Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Baha Mar - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Morpheus4356
It seems like quite the opposite. The rooms are priced cheaply, but the sticker shock comes as a surprise after you arrive at the resort. There is no way I would have known that a bottle of water at a sit down restaurant costs $17 if I had not read the review written here. I knew the food was somewhat expensive, but I had no idea it was that obscene. If you wanted to attract a more "well-moneyed" crowd you would price the rooms higher to begin with and not have to make up the difference by overcharging for food.

It seems like Saint (the person who wrote the review) was also caught off-guard by the high prices so he spent his entire trip adapting to minimizing his costs while he was there. Stuffing himself with the free unlimited globalist breakfast, stocking up on snacks at the VIP lounge, sampling free ice cream every day at 3:30 - 4:00pm, and bringing his own bottled water to dinner. Can you imagine being on vacation and bringing your own bottled water to dinner? Sigh....
The rooms pre-COVID I saw sometimes for double of what they are going for now sometimes. I'm not sure what they typically are. I always "stuff myself" during breakfast. Ha, ha. That's nothing new and I didn't eat more or less because the rest of the food was expensive. As mentioned, I would go down to stop at the Club before dinner as it was on our way anyway. We'd have to go down to the lobby so we'd stop by and my wife and I would have a glass of wine/champagne and then go to dinner. Vincent was the one that told us to bring the bottled waters to dinner and I feel no shame in that. Actually, there were a LOT of people at the restaurants that would bring their own bottled water in. And as far as the ice cream. If we didn't have young kids we wouldn't have but do you have kids? No reason not to stop by if you have kids. I pointed this out to share information.

But glad the point got across that food prices are expensive for what you get. And if you look at TripAdvisor reviews on the hotel, just about every person mentions this. I think I even saw one of the menu prices somewhere before the trip but it's misleading as they don't include the 12% VAT tax on it. Also, I thought food portion sizes were fairly small so it seemed like we were also ordering more food as well which maybe compounded the costs. I always tip at least 15% anyway so that part wasn't new or unique but I think what irked me was that in most of the restaurants and even by the pool the service was meh to bad. You'd think that the employees would be happy to see tourists and to be fair some did seem happy but overall the service was fairly bad. Since every single bill already has the 15% tip on it, it seemed like service was bad and they could care less.

Originally Posted by yelldawg
Okay group, help me form a strategy...

I've been to GH Baha Mar twice before, once with family and once without. I will be returning without family for a scuba trip. Overall I have always enjoyed it very much, but I tend to think of it as a Las Vegas strip hotel in the Caribbean.

When I traveled with family, I applied a suite upgrade and was given a one bedroom residence. Amazing stay. When I traveled without, I did not apply an upgrade, and was given a globalist upgrade to a standard king suite, which severely disappointed. The standard suite was poorly positioned with views of parking lots as much as the ocean, and the room itself wasn't really any nicer than the standard rooms (basically just had a bigger foyer area with a very small sitting area).

I'd love to see an upgrade again to the reserve / one bedroom residence. But I dont want a general suite otherwise. My concierge has never been of use to me (I drew a short straw). Do I use the upgrade and hope that better positions me for a residence upgrade? Anyone else with data points to fill in the success rate of globalists getting the reserve? I'm sure it all comes down to capacity and optimizing the house. Thoughts?
yelldawg,

I travel quite a bit as a Globalist and my thought process is if you absolutely want to be in a suite then use one of your certificates. The hotel was really dead so I'd think your chances of getting a nice upgrade are pretty high. But with all the hassles of taking so many tests (even with that insurance promotion to stay free if you test positive), I think keeps most people away and probably will until they allow vaccinated people to come freely.

Last edited by saint; Apr 28, 2021 at 1:43 pm
Old Apr 28, 2021, 1:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Restaurants menu including prices are online.
https://bahamar.com/culinary/

F&B being expensive is not a Baha Mar-only "problem". You'll find expensive pricing at Atlantis as well. Not sure if it is resort pricing or groceries are just expensive in Bahamas to begin with. That's why there is a line in the morning at the Dunkin Donuts across the street from Atlantis. It's more expensive that US Dunkin but still cheaper to resort offerings.

