Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Why Does Hyatt Deduct Points For Award Stays Immediately But Never Refund The Points?

Why Does Hyatt Deduct Points For Award Stays Immediately But Never Refund The Points?

Old Oct 26, 2010, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Not just that, but every time I call the Diamond agent will be like, "Oh those should have gone back automatically."

Hello, they NEVER do unless the agent manually puts them back in at the time of cancellation...
Sorry to say, nearly always: Me too. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me, especially back in the day when I was using points and flying much more actively.* "I can't tell you," literally, because this was the case so often, and I didn't have the time to dog it closely. "Back in the day," because the two things that changed were at my end: I'm doing it much less, and I got back with the Personal Line representative. This is one of the miracles she works, retroactively.

* I will note that it happened with United, regularly, as well.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
GP Concierges, anything to say on the matter?
Old Nov 10, 2010, 12:38 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
GP Concierges, anything to say on the matter?
For most cases the points are put back automatically. There has been a growing amount of times when a representative cancels the reservation that points aren't done automatically. This is an error we have been working to correct. If you do not see the points automatically back in your account or have any questions please feel free to PM us. We are always more than happy to assist.

Sincerely,
Chrissi R.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
For most cases the points are put back automatically. There has been a growing amount of times when a representative cancels the reservation that points aren't done automatically. This is an error we have been working to correct. If you do not see the points automatically back in your account or have any questions please feel free to PM us. We are always more than happy to assist.

Sincerely,
Chrissi R.
Nobody on this thread has reported getting points back automatically unless the rep manually put them back.

If the rep tells you they don't want to manually put it back and that "they will go back within 24-72 hours" I have literally never seen them actually go back without calling back.

Please let us know when this bug is fixed.

And better yet, please let us cancel awards on Hyatt.com like we used to be able to do!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
In my experience, the points are refunded nearly instantly...
Old Nov 10, 2010, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinDutchman
In my experience, the points are refunded nearly instantly...
Yes, because most good reps know of the issue and manually refund the points while you are still on the phone.

It's the reps that say it will refund with a day or two by itself that are the issue.
Well technically the issue is Hyatt's IT, but that's another can of worms.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Can anyone update re how long it took your points to post back after cancelling award?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Can anyone update re how long it took your points to post back after cancelling award?
usually within 1 minute.. Sometimes you need to log out and log back in for your balance to adjust
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by martyYYZ
usually within 1 minute.. Sometimes you need to log out and log back in for your balance to adjust
After I canceled the award, the next screen said "it could take up to 72 hours for your points to be redeposited" (or something). But the 72 hours was clear. I have logged out and in and they haven't been redeposited. It's been only 48 hours, but I am anxious to rebook. Don't really want to call. Will if I have to but will just wait it out I guess.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:54 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by martyYYZ
Same here - instantly. even with the 1-7 or 1-4 category free night award
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Same here - instantly. even with the 1-7 or 1-4 category free night award
Also same. Cancelled over ten awards last year, all points posted within a minute.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Likewise.

Just cancelled 3 bookings, two on line and one via the call centre. All redeposited immediately. I even asked the call center agent how long it would take and she said she wasn't sure but would keep an eye on it over the coming days. But there was no need for that - when I logged in again immediately after the call, the points were back.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:45 am

Weird. I wonder why my cancellation had all the delay language. Another odd thing was that I couldn’t modify it online, which is why I canceled it. Was going to rebook different days.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:47 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Weird. I wonder why my cancellation had all the delay language. Another odd thing was that I couldnt modify it online, which is why I canceled it. Was going to rebook different days.
Yes, that is odd, but how Hyatt IT works. Award bookings can only be viewed or cancelled, not modified. You have to call for modifications, or cancel and book again.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I just did a P+C booking. Then I tried to cancel it and got an error. Then a few minutes later I was able to cancel it and the points were immediately refunded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.