Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Bigmac
Anyone have experience with quarantine (at the Hyatt Baha Mar) after testing positive before going home to US?

I just read a recent review a few days ago on the Facebook Hyatt Globalists group. The member talked about a family member that tested positive on the last day before flying out. He said that true to the guarantee, they paid for the room they were staying in along with all the meals for the people in his party. They got $150 @ per person for food. He said they tested the next day and it came back negative so they could leave.

I guess they just keep testing you until you test negative. I went last year and I thought they would make you stay there X # of days after you test positive but nope. He said once you test negative you leave if you can arrange the flights. I thought there was something on the form from the airline that said you haven't tested within X days of today but I guess it doesn't matter. He said his family member left the following day after they came back negative.

I asked if they were allowed to leave their room and he said technically they weren't supposed to but I'm not sure how they really regulate it. He didn't say if they left the room or not.

I thought the guarantee was awesome. It was a MAJOR pain in the butt last year getting to Bahamas due to so many tests and I NEVER would have went without this guarantee. Just keep in mind Hyatt has to be your first destination. I was going to go again this year and split up the trip here and Atlantis but we would have went to Atlantis first and I didn't want to hassle with all the testing.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:56 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Agoldsc1
I see above that the hotel charges $50 per rollaway bed. If my kids are fine sleeping on the couch, will they still make me pay the surcharge? If so, does the hotel have any way of tracking the number of guests in a room, or would I ostensibly be able to check in alone and then bring my wife and kids up later? We're staying in a one-bedroom suite, so space is not an issue.

Also, is there some general consensus regarding West Tower vs East Tower vs Reserve? Rooms in the Reserve seem to be smaller but more luxurious. Is it worth the trade-off?

Thanks!
Access to the waterpark and other facilities such as gym is managed through the Hyatt bracelet they give each guest.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by soy
Access to the waterpark and other facilities such as gym is managed through the Hyatt bracelet they give each guest.
Do young kids (6 and under) need bracelets as well?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:54 pm
soy

Programs: various
Not sure how low it goes, but I recall seeing kids younger than mine with bracelets. I'd guess 5yrs old.
Regular room with 2 Queens might be a better option, though I recall a recent post here about a suite with 2 beds
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Yes. I was there just before Covid and my 4yo needed a bracelet to access any/everything.

If they're young enough you could ask for a crib. Whether they sleep on the crib vs the couch shouldn't matter, but at least it would get around the rollaway charge.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:38 am

My daughter tested positive for COVID the night before we were to return to US. Part of the program, you test the night before you return home. She was the only one to test positive of the 4 of us.

They quarantined her in her room, tested her each day, doctor called each day to check in on her and she was given $150 a day for room service, not allowed to leave the room.

You have the option to stay until you test negative or get a medical evac flight to Florida, we picked the med evac flight. It took two days to get CDC clearance for the med evac flight, was a private jet shared with two other groups of 2, both groups had at least one person positive for COVID. We were scheduled to check out on Monday, she tested positive Sunday night. Med Evac flight was Wednesday morning. My daughter tested negative in Florida Wednesday afternoon, so we stayed in Florida until we could fly back on Friday after 5 days had passed from initial positive test.

I sent my two other kids home and I stayed with my 18 year old daughter. Because we had two rooms (connecting) I was allowed to stay in my original room while my daughter was in the other connecting room. They put me in quarantine as well since I had close contact with my daughter, the room was comp and I was given $150.00 credit a day as well. I was not allowed to leave my room. Since we were supposed to check out in the morning, our keys expired and were not reissued since we were not to leave the room. We didn't leave the rooms until time to depart on our med evac flight.

Very pleased with how the hotel took care of us after my daughter tested positive. Hotel manager was our primary contact once she tested positive. No issues with food or keeping rooms. Was nice to have the doctor call every day checking in on my daughter, even though she had no symptoms. Had to provide additional documentation for the med evac flight, but was easy to do. The Baha Mar program is much better than the general Bahamas insurance program, which we didn't apply for.
svo242 and levilevi like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:54 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
My daughter tested positive for COVID the night before we were to return to US. Part of the program, you test the night before you return home. She was the only one to test positive of the 4 of us.

