Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:49 am

Sorry for my ignorance, but there is no way to ask for a Diamond challenge when my only other hotel status is SPG Gold, right?

ETA: Bleh, just realized I posted in the wrong forum....

Last edited by SuperKirby; Aug 13, 2013 at 11:50 am Reason: ETA
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:51 pm

So after applying for the card I called CS and asked them if they could waive the annual fee. The rep said that I wouldn't be charged but was charged anyways. I messaged them online and they asked for a unique code to waive the first annual fee which I don't have and they would not accept the screen shot of the fee being waived. Has anyone tried anything else to get the fee waived? I'm a little upset that I was told it would be waived and it wasn't, and the rep I talked to didn't even notate the account when I called in about the fee waiver.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by jy1129
So after applying for the card I called CS and asked them if they could waive the annual fee. The rep said that I wouldn't be charged but was charged anyways. I messaged them online and they asked for a unique code to waive the first annual fee which I don't have and they would not accept the screen shot of the fee being waived. Has anyone tried anything else to get the fee waived? I'm a little upset that I was told it would be waived and it wasn't, and the rep I talked to didn't even notate the account when I called in about the fee waiver.
I had to threaten to cancel to get my promo applied properly.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by highops
I had to threaten to cancel to get my promo applied properly.
Did you sign up with an invitation code? I've already met the spend requirement and I do want to use the free night vouchers. Did you threaten to cancel over the phone and they escalated your call to their retention department? Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by jy1129
Did you sign up with an invitation code? I've already met the spend requirement and I do want to use the free night vouchers. Did you threaten to cancel over the phone and they escalated your call to their retention department? Thanks for the info!
I was booking a hotel and saw the $100 credit offer that was around for a while.

I probably ranted up thread. It was easy for me to threaten since I'd already used the two hotel nights. I SM'ed and said to cancel it since they had IT problems and didn't believe me about the offer. Someone from Chicago called and asked for proof. I answered that I didn't really have it and didn't want to spend any more time on this anyway. I said that given the free night on the anniversary I'd keep indefinitely with the credit, but that I couldn't feel good about using it without the credit. A courtesy adjustment showed up 2 or 3 days later.

Last edited by highops; Aug 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm Reason: spellin'
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum
Can I still cancel the card if I used my yearly free award night before the annual fee is posted?

My anniversary night for next year just got posted and i am using that right now.. What happens if I cancel the card next week before the annual fee is due?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by pork1781
Can I still cancel the card if I used my yearly free award night before the annual fee is posted?

My anniversary night for next year just got posted and i am using that right now.. What happens if I cancel the card next week before the annual fee is due?

Nothing... you keep the certificate. The fee is for payment in order to use the card for the coming year. The certificate is a "bonus" for having the card for 1 year. One is payment for the future and one is "payment" for the past.

Last edited by pkerr; Aug 26, 2013 at 10:23 am
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Hello, does anyone recall when Platinum status is renewed for the next year?

My current card says that Plat status expires Feb 2014...do you need to still have the CC on Jan 1 in order for Plat status to be renewed until Feb 2015? Or all the way until Mar 2014?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:15 am

So just want to add in a data point. I got the sign up bonus again after applying a year later on the same account! For those who have expiring nights, they will give you a courtesy one month extension

Last edited by starbucksisgood1; Aug 26, 2013 at 12:21 am
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by pkerr
Nothing... you keep the certificate. The fee is for payment in order to use the card for the coming year. the certificate is a "bonus" for having the card for 1 year. One is payment for the future and one is "payment" for the past.
Good point. Good thinking.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by portishead

My current card says that Plat status expires Feb 2014...do you need to still have the CC on Jan 1 in order for Plat status to be renewed until Feb 2015? Or all the way until Mar 2014?
The card I have says I get platinum for as long as I keep the card open. It even says that in the landing page.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by portishead

Did you take the time to read the terms? "Platinum status valid as long as your Hyatt Credit Card is open and not in default and you comply with Hyatt Gold Passport program rules." This means they can cancel your Platinum status the day you close your account, if they want to do so. It doesn't matter which expiry date is printed on your card. Whether and when this happens is anybody's guess. It most certainly won't be after February 28, 2014, if you cancel now.

