Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by chilicat
I just applied online and was approved.
My question is, can I use the two free nights to pay for existing reservations I already have? I have one night booked at the Park Hyatt in Sydney and one at the Hyatt Regency in Auckland. If so, it would be fantastic.
If not, will my reservations be updated to reflect my platinum status (that is one of the perks of the card right?) or do I need to update them myself? Free internet would be nice.
I believe that you will have to re-book those nights as 'award nights' -- once those free nights appear in your Hyatt profile. I don't know how long it will take for your status to be updated, and the free nts to appear in your account. You would not want to cancel those existing 'paid' reservations until you are able to successfully book the 'award' nts!

Once you are able to book the award nts, the status should automatically appear on your reservations, but sometimes there is a lag in the status update being reflected on the individual properties computers!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:24 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm certainly not going to cancel the current reservations until I have the free nights in my account. The trip isn't until mid-November so I should have some time.
Sounds like it's a possibility which is encouraging.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
I just applied for the card and it said they would get back to me in 10 days. I have 3 other cards with chase so I'm expecting something about a credit limit issue also
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Chilicat, U can call GP now to grab the award night availability. Just tell the rep that U R waiting for the 2 Promo Awards. BTW, Sydney is an excellent use because a room costs 22K points or US$650, but Auckland can be had for 8K points or US $145--175 real money. So I would recommend using both freebies in Sydney!

Ddfr, the FFNs always had the "Member's own use only" rule, so I expect these to be the same. The hotels demand ID or at least a CC in that name on check-in, so the only way U could possibly use your relative's is to bring his/her membership card & credit card on your trip to a hotel with a check-in kiosk. Or perhaps reserve 2 nights on your award + 2 on his & ask them to cross-reference the ressies.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by ddfr
Furthermore, I was wondering, if they are not transferrable and we booked a trip with this family member's two nights as part of the reservation, how would anyone really know unless they did a bedcheck!!!!
When you check in, often you will need to explain to the front desk agent that the first 2 nights are under your name and the next two is under so and so's name and have them combine the reservations even if you had this done by a Hyatt phone agent. At that time, the front desk agent may ask for the id of this other person and sometimes not as I checked in recently in Waikiki and they did not ask. YMMV. The risk is that they do ask and when you can't produce the person with id, they do not have to honor that part of the reservation.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2M, ANA Bronze, KrisFlyer Silver, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
If you have too many Chase CCs, credit might not matter at all.

Got denied for too many accounts with Chase, called, cancelled an account and got approved. The detail that has not been mentioned here (unless I missed it): they only pulled my credit report DURING THE CALL (she asked for permission). I.e. they denied me without ever looking at the report. I had three cc accounts with Chase, and good credit.

On a side note, completely agree with:

Originally Posted by hindukid
Not implying the hyatt program is bad. In fact I am implying the opposite. Hyatt awards 5 times as many points for guests as CC spenders. SPG awards two times as many. Hyatt is good for hotels guests and SPG is good for CC spenders.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, former DL Gold
Originally Posted by poptarts
I was approved for the Hyatt credit card but I should have waited. I had planned to earn platinum status later this year. If I had waited to apply when I was platinum, I would have received 2 free suite upgrades.
Where did you see the info about the suite upgrades? Looking at getting this card, but it doesn't do anything for status as I'm already platinum. The suite upgrades would be a nice bonus considering I'm prob not going to make diamond this year.

oops. Nevermind. I got really confused as I read the thread out of order! Sorry!

Last edited by spikyone; Sep 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm
Old Sep 22, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Found this in my email.

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Card
You should expect to receive your Hyatt Card Welcome Kit within the next week. Your welcome kit includes your card(s), credit limit, rewards information and card benefits designed exclusively for Hyatt Gold Passport® members.

Please contact an advisor once your card(s) arrives
To ensure your card(s) arrives safely, we ask you to call and speak to an advisor to confirm receipt. Then, begin using your card to earn more points toward free nights and upgrades at Hyatt® properties.

Enjoy a luxurious suite – yours for two free nights
This special offer is reserved for Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond members, just for using your card the very first time. You're more than welcome to redeem your two free nights in a luxurious suite at Hyatt properties, anywhere in the world.