They quarantined her in her room, tested her each day, doctor called each day to check in on her and she was given $150 a day for room service, not allowed to leave the room.

You have the option to stay until you test negative or get a medical evac flight to Florida, we picked the med evac flight. It took two days to get CDC clearance for the med evac flight, was a private jet shared with two other groups of 2, both groups had at least one person positive for COVID. We were scheduled to check out on Monday, she tested positive Sunday night. Med Evac flight was Wednesday morning. My daughter tested negative in Florida Wednesday afternoon, so we stayed in Florida until we could fly back on Friday after 5 days had passed from initial positive test.

I sent my two other kids home and I stayed with my 18 year old daughter. Because we had two rooms (connecting) I was allowed to stay in my original room while my daughter was in the other connecting room. They put me in quarantine as well since I had close contact with my daughter, the room was comp and I was given $150.00 credit a day as well. I was not allowed to leave my room. Since we were supposed to check out in the morning, our keys expired and were not reissued since we were not to leave the room. We didn't leave the rooms until time to depart on our med evac flight.

Very pleased with how the hotel took care of us after my daughter tested positive. Hotel manager was our primary contact once she tested positive. No issues with food or keeping rooms. Was nice to have the doctor call every day checking in on my daughter, even though she had no symptoms. Had to provide additional documentation for the med evac flight, but was easy to do. The Baha Mar program is much better than the general Bahamas insurance program, which we didn't apply for.
That is unfortunate, but good to hear you were treated well by the hotel!
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.

Thanks so much for posting this review and data point. I went last year in part, on their worry free offer that you describe. I was traveling with my 3 kids and if one of them tested positive we ALL would have had to stay as we couldn't leave them. I always wondered if they would cover all of us so it sounds like yes. That would really be horrible to stay stuck in the room. I wondered how they would police that as I imagine they would have a lot of people just want to go on the beach and not go by anyone but sounds like they would prevent that.

We opted to skip Bahamas this year. Even with free food and room we wouldn't want to be trapped inside the room for possibly days.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Just returned from trip 6 to the Hyatt. I still struggle to figure out how Globalist upgrades are dolled out. In the past i've booked the cheapest room and been upgraded to a suite in The Reserve. But i've also booked the most expensive non-suite room and that's what I got at check in. That is what happened again this trip but when I inquired they offered an end unit suite in the west building. I need extra room for work so the small living area was nice but the end unit suites with balconies on the ocean and fountain sides are not the best--very odd configuration. If I was there for fun I'd opt for a balcony ocean view king over that suite. Also, it was on floor 8, just above the sidewalk so early AM hustle and bustle was very loud.

Breakfast in the buffet was good. I think it was a lateral move from 3Tides. It's a much quicker experience. Service was great. No outside seating (unless it was closed and I missed it) but tons of choices. You are not allowed to serve yourself anything, from salsa to bacon--you need to wait and ask an attendant for whatever you want. Smoothie bar and 2 omelet stations covered it for me.

As usual Globalists still get 2 drinks per coupon, one coupon per night. I tried to email the guest experience manager while in-stay to discuss an upcoming reservation. This was the contact on the Globalist letter you get at check in that says "contact us with anything you need." I received an auto reply that she was out but to write to a different person---who never contacted me back. Not the end of the world, but a but disorganized and inconvenient.

Overall the hotel was not very crowded last week. Easy to get restaurant reservations (vs the summer when there were lines everywhere). There are still a lot of people roaming around without masks and the hotel does not do much to enforce the rules. Be prepared If you are a mask-person. The 24 hour pre-flight test was a breeze. Doctors Hospital has it down (soooo much easier getting a test to come home than to go to The Bahamas). I realize it's rolling the dice but 3 hours in advance at the airport would have been miserable. I was there 1:30 in advance again and ended up sitting around for an hour. Medium crowds + global entry + the addition of precheck at NAS=quicker movement through the system!