Question: Why on earth would you cancel your Chase Hyatt Visa card? By having the card, you get a free night EVERY year in a Category 1-4 category and there are some pretty nice hotels in Category 4, like the Hyatt Place in NYC. That alone is worth the annual fee of $75. You will never get the Hyatt Place for that price, even in January!

Plus there is the chip & sign feature and no foreign transaction fees. And lately, Hyatt has been running promos offering me 5,000 Hyatt GP points for $3,000 spend in a quarter (got this promo for Q2 and Q3 in 2013).

These features would make most people want to keep the card, including me. Why do you disagree? Just curious.

Last edited by DCBob; Aug 31, 2013 at 8:50 am
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Question: Why on earth would you cancel your Chase Hyatt Visa card? By having the card, you get a free night EVERY year in a Category 1-4 category and there are some pretty nice hotels in Category 4, like the Hyatt Place in NYC. That alone is worth the annual fee of $75. You will never get the Hyatt Place for that price, even in January!

Plus there is the chip & sign feature and no foreign transaction fees. And lately, Hyatt has been running promos offering me 5,000 Hyatt GP points for $3,000 spend in a quarter (got this promo for Q2 and Q3 in 2013).

These features would make most people want to keep the card, including me. Why do you disagree? Just curious.
I just closed my Hyatt card. To answer your questions:
  • A single cat 4 cert isn't all that useful to me. When I travel to NYC, it's almost always for 2+ nights, so between the need to split between pay/redemption methods and the lack of options (Hyatt Place is the lone cat 4 in Manhattan), I'd just as soon pick the Hilton or Starwood property I want & stay there on points.
  • Chase cards are still apparently churnable, albeit on a slow (2+ years) cycle. I'm happy to come back later & re-earn 2 free-night certs good at any Hyatt hotel, including Park Hyatt & Andaz. (Also, offering to close the card gives me a bargaining chip when applying for other Chase cards, as I'm already close to being maxed-out.)
  • CSP gives me a no-forex option & a way to earn points transferable instantly into my Hyatt account.
  • The Chase United Club card (first year free) gives Hyatt Plat status, assuming you stay often enough for this to be useful.

I have no doubt that keeping the Hyatt card long-term makes sense for a lot of people. For me, the benefits -- real though they be -- are outweighed by the opportunity costs. YMMV.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
Originally Posted by DCBob
Question: Why on earth would you cancel your Chase Hyatt Visa card? Plus there is the chip & sign feature and no foreign transaction fees. And lately, Hyatt has been running promos offering me 5,000 Hyatt GP points for $3,000 spend in a quarter (got this promo for Q2 and Q3 in 2013). These features would make most people want to keep the card, including me. Why do you disagree? Just curious.
No, I didn't look at the T&C b/c actual practice may be different from T&C. I've found that status is automatically processed, and I've never seen it clawed back before...such as Hilton Gold or SPG Gold. Once status is achieved at a certain point in the year, normally after July, it is kept for the rest of the year + 12 months. I believe my Hilton Gold will expire in 2015, since I just got it renewed this year.

I guess each person is different, and there are plenty of reasons to not keep a card. For me, I travel much less than before, so each trip is more special, and relaxed: more nonstop flights, less hotel-hopping. I also wanted to cut down on random expenses...like reload fees and annual fees.

I didn't even use the Cat 4 cert last year, so the rest of the benefits shrink up fast. I didn't travel anywhere with a decent Cat 4 property...if in NYC, it would be difficult to spend the random night at the HP vs. burning pts at the Grand or an Andaz. The closest I came to using the cert was an airport HP, which is close to $75 anyhow.

I do agree that the overall package is very attractive, but for me the benefits overlap with other cards, so I will cancel it in Sept. I wish they gave the option to convert the cert into 15K pts...that way, you can use elsewhere, and it wouldn't expire.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:13 am

I just spent the 1k on my card, how long before I get the awards in my account? 10 business days?

My 2 award nights will be in a suite and I want to use both of them for a 4 night stay in hawaii in december(i'll use chase ur pts for the other nights). I just called in and the rep told me they only had 1 suite night available during my timeframe and that he could hold it for me(I had to put down full deposit-$1,100 with my cc though) and when I got the awards I could just call in and they would transfer over the reservation somehow.

Does this sound right? Will this work or I should say is my suite award night really reserved?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.