Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Can we get some more Park Hyatts please?!

Can we get some more Park Hyatts please?!

Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by mikeyyz
The PH Zurich is really a wonderful properly... not GH-like at all IMHO. Definitely way above typical Swiss standards - as nice as the PH DC in my books and far better than any GH I've ever stayed in.
it is a wonderful ptty indeed .......but lacks a certain something......i like to compare it to the GH Berlin ......

if only Baur au Lac can become a PH [ and add a pool ] and the Dolder Grand becomes a PH resort...[ i am sure i have wished it somewhere before]...THAT would be perfect.........

the swiss hoteliers would cry foul of course.....

@:-)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
in Asia - cites crying out for a PH are Hong Kong , Bangkok , Taipei and Singapore
I don`t think that Park Hyatt properties would make a lot of sense in these cities. Hyatt already has those cities well covered by larger upscale Grand Hyatt properties, some of which might be considered near-luxury properties at club room and suite levels.

Particularly in Bangkok and Hong Kong, entering the market at the luxury level would mean trying to compete with some of the finest Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Four Seasons hotels in the world; out of which several are even flagship properties.

In Asia, Park Hyatt has been very successful by targeting cities without that kind of competition at the luxury level. In cities where PH cannot compete, Hyatt has been wise to focus on the "four star plus" upscale GH properties.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I don`t think that Park Hyatt properties would make a lot of sense in these cities. Hyatt already has those cities well covered by larger upscale Grand Hyatt properties, some of which might be considered near-luxury properties at club room and suite levels.

Particularly in Bangkok and Hong Kong, entering the market at the luxury level would mean trying to compete with some of the finest Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, and Four Seasons hotels in the world; out of which several are even flagship properties.

In Asia, Park Hyatt has been very successful by targeting cities without that kind of competition at the luxury level. In cities where PH cannot compete, Hyatt has been wise to focus on the "four star plus" upscale GH properties.
Sorry,

but Hyatt International does not compete in the four star plus segment

The only Hyatt International property that used to have four stars was the Regency CDG, but that was due to local rating regulations.

Sooner or later, we will certainly see a Park Hyatt in all major Asian cities and quite frankly, why should Hyatt care about the competition ? They are almost playing at the same level, however a Park Hyatt is simply more subtle and not as much bling bling as the competition. Who needs a golden Rolls Royce when you can have a stylish Audi A8...

As pointed out numerous times already, they had more than 100 projects in the pipeline and Hyatt International has a strong focus on Russia and Asis, so we will see new properties opening at a certain point in time. The economics of the small real luxury hotel industry are difficult and especially small really upscale hotels are heavily dependant on their room rate. A 20-30% lower Revpar and the business case is a bucket case....and some properties like the Park Dubai had to reduce their services already, still 5*+, but not 5 *++ anymore...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:02 am
Suspended

it is a wonderful ptty indeed .......but lacks a certain something......i like to compare it to the GH Berlin ......

if only Baur au Lac can become a PH [ and add a pool ] and the Dolder Grand becomes a PH resort...[ i am sure i have wished it somewhere before]...THAT would be perfect.........
The Grand Berlin and Park Zurich are comparable to a certain agree, same mindset behind the properties, when it comes to certain design concepts, I would call it the late 1990's, early 2000's Hyatt International concept.

The Park Zurich is certainly more upscale and outperformed the above mentioned Dolder Grand and Baur au Lac on several occasions and in certain ratings. All are very good hotels that cater to a different clientel.

For guests who do not understand the Park Hyatt ideology, 'high expectation' stays at the properties in Milan, Paris or Zurich are probably difficult.

A 12 cylinder engine can either scream like crazy or run smoothly with hardly any vibrations and noise...
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
Sorry,

but Hyatt International does not compete in the four star plus segment

The only Hyatt International property that used to have four stars was the Regency CDG, but that was due to local rating regulations.
What? Many international Hyatt properties would be very lucky to be considered four star properties by Mobil or AAA standards. I also do not know what you are referring to when you say 5*+ or 5*++, as there are no such ratings.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:15 am

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt

I, for one, won't stay at GH or HR. So my hotel choice at HKG, BKK, SIN, TPE is definitely not GH, unless there is a PH.

