Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by mmgm
There are plenty of seats.
I suspect there will soon be plenty of rooms too.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JetAway
I suspect there will soon be plenty of rooms too.
I really doubt that the restaurant move will have a huge impact on the rooms, especially since Globalists get room service.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
So I usually stay at the PH, but since I'm traveling with my in-laws and need two rooms, I was debating on doing the Andaz 5th avenue. They want to do touristy stuff. But this whole thing about the breakfast down at the bar downstairs is disappointing.
Given this, would you guys take the PH over the Andaz now? I'm using pts but there's the 10% back till the end of the month. Although, last time at the PH, my wife and I managed to go over the Globalist breakfast amount.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was there last week and had breakfast downstairs.

The food seemed to be basically the same.

But, man, when I wake up in the morning and am ready to start my day, I want sunshine! I don't want dank dark cellar.

Especially given that a hotel is naturally full of travelers, so people who could have just changed time-zone, you'd think they'd see the importance there.

Morning = sun, in my book.

Next time, I'll just open my shades as wide as possible and do room service.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by krazieman
So I usually stay at the PH, but since I'm traveling with my in-laws and need two rooms, I was debating on doing the Andaz 5th avenue. They want to do touristy stuff. But this whole thing about the breakfast down at the bar downstairs is disappointing.
Given this, would you guys take the PH over the Andaz now? I'm using pts but there's the 10% back till the end of the month. Although, last time at the PH, my wife and I managed to go over the Globalist breakfast amount.
If you can spare the points, I would definitely spend the extra 5000 per room and go for the PH.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I wish I could've used the bar downstairs — It was closed Sundays, and then again over Labor Day. You'd think an Andaz would have a bar that's open on Sundays?

On a related note, what the hell is up with the motion detector lights in the rooms? My living room light in a premium suite turns off if I don't move for a while. This is economy European hotel stuff, not $600+/night NYC hotel material.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never had that experience with the lights, actually.

If I leave, and I forget to hit Master on the way out, I do often come back to the room to find them all off, but that's exactly what's intended, so they work fine for me.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Good lord, it's just so sad what this hotel has become. I've been to many an Andaz and this is by far the most disappointing.

I had to check out in a rush and found that they had charged me for every single breakfast item.

Housekeeping would start knocking on the door at 8 AM at times. After 2 mornings they became aware that I found this unacceptable. The street-front spaces and event space (Apartment 2e) are just sitting empty all the time while the ultra-depressing subterranean den is now the only place to eat or drink — but you don't get the same menu or items as you do with room service, for some reason. Service was incredibly spotty: housekeeping would do a terrible job cleaning and restocking, but room service food was spectacular and always came quick. But then the dishes would sit in the hotel hallway for over a day!

There was at most 1 or 2 hosts which didn't seem eager to help; upon check-in I inquired about a suite and got a sort of 'oh yeah let me check I guess' attitude that was super weird. I never got any explanation about globalist benefits (I really don't need a status acknowledgement, rather they skip the script, but I had no idea what I was entitled to at this property)...

Add the bar just straight up not being open two days in a row, lights that turn themselves off (nobody could give me an answer on what the hell was wrong with them, or had an inclination on how they worked) and general room issues like poor lighting, the hilariously bad touch panel buttons to control the lights and shades with zero feedback, the dressed-down minibar, nearly unusable desk and noisy rooms.

Utterly disappointing, and a real shame with Hyatt's corporate offices being next-door. This should be an example of the brand, not a sad reminder of squandered potential.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:32 pm

I was also there over the holiday weekend, but felt a bit differently and had a great stay. I've stayed at the hotel before, but only 2 or 3 times, hardly a frequent guest. Used a TSU and was upgraded to a Splash Suite, with sparkling wine and macarons delivered on the last night of our stay. Had breakfast delivered twice - we ordered what they said we could (one hot entree, one hot drink, one cold drink per person) and the only thing that showed up on our folio was an odd $1.30 overage (front desk noticed it and took it off at checkout, but we would've just paid for it). We had our do not disturb up until at least 2pm each day (except for breakfast delivery), but never had to request housekeeping or minibar service. Overall, great suite, no complaints, happy we went with the Andaz.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, the Splash Suite is a great room. I had it once (on my first stay, but not since, naturally).

I'm surprised the poster two above didn't get the pre-printed card they give out listing Globalist benefits.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
Good lord, it's just so sad what this hotel has become. I've been to many an Andaz and this is by far the most disappointing.

I had to check out in a rush and found that they had charged me for every single breakfast item.

There was at most 1 or 2 hosts which didn't seem eager to help; upon check-in I inquired about a suite and got a sort of 'oh yeah let me check I guess' attitude that was super weird. I never got any explanation about globalist benefits (I really don't need a status acknowledgement, rather they skip the script, but I had no idea what I was entitled to at this property)...

Add the bar just straight up not being open two days in a row, lights that turn themselves off (nobody could give me an answer on what the hell was wrong with them, or had an inclination on how they worked) and general room issues like poor lighting, the hilariously bad touch panel buttons to control the lights and shades with zero feedback, the dressed-down minibar, nearly unusable desk and noisy rooms.

Utterly disappointing, and a real shame with Hyatt's corporate offices being next-door. This should be an example of the brand, not a sad reminder of squandered potential.
I've hated these forever as well. Definitely aesthetics over function there. They're the worst when you're jetlagged and impatient for some sleep.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I've hated these forever as well. Definitely aesthetics over function there. They're the worst when you're jetlagged and impatient for some sleep.
During my first stay there--also in a Splash Suite--I found that several of those switches were miswired (opposite of the markings) or didn't work at all. It's amazing to me that not only was this not caught during a construction walk-through, but it remained unrepaired for years after the hotel opened.

Maybe I'm just weird (OK, it's a definite), but I will always report this kind of thing on checkout, if not before. Why should future guests have to deal with the same problem over and over?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - repetitive problems at this hotel? How about this one:

Virtually every room I've stayed in has a floppy hand-shower holder. It holds for maybe 30 seconds after you turn the water on, then flops down, spraying whatever is in its path. Sometimes, the handle itself shoots off the bracket. It can be disconcerting.

I did complain the first few times . . .
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
During my first stay there--also in a Splash Suite--I found that several of those switches were miswired (opposite of the markings) or didn't work at all. It's amazing to me that not only was this not caught during a construction walk-through, but it remained unrepaired for years after the hotel opened.

Maybe I'm just weird (OK, it's a definite), but I will always report this kind of thing on checkout, if not before. Why should future guests have to deal with the same problem over and over?
I think studious guests have reported these but the hotel never got around to fixing them. Give me a full switch panel over these glossy sliders any day of the week.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway

I think studious guests have reported these but the hotel never got around to fixing them. Give me a full switch panel over these glossy sliders any day of the week.

Originally Posted by josephstern
OK - repetitive problems at this hotel? How about this one:

Virtually every room I've stayed in has a floppy hand-shower holder. It holds for maybe 30 seconds after you turn the water on, then flops down, spraying whatever is in its path. Sometimes, the handle itself shoots off the bracket. It can be disconcerting.

I did complain the first few times . . .
Wear and tear or just a cheap fixture?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.