Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEATTLE - Grand or Olive 8 ??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: CO Plat, Hyatt Plat
I stayed at the 8 in June and loved it....very hip, cool and modern. I will certainly stay at the 8, next time I'm in SEA.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by performancefitness
Shopping package and gift card?? do tell !!!
As others have asked - what did you decide after being given all of this information?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IC, FPC, CO & UA dirt, 1K wannabe
Originally Posted by performancefitness
Shopping package and gift card?? do tell !!!
From the hotel webpage:

No kid looks forward to summer’s end. Make the back-to-school transition easier to bear with a fabulous summer sendoff shopping spree. Shop for new clothes and school supplies with a $50 gift card to Pacific Place, as well as an 10% discount Shopping Pass to Macy’s. After hitting the stores, relax with Deluxe King Room accommodations, a free in-room movie, and complimentary valet parking.

This special offer includes:

Overnight accommodations in a Deluxe King Room
Valet parking daily
One in-room movie per stay
One $50 Pacific Place gift card
Macy's 10% discount Shopping Pass

The terms and conditions say that this expires 10/31/10, but I was able to book it for 11/12. My confirmation shows the above extras included under the rate information, and has the added dates of 11/8 to 12/30...

Click on the "Back to School" offer on the hotel webpage, or use code 3905 in the corporate/group code box.

After using trial and error on trying to find a cheap night for rates, I found that I was able to use Travelocity's flexible dates tab to find when rates were lower.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
I second the comment that the staff at the Olive 8 leave a lot to be desired
Old Oct 13, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by erasmus99
I second the comment that the staff at the Olive 8 leave a lot to be desired
It really does depend on who you get. I had 2 stays there last week, along with 2 stays at the GH. One time at Olive, I had a woman at check-in who was simply terrific. I'm sorry I didn't get her name to write the GM noting it. She checked on my G3 and made sure it was there without my asking, filled me in on free internet and breakfast deal, that, apparently, up to 4 people can be covered on the one coupon, and such. The other time I checked in, wasn't as smooth.

I've never really asked the concierges for much, but they've always been knowledgeable and helpful with directions, buses, etc.

Some of the wait staff at the restaurant are terrific, refilling without being obtrusive, others never came around to refill coffee, juice, etc.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
From my experience the staff at the Grand Hyatt are just top notch. I've stayed at very few hotels where I remember how great the staff are.

Olive 8 are ok, but nothing like the Grand.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by bworrell
From my experience the staff at the Grand Hyatt are just top notch. I've stayed at very few hotels where I remember how great the staff are.

Olive 8 are ok, but nothing like the Grand.
Good Day:

Starting with the grand opening of the Hyatt at Olive 8 most of the front desk staff/management came from the Grand Hyatt across the street.

Unfortunately most of the managerial original team was promoted and left to go to other Hyatt Hotels ( John Paul- Philadelphia, Claudia- Bellevue WA) or changed plans ( Lara).

The new team (Joey- Front Office Manager and Troy- Night Manager) has done a good job for me athough other new team members are still learning and in truth I have experienced some small issues from time to time.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I wish people would stop saying the GH is "across the street" from the Olive8. Very misleading if one has never been to either. The two hotels are indeed within a city block of each other but "across the street and the corner" not just "across the street".
Old Oct 18, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Just did a 3-night points stay at the GH. Upgraded to nice suite on 27th floor. The GC ran smoothly, with the exception of two Sunday morning guests who acted as though they were at a Country Buffet rather than a GC (seriously, must you take ALL of the fruit as soon as the bowl is set down?). Evening wine is a bargain at this location--you'll be amazed at how full they pour a glass. Very nice health club at this location, too.

We did walk over to Olive 8 for dinner at Urbane one night, and were instantly glad we were staying at the GH. Didn't look at the lobby too much, but the restaurant played loud, night club type music the entire time. That is a plus for some, but not so much for us. The small plates we ordered were quite good.

Quick question: is there a way to tip the GC host/hostesses in the morning? When ordering wine in the evening, there is a spot to add a tip on your card, but nothing is charged to the room in the morning, and the two young ladies were certainly deserving of a gratuity of some sort.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:33 pm

Anyone know why both the GH and O8 are unavailable in most weekends in September? I mean...really? I tried the first weekend...unavailable...the weekend of the 22nd...nope...the 29th..the GH is gone and the O8 is available. Never had so much trouble finding a Hyatt in SEA.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:02 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by antonius66
Anyone know why both the GH and O8 are unavailable in most weekends in September? I mean...really? I tried the first weekend...unavailable...the weekend of the 22nd...nope...the 29th..the GH is gone and the O8 is available. Never had so much trouble finding a Hyatt in SEA.
There have been many large conferences as of late and September is also Seafair and other festivals. If you find a room you may want to book it (you can always cancel). Last week all hotels were sold out (I had to leave Seattle and come back 3 days later due to there not being any rooms available). You can also use the Diamond guarantee but realize you'll be paying RACK rate.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Bumping this old thread rather than starting a new one....

Anyone have any opinions for a Diamond on a leisure trip in March between the two hotels? I've not stayed at either. Not sure if either hotel has undergone any upgrades since 2010.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by austin_modern
Bumping this old thread rather than starting a new one....

Anyone have any opinions for a Diamond on a leisure trip in March between the two hotels? I've not stayed at either. Not sure if either hotel has undergone any upgrades since 2010.
I spoke with someone who worked at the Grand and she told me they just remodeled the lounge. I did not ask if there were other upgrades.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, QF Platinum
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
I spoke with someone who worked at the Grand and she told me they just remodeled the lounge. I did not ask if there were other upgrades.
I will be staying at the Grand next week and will report back regarding any changes, upgrades (previous stay there was a few years back)
Old Nov 20, 2014, 8:00 pm
In memoriam

I lived between both of them for many months this year. I would choose the Olive 8 each time. The rooms are nicer, the pool and spa are lovely, the breakfast at Urbane is really good (you can order from the menu), and upgrades are easier imo.

Both have a great location. Everything is within walking distance; if you stay at Olive 8 ask for Britney at the front desk - she is lovely! Molly as your server at Urbane Feel free to PM me if you need further information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.