Now just decide where you want to go. Because the only thing better than welcoming you, is welcoming you back.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:53 am

Using Someone else's free nights

Dear Maholo:

Thanks so much for your note--its very helpful.

If I understood what you were saying I simply might have to pay for the two nights which belong to the family member who would not be present. We are already planning on using the nights (two each) which my wife and I will get.

Has anyone else tried to use overnight certificates when the actual recipient had said you could use them but wasn't actually physically present at the hotel?

Originally Posted by ddfr
Furthermore, I was wondering, if they are not transferrable and we booked a trip with this family member's two nights as part of the reservation, how would anyone really know unless they did a bedcheck!!!!

When you check in, often you will need to explain to the front desk agent that the first 2 nights are under your name and the next two is under so and so's name and have them combine the reservations even if you had this done by a Hyatt phone agent. At that time, the front desk agent may ask for the id of this other person and sometimes not as I checked in recently in Waikiki and they did not ask. YMMV. The risk is that they do ask and when you can't produce the person with id, they do not have to honor that part of the reservation.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
Just got my card (which was sent by UPS) and noticed something that was a bit curious:

As a Visa Signature card, it carries extra benefits (complementary valet parking, upgrade, F&B credit, 3 PM checkout) for a small number of high-end properties, like the PH Chicago and PH DC.

At the risk of sounding greedy, would these stack on the Diamond benefits?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by gmax58
Just got my card (which was sent by UPS) and noticed something that was a bit curious:

As a Visa Signature card, it carries extra benefits (complementary valet parking, upgrade, F&B credit, 3 PM checkout) for a small number of high-end properties, like the PH Chicago and PH DC.

At the risk of sounding greedy, would these stack on the Diamond benefits?
I did not see those in my package, where was it?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:15 pm

[QUOTE=drhoenikker;14751834]Got denied for too many accounts with Chase, called, cancelled an account and got approved. The detail that has not been mentioned here (unless I missed it): they only pulled my credit report DURING THE CALL (she asked for permission). I.e. they denied me without ever looking at the report. I had three cc accounts with Chase, and good credit.

I have 4 accounts with Chase, applied for a Hyatt card, and received a very nice phone call. They said I was excellent cust. and wanted to shift credit limits to have the Hyatt card have 10k. Lowered 2 cards 5k each, and voila, approved.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 1:07 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by indo79
I did not see those in my package, where was it?
I'm pretty sure the reference was to the Visa Signature hotel program-- these rates are available to any US Visa Signature cardholder, but must be booked through the Visa Signature website: www.visasignaturehotels.com.

It's sort of like the Fine Hotels and Resorts program for AMEX Plat and Cent cards, but the benefits are not as good.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
If I am a diamond but my spouse is not and she gets the new Hyatt Credit Card and then adds me as an authorized user, will the two free nights that are awarded to her still be regular rooms or could they be adjusted somehow into two nights in suites since my Diamond account is associated with the second card. Any insight on making this work?

If they are regular rooms and I present my Diamond card at checkin, will the hotel recognize my Diamond status for the stay, especially since I would be staying with my spouse, even though the original reservation is under her non-status name?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Originally Posted by drhoenikker
Got denied for too many accounts with Chase, called, cancelled an account and got approved. The detail that has not been mentioned here (unless I missed it): they only pulled my credit report DURING THE CALL (she asked for permission). I.e. they denied me without ever looking at the report. I had three cc accounts with Chase, and good credit.

On a side note, completely agree with:
I did not get denied but kept calling only to be told, over and over again, that the decision was "pending." Finally asked to speak to someone who could actually find out what was going on.

I explained that I am a Hyatt Diamond, that I have excellent credit, including an AMEX Centurion card, that others have gotten instant approval and that I want to see what the issue is and what, if anything, can be done about it.

Finally, and here's the key, got transferred to Lending and explained the same thing to the woman. She put me on hold for about 2-3 minutes, came back and said the reason it was on hold was that I already have 3 Chase cards. As I started to tell her that she could cancel the Marriott one since, as they can see, it's never used, she interrupted me to tell me the card was approved and with a pretty high limit. That was about 8 days ago. Got the email about the card today telling me to watch out for it.

Very pleased. But I post to let those who are waiting know that it seems the Lending Department is the only one who can actually do something to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.