Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WASHINGTON DC: Hyatt Choices?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:34 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I'd stay at the two cheapest properties on a series of one-night stays, in order to rack up a bunch of stay credits. However, that solution doesn't fit everyone. I do think that $75 + 4.8K points is a fairly good deal, i.e. you get 2.64 cents per point. It's not the best but it's still good.
Originally Posted by cdancer20
*Bump*. I'm taking my mom and grown sister to DC in a couple of weeks and trying to decide between some hotels. We plan to do all the tourist stuff so would like to be close to the action but also save money. We will be there for a total of 5 days. However, only the Hyatt Regency Crystal City has P+C on Mon/Tues & all other hotels are $250+ so I'm stuck with that option. Note: I am NOT a Diamond so no free breakfast or anything which is a plus for doing a Hyatt Place.

For the first 3 nights, here's my choices:
1 - Hyatt Regency Crystal City - $80/night
2 - Hyatt Place Washington DC / US Capital - $119/night (breakfast)
3 - Hyatt Place Downtown / K Street - $189/night but 4.8k + $75 (P&C w/20% Hyatt points back & breakfast)
4 - Hyatt Regency Washington on Capital Hill - $130/night (BRG)
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I'd stay at the two cheapest properties on a series of one-night stays, in order to rack up a bunch of stay credits. However, that solution doesn't fit everyone. I do think that $75 + 4.8K points is a fairly good deal, i.e. you get 2.64 cents per point. It's not the best but it's still good.
Thanks. I partially thought about that. On the first night, I was going to stay at one hotel, then move somewhere else for 2 nights, and then a last place for 2 nights. However, I'm now enrolled in the Diamond Quick Trial so 12 nights anywhere in 60 days. Don't need any extra stay credits for this year.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cdancer20
*Bump*. I'm taking my mom and grown sister to DC in a couple of weeks and trying to decide between some hotels. We plan to do all the tourist stuff so would like to be close to the action but also save money. We will be there for a total of 5 days. However, only the Hyatt Regency Crystal City has P+C on Mon/Tues & all other hotels are $250+ so I'm stuck with that option. Note: I am NOT a Diamond so no free breakfast or anything which is a plus for doing a Hyatt Place.

For the first 3 nights, here's my choices:
1 - Hyatt Regency Crystal City - $80/night
2 - Hyatt Place Washington DC / US Capital - $119/night (breakfast)
3 - Hyatt Place Downtown / K Street - $189/night but 4.8k + $75 (P&C w/20% Hyatt points back & breakfast)
4 - Hyatt Regency Washington on Capital Hill - $130/night (BRG)
So here's how my situation worked out. I ended up missing out on the $80/night rate at Hyatt Regency Crystal City. It said book at least 7 days before. I went 8 days before and I guess the rate was sold out :-(

However, it worked out even better. I noticed that the Hyatt Place Downtown / K Street had $89/night rates for the first 2 nights. This would give me free breakfast and put me in downtown, i.e. walking distance to everything and no need for uber/metro. The second 2 nights, I did the same hotel on cash and points (6000 pts + $75). The last night, they were sold out so had to move to the Hyatt Regency Crystal City on C+P for same rate. That was fine anyways since it has free shuttle to airport and our flights were leaving at different times of the day. So all in all, a win-win.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:34 am

We are taking the 2 kids to DC during Fall break and will stay at HP K st for 3 nights. The first night it's around $300, so I would use 12k points instead, the rest 2 nights are $118+tax=$135/night, shall I go with 12k points or cash? I'm thinking of paying it, but want to see how you guys take on it?

Hyatt Crystal City is not a lot cheaper, and since HP K st has breakfast and potentially less cab/uber fare to attractions, I would just go with HP K st. Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Old Aug 7, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by marathon15
We are taking the 2 kids to DC during Fall break and will stay at HP K st for 3 nights. The first night it's around $300, so I would use 12k points instead, the rest 2 nights are $118+tax=$135/night, shall I go with 12k points or cash? I'm thinking of paying it, but want to see how you guys take on it?

Hyatt Crystal City is not a lot cheaper, and since HP K st has breakfast and potentially less cab/uber fare to attractions, I would just go with HP K st. Any comments will be appreciated.
Thanks,
On the first part, definitely cash. On the second part - you mention cab/uber. Do keep in mind that the metro is generally the best way to get around DC.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
One thing to keep in mind about the Hyatt Place on K Street (I just finished a stay there).... The rooms are REALLY small... I had to navigate around a support column to get onto the bed which made getting into and out of the king sized bed really awkward... Now the layout may be different with the double beds, but since it's an older building I'm not so sure...

