Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by GM at Andaz 5th Avenue
Hello Flyertalk friends,

Wishing you all a very Happy Holidays!

There has been much discussion about which suite is used for the Diamond Suite upgrade certificates. I wanted to take a moment to clarify this.

We currently offer either one of the following - an upgrade to an Andaz Large Loft which is an open plan 675 sq foot loft or an Andaz Suite which range in size between 519 and 612 sq feet. The Andaz Suites have only just opened. This is why we only initially offered the Andaz Large Loft. Some guests prefer the 12 foot ceilings and more open plan style of the Large Loft and some prefer the suite with the door between the lounge area and the bedroom. You can make your preference at time of reservation.

The reason why some of you were upgraded further to a Splash Suite was because of a lack of availability of Large Lofts. This was simply 'luck of the draw.' The Splash Suites are not eligible suites for the Diamond Suite upgrade certificates.

I hope this clarifies the matter, Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Warm regards,

Jonathan
Jonathan,

I just applied one of my Diamond suite upgrades to a reservation and was told that Andaz 5th only offers the Andaz Loft as an upgrade. The Andaz Suite is not an option. I even mentioned that you were the one who announced that there were options. It is disappointing that we are told something here and it is not being upheld by your hotel...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by m3m3m3
I just applied one of my Diamond suite upgrades to a reservation and was told that Andaz 5th only offers the Andaz Loft as an upgrade. The Andaz Suite is not an option. I even mentioned that you were the one who announced that there were options. It is disappointing that we are told something here and it is not being upheld by your hotel...

Were you told this by the reservations center, or directly by someone at the property?

Reservations agents are sometimes unaware of property specific things like this, so calling the property directly is probably the best way to get the suite type that you want.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
I made a reservation last week (for May 2011), and used a Diamond suite upgrade...my confirmation email says Andaz Suite...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Were you told this by the reservations center, or directly by someone at the property?

Reservations agents are sometimes unaware of property specific things like this, so calling the property directly is probably the best way to get the suite type that you want.
I called the diamond line to apply the cert. The service agent stated she applied the upgrade and it is confirmed. Then I mentioned to her that I want the Andaz Suite not the Large Loft, as the GM Jonathan mentioned was possible. She went back to call the hotel and she said that the hotel stated that it was based on availability and that they could only confirm the loft.

I just called the hotel and the front desk said they are based on availability and right now I'm in a Large Loft. I told them I could book a Suite online, so it is available. And they said can't give me the Suite. I stated the GM posted online that the hotel is offering either option. He said he will have the GM contact me.

-- I was contacted by the hotel and everything was taken care of. I'm glad they were able to accomodate us.

Last edited by m3m3m3; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:40 am Reason: Updated
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
I made a reservation last week (for May 2011), and used a Diamond suite upgrade...my confirmation email says Andaz Suite...
my email confirmation simply says "Additional Information: DIAMOND STE UPGRADE CONFIRMED"

my "room booked" is still the same room type that I paid for...
Old Jan 14, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by m3m3m3
I just called the hotel and they said they are based on availability and right now I'm in a Loft. I told them I could book a Suite online, so it is available. And they said can't give me the Suite. I stated the GM posted online that the hotel is offering either option. He said he will have the GM contact me.
This is a rip-off. A suite upgrade certificate is (and surely ought to be) for upgrades into suites. A large loft is NOT a suite.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cheerfulflyer
This is a rip-off. A suite upgrade certificate is (and surely ought to be) for upgrades into suites. A large loft is NOT a suite.
I agree completely. A large loft is not a one-bedroom suite, which is what is promised in the Goldpassport official terms & conditions for Diamond suite upgrades.

Also, if they wanted a large loft to be considered a suite, then they should have named it a "loft suite" or something like that. No where in the room description for large loft is the word "suite" used.

Last edited by oc2005; Jan 14, 2011 at 12:20 pm
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:15 pm

Hello,
Does anybody have any experiences with the Andaz Suite? My wife and son are going to NYC (possibly me too) for his 15th birthday, and I want to give them more information about it. They're staying in it using the 6,000 point upgrade with points from my account. I haven't seen anything of the suite anywhere, meaning here, Tripadvisor, or Yelp. Comments on comfortability of the sofa bed would also be appreciated.
Thanks,
MHF (Although I do love my Hyatts)
Old Jan 19, 2011, 8:17 pm

I stayed at this Hotel in December with my wife. Rooms large and comfortable. Definitely would go back. I didn't see the suite, however, I suggest you call them directly. The staff were very helpful.

