but modifying an award stay online was never possible--at least that I could remember.) But that seems to have changed now.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 1:58 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thc
I know members used to be able to cancel award stays online.....
has something changed? I haven't canceled an award recently but as of earlier this year, I was able to cancel an award online and the points always went back into my acct.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
has something changed? I haven't canceled an award recently but as of earlier this year, I was able to cancel an award online and the points always went back into my acct.
Yes, when they stared pulling points at the time of booking they stopped letting us cancel online.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA
Couldn't agree more. I experienced exactly the same experience as you did. I made a few award reservations and I had to made the first call to cancel the reservation and waited a few days to call to get the points back.

SPG is much easier--booking and canceling all doable online.

So Hyatt now takes points out of your account right when you book an award stay. Fine. Less people booking speculative awards.

But why when the award is canceled do the points not get returned automatically?
Hyatt CS agents always say that the points will go back automatically within 24-48 hours, but 100% of the time I find myself calling back a few days later to get the points manually returned.

And if I ask right away when I cancel for the points to be manually put back I often encounter strong resistance from the agent.

Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nihaoa
Couldn't agree more. I experienced exactly the same experience as you did. I made a few award reservations and I had to made the first call to cancel the reservation and waited a few days to call to get the points back.

SPG is much easier--booking and canceling all doable online.
Not just that, but every time I call the Diamond agent will be like, "Oh those should have gone back automatically."

Hello, they NEVER do unless the agent manually puts them back in at the time of cancellation.

And yes SPG is much better, and the points always go back automatically when canceled online within 24 hours without ever having to call.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
And yes SPG is much better, and the points always go back automatically when canceled online within 24 hours without ever having to call.
Not really, exactly the same story for me.

SPG also gets an email once a month as a reminder to add missing points to my account, especially the 250/500 point Platinum bonus...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
Not sure why you are having so many problems, but I cancelled a reservation within the past few months and I was able to do it online and the points automatically returned to my account.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:01 am
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
same here.. up to few weeks ago the points were automatically post after cancellations.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toula
Not sure why you are having so many problems, but I cancelled a reservation within the past few months and I was able to do it online and the points automatically returned to my account.
Well awards most definitely can't be canceled online anymore.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:55 pm
wpj

Well awards most definitely can't be canceled online anymore.
what do you mean? my awards still show the cancel button on the goldpassport page.. or u talking of FFN awards?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:03 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by wpj
what do you mean? my awards still show the cancel button on the goldpassport page.. or u talking of FFN awards?
I have seen that too. But then after I press the cancel button, I am redirected to a page instructing me to call Gold Passport to proceed with the cancellation.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 1:10 pm
wpj

Originally Posted by thc
I have seen that too. But then after I press the cancel button, I am redirected to a page instructing me to call Gold Passport to proceed with the cancellation.
that's right ! I tried and shows the message.. apparently is new thing. thanks !
Old Oct 26, 2010, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thc
+1.
And unless you get that rare outstanding rep that manually puts the points back in your account you'll be calling back again a few days later because the system isn't refunding points back like it should.

Such a PITA!
Bring online cancellations back and have it refund the points upon cancellation as quick as Hyatt.com now zaps the points out of your account upon redemption.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.