I also have not impressed with any of the Hyatt Place properties in DC at all. If you have a choice, I would go for a regular Hyatt over a Hyatt Place in the DC region. Another possibility might be the Hyatt at the Key Bridge in Arlington, VA. I've stayed at that property numerous times and it's quite comfortable (plus as an added bonus it's right next to the Rosslyn Metro Station).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by LostG8R2002
One thing to keep in mind about the Hyatt Place on K Street (I just finished a stay there).... The rooms are REALLY small... I had to navigate around a support column to get onto the bed which made getting into and out of the king sized bed really awkward... Now the layout may be different with the double beds, but since it's an older building I'm not so sure...

I also have not impressed with any of the Hyatt Place properties in DC at all. If you have a choice, I would go for a regular Hyatt over a Hyatt Place in the DC region. Another possibility might be the Hyatt at the Key Bridge in Arlington, VA. I've stayed at that property numerous times and it's quite comfortable (plus as an added bonus it's right next to the Rosslyn Metro Station).
I stayed at the Hyatt Place K Street in June. I had 2 double beds and I did not find the room to be any smaller than any other hotel. I will say that the "living room" area is smaller than other Hyatt Places but that's a perk since most regular Hyatts don't have that space anyways.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
DC Hyatt Regency Vs Grand Hyatt

I have not stayed at either, but planning an event and booking 11 rooms and wanted to know if any of you recommend one over the other. Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
DC Hyatt Regency Vs Grand Hyatt

Both are nice IMO and I spend quite a bit of time in both. Is location important? The Hyatt is closer to the US Capitol. If you are having a meeting both are good. If I'm you I'd go with whichever property swings you the best deal.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:00 am

DC Area Hyatts

Planning on a short 2 or 3 night stay in the DC area right before Christmas, either Wednesday- Friday or Wednesday to Thursday. I've been Diamond since early spring and can use a DSU.

I always travel with my car so usually I'll pick the more suburb-y area (like Herndon instead of DC, in order to avoid paying for parking, but bc its only 2-3 nights Im going to suck it up and stay in DC.

Im debating between the Grand Hyatt and the Regency. Can anyone, with experience at one or both, share why they'd choose one over the other?

Also is there a more suburban option that would be better? I usually do hyatt House in Herndon, but would like to go nicer this time around, and maybe more full service

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Shuli
Planning on a short 2 or 3 night stay in the DC area right before Christmas, either Wednesday- Friday or Wednesday to Thursday. I've been Diamond since early spring and can use a DSU.

I always travel with my car so usually I'll pick the more suburb-y area (like Herndon instead of DC, in order to avoid paying for parking, but bc its only 2-3 nights Im going to suck it up and stay in DC.

Im debating between the Grand Hyatt and the Regency. Can anyone, with experience at one or both, share why they'd choose one over the other?

Also is there a more suburban option that would be better? I usually do hyatt House in Herndon, but would like to go nicer this time around, and maybe more full service

Thanks in advance
I always recommend the Arlington Hyatt and have put up personal guests there on several occasions. Right across Key Bridge and an easy walk to Georgetown and next to the large Rosslyn Metro Station. Nice hotel with good weekend and holiday rates.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just posted a stay report for the Grand Hyatt:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27000927-post151.html
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Much appreciate the review CMK10, that is one hotel I have wondered about and each time its an option I have ended up at Hyatt Regency Washington Capitol Hill.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:01 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
DC Recommendation ... certs and points?

Dear Friends,

We are looking at doing a mini-vacation before the hubby has a conference in Pentagon City.

I would prefer staying in DC the five nights before the conference.

We both have our annual credit card certificates... and then would use points for the remaining three nights.

What would the experts recommend as the best property to maximize that strategy? Want to be near the attractions.

Thanks in advance.

William
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by wharvey
Dear Friends,

We are looking at doing a mini-vacation before the hubby has a conference in Pentagon City.

I would prefer staying in DC the five nights before the conference.

We both have our annual credit card certificates... and then would use points for the remaining three nights.

What would the experts recommend as the best property to maximize that strategy? Want to be near the attractions.

Thanks in advance.

William
This thread may be of help. WASHINGTON DC: Hyatt Choices?

I love the Park Hyatt, best property hands down. Located East of G'Town and South of Dupont. Lots of great restaurants around.

The Grand Hyatt has been renovated and is very nice. Directly across from the new City Center development. East of the White House and just north of the mall.

The Hyatt regency is located closer to Union Station and the Eastern end of The Mall & Capitol Hill. It's a solid, nothing special Hyatt, but recognize status.

Have you checked the individual master threads? You don't mention budget, time of year, if you'll need a car or be using Public Transport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.