You'll likely find similar at Aruba as well. Milk is imported from US and runs $7-$8 USD a gallon (non-organic) a couple of years ago.
saint likes this.
Old May 1, 2021, 7:56 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RedSun
The Grand Club is a huge benefit for the stay. Big loss without it.
So is the lounge closed and not accessible as a Globalist perk? My understanding is that you get breakfast at 3 Tides, 2 free drink coupons. Also, do you simply ask for water as a Globalist (as someone else posted)?

Last edited by vdostoi1; May 1, 2021 at 8:03 am
Old May 1, 2021, 8:07 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
So is the lounge closed and not accessible as a Globalist perk? My understanding is that you get breakfast at 3 Tides, 2 free drink coupons. Also, do you simply ask for water as a Globalist (as someone else posted)?
I do not know what the current situation is.

One more negative I do not see folks talk about is the poor construction of the hotel itself. It seems the construction was so rushed. The bed is supposed to sink into the floor frame. But it does not fit 100%. So the bed was not even level. Also, crew dumped some old concrete into the ocean. If you do snorkeling near the beach, you'll see those huge concrete blocks. That is a health hazard too since you could hit the concrete if you are not careful....
Old May 2, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by RedSun
I do not know what the current situation is.

One more negative I do not see folks talk about is the poor construction of the hotel itself. It seems the construction was so rushed. The bed is supposed to sink into the floor frame. But it does not fit 100%. So the bed was not even level. Also, crew dumped some old concrete into the ocean. If you do snorkeling near the beach, you'll see those huge concrete blocks. That is a health hazard too since you could hit the concrete if you are not careful....
Called the hotel and confirmed that the lounge is closed and Globalist members receive breakfast at 3 Tides. No mention of the two free drink coupons that someone else indicated are being provided
RedSun likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:57 am

It seems that the stay can be decent if you're upgraded to the "Reserve" / "Residence" towers? Can anyone provide me with the email of the assistant to the GM? I'm planning on booking next week and I want to know what are the chances of being upgraded to the reserve tower. If it is nil (even using a DSU) I may think if I go here, Grand Reserve PR or Aruba.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nas6034
It seems that the stay can be decent if you're upgraded to the "Reserve" / "Residence" towers? Can anyone provide me with the email of the assistant to the GM? I'm planning on booking next week and I want to know what are the chances of being upgraded to the reserve tower. If it is nil (even using a DSU) I may think if I go here, Grand Reserve PR or Aruba.
Not sure what your expectations are but it's good property even if not upgraded. While it's been a number of years since I've been to Hyatt Aruba, IMO Baha Mar facilities is better than Aruba.
Old May 4, 2021, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Not sure what your expectations are but it's good property even if not upgraded. While it's been a number of years since I've been to Hyatt Aruba, IMO Baha Mar facilities is better than Aruba.
That's fair. I already have the GR Hyatt PR booked at 12k rate and I could burn a cat 1-4 cert vs here i'd have to outlay another 8k/night. Is it worth the additional 8k/night? Too bad I'd be too early for the opening of the new waterpark in July.

Originally Posted by saint
Thanks. I read on TripAdvisor the GM said "elites have some benefits". I emailed my concierge but she didn't get back yet. Major bummer the Club Lounge is closed as I heard it was really great with lots of snacks and drinks throughout the day. I don't get there until next week but I got a welcome email from Tavara (Assistant to the GM) welcoming me. I asked her and she wrote, "Also, in addition to daily breakfast at 3 Tides, as our valued Globalists we waive your Resort Fees and you also will receive vouchers to enjoy complimentary drinks at any of our Grand Hyatt Outlets including: Stix Noodle Bar, T2 Cigar Bar, Drift, Out Island, H2O and The Jazz Bar."

