Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WASHINGTON DC: Hyatt Choices?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Thanks for your input. We will be arriving by Amtrak. I'll continue to monitor prices-- however if the rate continues to be double we'll definitely stay at the HR. I could use one of my free Diamond suite upgrades--or chance it and hope for a complimentary upgrade. Since we're very early risers chances are we'll be there when the RC opens in the morning. Sounds like we'll have to cab it to restaurants from this location or eat at the hotel. Prices I checked were for Wednesday arrival in August for five nights.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
I just completed a search for stay August 17-22. These are best prices.
PH 1400.05 all in Senior rate
GH 1493.94 " " " "
HR 769.61 " " " "
744.54 " " Advance Rate
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by derby44
I just completed a search for stay August 17-22. These are best prices.
PH 1400.05 all in Senior rate
GH 1493.94 " " " "
HR 769.61 " " " "
744.54 " " Advance Rate
I'd also vote for HR with those rates - alternatively the PH is not bad - GH is way out of line IMO (perhaps there is some medium sized conference that is taking up a lot of the rooms in a room block).
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by derby44
Sounds like we'll have to cab it to restaurants from this location or eat at the hotel.
There are some Irish pubs within walking distance. I've had dinner at one of those before. Also the Capitol City Brewing Company which you'll pass walking from Union Station to the Hyatt.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-dubliner...pub-washington (had dinner here--read the meal reviews)
http://www.yelp.com/biz/kellys-irish-times-washington
http://www.yelp.com/biz/capitol-city...y-washington-2
Old Mar 10, 2011, 7:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
When the GH in DC has high rates due to a conference -- particularly in the summer -- it also often has availability for much lower prices via Priceline.

Originally Posted by pacific2atlantic
I was a frequent traveler to DC in 2010 (~50+ nights at the hyatt properties).

My corporate rate meant that the PH, GH, and RH were often the same price, so my stay pattern was about 40% PH, 40% GH, 20% HR.

PH
Best free breakfast. They use to let you order in room but towards the end of the year, they said the diamond breakfast was in the dining room only. High quality breakfast. Nice gym. best room and breakfast. Free bottles of Voss water.

GH
Metro center location was extremely convenient. Close to many restaurants in the area (some of my favorites include zatinya and rasika). Lounge is ok for snacks and drinks, nothing to rave about. Rooms were ok...Beds were great, but the rooms themselves were cookie cutter GH rooms.

HR
convenient if arriving via amtrak at union station. lounge is ok, rooms are standard.

if I were spending my own dime, if the prices were significantly different, I would pick HR over GH anyday. Same goes for PH - great hotel, but not worth the premium...
Other than going with the HR over GH -- especially in the dead of winter or summer -- the above is indeed how I would cover them too.

It sounds like the above post is also indicative of having one of the better corporate rates for PH hotels -- or at least for this PH -- and not so stellar a corporate rate for the HR and GH in DC.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 5:17 am

My corporation has the same rate at GH and PH. I'm not a diamond. The GH is only 1 bllock from my office.

Given that is the case, which would u choose?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Washington D.C for a night - PH or GH?

Apologies if this has been discusses before - I had a quick look through the sticky and couldn't find a thread that specifically covered this question.

I'm staying in D.C for a night on a transition to corporate training in Virginia and wanted to have a nice relaxed day seeing the city (have been there a few times before). At the moment the best rate I can find on the website is $260 for the GH and $400 for the PH and I was wondering if anyone could give me some perspective on if the extra $140 a night is worth it for the PH.

I generally prefer PHs and don't mind paying the extra if it is worth it but am a bit concerned about location: I arrive at 2pm and plan on leaving around 3pm the next day so was going to focus on some of the museums around the mall and a walk around the tidal basin and the GH seems more suited to this itinerary. How convenient is the PH location? Does the hotel justify the price gap and location?

Any thoughts/advice welcome.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:02 pm

GH is a little more convenient - it's very easy to hop on the Metro (at Metro Center) and head down to the museums from there. PH is probably about an 8-12 minute walk to the Foggy Bottom Metro. Taking the Metro to the Mall from Foggy Bottom will add about 3 additional stops to your trip. If you take a cab from your hotel to the Mall, it would be a little more expensive from PH than GH but not tremendously so. PH does offer complimentary sedan service for travel within the District, but according to the website, it's only available M-F mornings (7-11 a.m.) and must be scheduled in advance.

I haven't stayed at GH, so can't comment on the rooms, but from the lobby, PH feels a lot more upscale to me than GH. PH is smaller than GH and has a more intimate feel. FYI, PH also is closer to Georgetown, if that is of interest to you. Hope that helps.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 2:16 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
GH is a much more convenient location for visiting the museums and the mall, with easy access to public transport (metro, $1 circular buses), and have a good selection of bars and restaurants around the hotel. The rooms at the GH are very standard regular Hyatt rooms, and do not compare to the more upscale PH rooms. But, personally I don't think the room itself is worth $140 more, and I don't spend much time in the room anyway. Also, the GH has a club for diamonds...and for the convenience and location I would choose the GH.

If you don't mind taking taxis and are more used to the PH ambiance, then the PH is a good choice - it's a beautiful hotel at a quieter location. If you want to use public transport, walk around at night and dine near the hotel, then the GH is good.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 3:19 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
The PH is a truly exceptional hotel. Diamond recognition is amazing.

We had a fight with a taxi driver for charging us extra fees for handling our luggage, when my partner and I placed them in and out of the boot, while he remained at the wheel. The doorman overheard the argument, and walked us to check in and told us that he would deal with it.

In the end we didn't pay for the taxi, the doorman did indeed deal with the situation, and in order to improve our welcome to the city, the hotel sent up a bottle of nice White wine and home made apple pie with vanilla ice cream

The Diamond breakfast is superb, and for one night in the city, I would recommend a memorable stay in a fabulous hotel.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 8:44 am
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
I would agree with the GH over the PH if you want to museum and monument hop. Another option if that is important is the Hyatt Regency Capital Hill, 5 minute walk to Union Station, 10 to the National Mall.

J
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:15 am

I know this isn't one of the things you mentioned, but the Park Hyatt is an easy walking distance to Georgetown.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:09 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I have a one night stay in the DC area at the end of the month before switching to a hotel closer to Dulles, and I would like to use my Plat Extras certificate for a club upgrade at a Hyatt. I need to stay close to DCA, and I'm not considering PH or Regency at Capitol Hill due to price. Which would be the best hotel out of Crystal City, Arlington, or GH to stay at and use my cert? I'm not sure which of these hotels have clubs, or if they are open on weekends. Primarily interested in museum or monument hopping during my stay.

Edit: looks like neither Crystal City nor Arlington have a club lounge, so an Extras cert would provide less value there?

Last edited by aau; Jun 16, 2012 at 7:24 pm Reason: more info
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:25 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The GH is not that close to DCA, not really closer than the PH is. Crystal City is by clearly the most convenient to DCA, but I would tend to agree that you shouldn't use your certificate there. So if distance to DCA is the highest priority, that's your pick.

On the other hand if ease of museum hopping is your highest priority, then pick the GH.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I do not believe CC has a club. In fact, I'm.sure they don't.

GH is not horribly far from DCA, and can be accessed directly via METRO. Club lounge is nice but small.

Stayed here recently. Had a great stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.