Last edited by Steadfast; Jan 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm
Old Jan 20, 2011, 3:49 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Originally Posted by oc2005
I agree completely. A large loft is not a one-bedroom suite, which is what is promised in the Goldpassport official terms & conditions for Diamond suite upgrades.

Also, if they wanted a large loft to be considered a suite, then they should have named it a "loft suite" or something like that. No where in the room description for large loft is the word "suite" used.
I used one of my certs earlier this month and was booked into a Large Loft. The room was on floor 12 and the host told me that this floor had just only opened. The room had a living room, a small kitchenette (with microwave, dishwasher, large fridge and a Nespresso coffee maker) and a separate bedroom. I'd definitely call that a suite.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by swiss-mike
I used one of my certs earlier this month and was booked into a Large Loft. The room was on floor 12 and the host told me that this floor had just only opened. The room had a living room, a small kitchenette (with microwave, dishwasher, large fridge and a Nespresso coffee maker) and a separate bedroom. I'd definitely call that a suite.
From what you're saying, it seems you were in an Andaz Suite. How was it?
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: Quite a few...
Originally Posted by MarriottHotelsFan
I'm not sure. The hotel website says:

"Andaz Large Loft
With extra space for sleeping or lounging/working, Tony Chi designed this true, open-plan 483 square foot / 45 square meter loft in our Midtown New York City hotel with 12 foot ceilings, separate sitting area, and large windows overlook either 42nd Street or the landscaped courtyard. In the South Tower, Large Loft rooms include a kitchenette for making yourself feel a bit more at home in the city. The oversized travertine marble bathroom has a walk-in rain shower, Double sinks and amenities from legendary apothecary C.O. Bigelow, with a black porcelain foot bath. Non-alcoholic mini-bar beverages and snacks, wireless Internet, local phone calls, and access to the gym at our Midtown New York hotel are complimentary, and you’ll also find a Geneva Sound System with iPod dock and 42” HDTV. "

Kitchenettes are not mentioned in the Andaz Suite description.
Be it as it may, my stay was excellent.

- I really like the architecture and the style of the hotel, and the layout of the room;
- Everybody was warm and very friendly, and -my impression- genuinely so;
- Great breakfast;

A few things which could be improved:
- Not enough light in the kitchenette/closet area; at nighttime it's really dark there...
- Not enough closet space - I was on my own and already running out of space and hangers, and imagined how it would be with more people in the room...
- The temperature of the water in the shower was changing from hot to lukewarm and even cold, and back all the time (a common problem, and an annoying one, in older properties where there is a problem with water pressure - I am surprised this happens also in a new property)

Still, I will definitely return.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
Yes, it seems to be an Andaz Suite. I am right now here and also in a 12th floor suite.

The hotel:
- has great location
- is quite and the staff is attentive but not annoying. Sometimes you have to push them to refill the minibar or request some missing amenities. They try not to bother guests privacy, so it is understandable.
- gym is good, has the necessary machines
- food is great, specially the breakfast. High quality and good taste.
- the light system is a little bit difficult to manage, but good enough to be comfortable. I guess the design concept is a little bit on the dark side, but works perfectly.
- there is a sofa-bed in the living room, so I guess you can fit 4 people easily. Storage would be an issue.
- shower: we didn't experience problems with pressure or water temperature. Maybe they fixed it. I like the open concept and design of it.
- Wifi is great, good speed and easy to connect, no complicated screens or filters
- the bed is great

I would be definitively coming back! This is a gem in Manhattan (we are/were W guests, but I guess there is no reason to go back).
Old Jan 20, 2011, 6:13 pm

Is the bedroom truly separated with a door and is there like a second TV? Or is it like the Trump Soho suite with a wall halfway between. Any pics? Sorry I'm demanding, it would be nice, however.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
Is the bedroom truly separated with a door and is there like a second TV? Or is it like the Trump Soho suite with a wall halfway between. Any pics? Sorry I'm demanding, it would be nice, however.
The bedroom is separated by a door and the bathroom has access from the bedroom and from the living room (actually entrance hall). There is actually an entrance area, a living room with own 54" TV (where the sofa bed is + a coffee table), then by the living room you have a dining table (can fit 4 adults maybe 5) with a kitchenette and then the door to access the bedroom (with another TV maybe a 42 inch)

Hope it helps

Last edited by atakam; Jan 22, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.