I'm not sure how many complimentary drinks you get but I'll post once I get there.
Would you be able to provide me with the information for Tavara?
Old May 6, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Any recent reports if the waterpark is still on track to be ready in the summer?
Old May 6, 2021, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TommyboyCAN
Any recent reports if the waterpark is still on track to be ready in the summer?
Looks like they did a full on media blitz in the past day or so announcing an opening date of July 2. Looks nice!

https://www.sbe.com/hotels/sls-hotel...-bay-waterpark
TommyboyCAN likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by saint
The rooms pre-COVID I saw sometimes for double of what they are going for now sometimes. I'm not sure what they typically are. I always "stuff myself" during breakfast. Ha, ha. That's nothing new and I didn't eat more or less because the rest of the food was expensive. As mentioned, I would go down to stop at the Club before dinner as it was on our way anyway. We'd have to go down to the lobby so we'd stop by and my wife and I would have a glass of wine/champagne and then go to dinner. Vincent was the one that told us to bring the bottled waters to dinner and I feel no shame in that. Actually, there were a LOT of people at the restaurants that would bring their own bottled water in. And as far as the ice cream. If we didn't have young kids we wouldn't have but do you have kids? No reason not to stop by if you have kids. I pointed this out to share information.

But glad the point got across that food prices are expensive for what you get. And if you look at TripAdvisor reviews on the hotel, just about every person mentions this. I think I even saw one of the menu prices somewhere before the trip but it's misleading as they don't include the 12% VAT tax on it. Also, I thought food portion sizes were fairly small so it seemed like we were also ordering more food as well which maybe compounded the costs. I always tip at least 15% anyway so that part wasn't new or unique but I think what irked me was that in most of the restaurants and even by the pool the service was meh to bad. You'd think that the employees would be happy to see tourists and to be fair some did seem happy but overall the service was fairly bad. Since every single bill already has the 15% tip on it, it seemed like service was bad and they could care less.
I didn’t mean to shame you, I would be doing the same thing you did, rather than resort to paying $17 for a bottle of water. Mediocre club lounge food is one of my favorite travel perks and free food always tastes better than food you pay for.

I’m glad you enjoyed your trip, it seems like everything except for the food / service was spot on!
Old May 6, 2021, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Restaurants menu including prices are online.
https://bahamar.com/culinary/

F&B being expensive is not a Baha Mar-only "problem". You'll find expensive pricing at Atlantis as well. Not sure if it is resort pricing or groceries are just expensive in Bahamas to begin with. That's why there is a line in the morning at the Dunkin Donuts across the street from Atlantis. It's more expensive that US Dunkin but still cheaper to resort offerings.

You'll likely find similar at Aruba as well. Milk is imported from US and runs $7-$8 USD a gallon (non-organic) a couple of years ago.
Aruba is probably one of the most affordable Caribbean island I’ve been to in terms of food choices. You can spend as little as $30 or $40 on a sit down lunch or dinner for two and eat pretty well. It’s one of the only islands where going all inclusive doesn’t make any sense since restaurants are so reasonable.
Old May 27, 2021, 3:05 pm

Does anyone know if you get base points for all of the expensive food and drink on property? Also do you get base points for golfing at Bahamar? Due to the reduction in qualification requirements, I may be close to Globalist this year and $2000 in food/activity spend would put me over the top.
Old May 27, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Only the Hyatt operated venues. Which includes nearly all the pool F&B outlets. But expect zero if you ask for and are charged for a rollaway bed. Not sure about golf.

Originally Posted by ploo
Does anyone know if you get base points for all of the expensive food and drink on property? Also do you get base points for golfing at Bahamar? Due to the reduction in qualification requirements, I may be close to Globalist this year and $2000 in food/activity spend would put me over the top.
seawolf likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ploo
Golf is not eligible spend. As the other poster said just the Hyatt outlets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.