I'm sort of new to this game, but after having stayed at a few Hyatts, I conclude that only PH satisfies my taste. Absolutely hate the club floor and lounges. Just give me good service and a nice view, I would be happy. I don't need any freebie snacks!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 9:53 am
Suspended

What? Many international Hyatt properties would be very lucky to be considered four star properties by Mobil or AAA standards. I also do not know what you are referring to when you say 5*+ or 5*++, as there are no such ratings.
Hyatt International has a very straight forward approach, all hotels are positioned to get the highest amount of stars/points or Diamonds in its respective market ^

In most countries the official categorisation of 5 stars cannot be topped, however many properties are not satisfied with the minimum requirements, hence the more precise rating of 5*+ or even more detailed.

The Diamond rating system by the AAA is more or less only useful in the US, while Mobil stands for even more demanding criteria in the US.

Hyatt did not operate a AAA 5 Diamond or Mobil 5* property in the US, before the FS Aviara changed flag. The Aviara received a AAA 5 Diamond in the past.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Definitely a need in San Francisco as well as other key locations on the West coast and Hawaii.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:07 pm

For guests who do not understand the Park Hyatt ideology, 'high expectation' stays at the properties in Milan, Paris or Zurich are probably difficult.

PRAY enlighten me and others not familiar with the Park Hyatt IDEOLOGY ....so my stays at the PH Milan, Paris & Zurich [ all 3 i have had the pleasure to stay multiple times before ]...can be further enhanced....and expectations more tempered ....I imagine this would also help me with my upcoming stay the macka palas ......

same also apply i guess to my stays at PH Shanghai, Beijing Tokyo & Seoul { all of which have had multiple return stays ]...or is the IDEOLOGY different in these locations ...

Last edited by bearbrick; Sep 11, 2010 at 12:12 pm
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:21 pm

you forget the HR XIAN and the recently relinquished ARYADUTA in Jakarta and recently already closed for renovations Tianjin.... all at best very good 4 star low end 5 star level SHERATON / crowne plaza type properties and also .... HR OSAKA & FUKUOKA and lets face it HR TOKYO too ...barely there 5 stars,,,,,

dont care what the official star ratings is BUT i give these properties barely there 5 stars , a good 4 at best .....
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:30 pm

The Park Zurich is certainly more upscale and outperformed the above mentioned Dolder Grand and Baur au Lac on several occasions and in certain ratings. All are very good hotels that cater to a different clientel.

when referrring to the Baur au Lac and the Dolder Grand i meant that both ought to be reflagged PHs..... .....with the unbeatable location & characteristics of Baur au Lac and the magnificent Dolder Grand as a PH RESORT ....bearing in mind this is a wish list thread.....wishin" and hopin"

* of course the Baur will need to go thro a reno

Last edited by bearbrick; Sep 11, 2010 at 12:36 pm
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:02 pm
Suspended

dont care what the official star ratings is BUT i give these properties barely there 5 stars , a good 4 at best .....
Better leave the rating to the professionals, who visit hundreds of properties a year...

As pointed out, Hyatt International hotels play in the highest category in every market and some PH simply offer a more subtle approach to luxury, less gold, less bling bling, smaller brand logos etc.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
I fully expect to see many more Hyatts in the pipeline over the past 5 years. After going public, they simply have no choice. Ownership can't control growth like they did pre-listing.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by imm2b
Saigon has a Park Hyatt, how about one in Hanoi please...
That would be perfect.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 4:55 pm

you forget the HR XIAN and the recently relinquished ARYADUTA in Jakarta and recently already closed for renovations Tianjin.... all at best very good 4 star low end 5 star level SHERATON / crowne plaza type properties and also .... HR OSAKA & FUKUOKA and lets face it HR TOKYO too ...barely there 5 stars,,,,,

NONE of the hotels you have mentioned are actual 5 star/luxury properties, regardless of what "star ratings" you might personally assign to them.

I am a big fan of several of the better PH properties, but would never choose PH over other true luxury options in cities such as Hong Kong and Bangkok, even if PH properties were to be built- which IMO is quite unlikely to happen in the first place.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 11, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.