Travel safe y'all!

Last edited by Dcislander; Jan 25, 2022 at 9:30 am Reason: spelling error
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:50 pm

Is the med evac flight only to Florida or are there other points along the east coast you could choose? What was the cost of the program? Also, and this is more out of curiosity, was CBP done in Bahamas or upon landing in Florida?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:06 pm

Not possible to book a room for 2 adults and 2 kids

I can't seem to book a room for 2 adults and 2 kids? Only can book it for 2 adults. I tried to use my globalist upgrade but they said they don't have any suites to upgrade right now. Any pointers?

They have suites, but I dont see any language on it being a standard suite for upgrade. How likely is it to be upgraded as a globalist here? During spring break time in April.

Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
This hotel is actually the combination of what was originally supposed to be multiple hotels/owner units. The development of the property was a financial mess. The end result is a mish-mosh of suites ranging from poorly configured rooms with odd entrances to units with fully equipped kitchens and washer/dryers and then a usually stylish Hyatt suite that you would expect. It's a huge range. Globalist here, and after 6 stays I've seen all of these via upgrade--never automatic ,always had to ask for one. I would rather have had the king room with ocean view balcony that I booked vs the low floor e/w view suite I received last trip. I was told that this was a standard suite, but I was told the same for the other suites... so who knows.

I was considering booking a family trip but all suites are listed as Max of 3 occupants. I was told by a rep that the 4 person rooms are 2x queens or the 1k/2Q 2 room bookings. Not sure why the suites are max 3 as they are spacious and can easily accommodate a roll away. Further up in the thread I think someone had said that he spoke with the hotel and they told him he could bring in a roll-away to accommodate 4.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dcislander
This hotel is actually the combination of what was originally supposed to be multiple hotels/owner units. The development of the property was a financial mess. The end result is a mish-mosh of suites ranging from poorly configured rooms with odd entrances to units with fully equipped kitchens and washer/dryers and then a usually stylish Hyatt suite that you would expect. It's a huge range. Globalist here, and after 6 stays I've seen all of these via upgrade--never automatic ,always had to ask for one. I would rather have had the king room with ocean view balcony that I booked vs the low floor e/w view suite I received last trip. I was told that this was a standard suite, but I was told the same for the other suites... so who knows.

I was considering booking a family trip but all suites are listed as Max of 3 occupants. I was told by a rep that the 4 person rooms are 2x queens or the 1k/2Q 2 room bookings. Not sure why the suites are max 3 as they are spacious and can easily accommodate a roll away. Further up in the thread I think someone had said that he spoke with the hotel and they told him he could bring in a roll-away to accommodate 4.
I mean I have 3 young kids (8-10) and we have stayed in a suite on 2 trips (Christmas 2021 most recent), with two rollaways in there + sheets on the couch. Never had a problem. When I booked the room I think I only had two guests on the reservation.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by TommyboyCAN
I mean I have 3 young kids (8-10) and we have stayed in a suite on 2 trips (Christmas 2021 most recent), with two rollaways in there + sheets on the couch. Never had a problem. When I booked the room I think I only had two guests on the reservation.
Thanks for the heads up! Tommy and DCislander. I'll be heading out of DCA also.

Any tips on using the suite upgrade certificate? How early did you apply your certificate to your room? Will rooms open up later to use these upgrades? I see suites, but not the standard grand suites available during Apr 6-13. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:17 am

Was looking to make a points stay for December, until I saw this cancelation policy:

Deposit Policy
Credit Card Deposit Required 5 NIGHT(S) DEPOSIT WILL BE CHARGED TO CREDIT CARD
Cancellation Policy
Non-Refundable/ 100 Prcnt Deposit At Booking

That's insane - how could anyone ever agree to that? I have never seen such a strict policy at a Hyatt anywhere before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.