Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
And I would like to know what type of suite is provided when using points for a suite. Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2010, 8:35 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I suspect that most of the folks who find this hotel amazing do not regularly stay in luxury hotels. But, to paraphrase Craig Ferguson, I look forward to receiving your corrections.
Correction coming :-)

The last hotels I've stayed at:
Andaz 5th Ave
Kimpton Palomar Arlington
Hyatt Chesapeake Bay
Westin Restin Heights
Westin Dulles
St. Regis Deer Valley
W Hoboken
Grand Hyatt Cairo
Fairmont Heliopolis, Cairo
Kempinski, Amman
SLS, Beverly Hills
W Seattle
W Westwood

I wouldn't exactly call them 3 star...

I'll say it again. I loved my stay at this Andaz. The only thing I might agree on is the lighting at the bed for reading. But then, I wasn't reading in bed, so I didn't notice the problem. Everything else was just fine with me. I felt well taken care of by the staff.

Another reference point - I know there was a lot of discussion around the Starwood forum about the SLS and it's Luxury Collection designation. Some thought it was too "hip and cool" to be an LC. I think the same is going on with the Andaz.
We'll have to agree to disagree. And to stay at Andaz or at another Hyatt brand.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:22 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slidergirl
Correction coming :-)

The last hotels I've stayed at:
Andaz 5th Ave
Kimpton Palomar Arlington
Hyatt Chesapeake Bay
Westin Restin Heights
Westin Dulles
St. Regis Deer Valley
W Hoboken
Grand Hyatt Cairo
Fairmont Heliopolis, Cairo
Kempinski, Amman
SLS, Beverly Hills
W Seattle
W Westwood

I wouldn't exactly call them 3 star...

I'll say it again. I loved my stay at this Andaz. The only thing I might agree on is the lighting at the bed for reading. But then, I wasn't reading in bed, so I didn't notice the problem. Everything else was just fine with me. I felt well taken care of by the staff.

Another reference point - I know there was a lot of discussion around the Starwood forum about the SLS and it's Luxury Collection designation. Some thought it was too "hip and cool" to be an LC. I think the same is going on with the Andaz.
We'll have to agree to disagree. And to stay at Andaz or at another Hyatt brand.
No, they are not bad hotels. But not one of them is a luxury hotel with the possible exception of the St Regis, Deer Valley, which I am not familiar with (although I was just in Deer Valley a few months back, I didn't see that particular hotel). So rather than disproving my point, you've confirmed it.

I fear I may be taking this thread off topic somewhat -- Peter or Markie, feel free to make changes if you think it appropriate.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Yes the Andaz 5th Avenue would be considered a luxury hotel by the hotel industry standards. When it comes to branding top end hotels, luxury is in the eye of the beholder. What one finds to be luxury another may find to be cold, boring, and BLAH. Believe me I work with many high-end clienteles, booking hotels, airlines, restaurants, venues etc. You learn everyone has different taste.... many times one person's caviar is another person's corn puff. To post on here to tell one someone their definition of luxury is misguided is wrong.

I've worked in hotels and have done site visits since 1986, I have seen the Andaz 5th Avenue, yes it it a Luxury Brand, maybe not to your taste, but to others it maybe. I think the Andaz 5th Avenue thread has really gone off course. The negative views of this hotel have been to put others down who love the hotel, instead of a constructive review of the property.

No, they are not bad hotels. But not one of them is a luxury hotel with the possible exception of the St Regis, Deer Valley, which I am not familiar with (although I was just in Deer Valley a few months back, I didn't see that particular hotel). So rather than disproving my point, you've confirmed it.

I fear I may be taking this thread off topic somewhat -- Peter or Markie, feel free to make changes if you think it appropriate.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:23 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT

While some in the list may be debateable, the SLS and St. Regis are undisputable luxury hotels by definition. I've stayed at some certainly less than par Ritz Carltons (i.e. Phoenix, Charlotte) but while they may not be the most luxurious, they are not any less of a luxury hotel because of that.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 8:58 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
The Andaz is definitely not a luxury hotel - do any of them even provide turndown? They are 'lifestyle' hotels like Kimptons, Ws and JdVs.

It would be wrong to expect the level of care and style at an Andaz that one would get at a luxury property (this is not the Pen nor do they try to be, and if they were providing luxury it would be a heck of a deal at $250 when lux properties are $900). The unfortunate part is that this property is not up to the level of the best lifestyle hotels.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 11, 2010 at 9:29 am
Old Dec 11, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
Originally Posted by l'etoile
The Andaz is definitely not a luxury hotel - do any of them even provide turndown? They are 'lifestyle' hotels like Kimptons, Ws and JdVs.

It would be wrong to expect the level of care and style at an Andaz that one would get at a luxury property (this is not the Pen nor do they try to be). The unfortunate part is that this property is not up to the level of the best lifestyle hotels.
i had 'turndown' service at Andaz 5th ave and WS
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:03 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pclee
i had 'turndown' service at Andaz 5th ave and WS
I suppose I kinda did at 5th Ave since housekeeping sometimes didn't clean the room until 4 or 5 p.m.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
They do come into my rooms at Andaz 5th Ave in the evenings to take out trash and set up the dark-out blind for the window(s). But nothing else was done in terms of the bed, minibar or bathroom.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not everyone. Some of us were treated like you: put into a "large" regular room. The Splash Suite has a tub, I believe it's a jacuzzi. If you didn't have one, you weren't in the suite.

I suspect that most of the folks who find this hotel amazing do not regularly stay in luxury hotels. But, to paraphrase Craig Ferguson, I look forward to receiving your corrections.
The bathrooms in even the regular rooms ("i.e., no tub") are pretty decent even by the standards of luxury hotels that are in the contemporary design category.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
The Andaz is definitely not a luxury hotel - do any of them even provide turndown?
I'll do a longer review later, but am at the Andaz 5th Ave currently and they did indeed do a turndown service last night.

They added a pillow and turned down the bed, and the blackout curtains were down, when we returned for the evening.

No additional waters or chocolates (though complimentary waters and snacks are plentiful already in the room) with turndown service.

But yes, there was turndown.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I just provided that list of my last hotels because the poster asked for correction... Just so you know, you Fairmont in Cairo is indeed a luxury hotel. One of the most opulent places I've ever seen. Butler floor, bathroom to die for, yada yada.

Anyway, yep, there is opulent luxury and there is chic luxury. Just in cars, luxury comes many ways. The Andaz may not be opulent luxurious like the Waldorf Astoria, but it is chic luxury in my mind. I enjoyed my stay there in November, and I would definitely stay there again.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gleff
....They added a pillow and turned down the bed, and the blackout curtains were down, when we returned for the evening....
Do you mean by that comment that they have added blackout curtains? If so, that would be one significant improvement -- on my stay there was just an electric curtain that let significant light in even at night. I did have a room which faced 42nd street, maybe the courtyard rooms are better in that regard.

And again, I don't intend to be sarcastic but anyone who regards the Waldorf-Astoria as a luxury hotel has no idea what luxury hotels are really like.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
Do you mean by that comment that they have added blackout curtains? If so, that would be one significant improvement -- on my stay there was just an electric curtain that let significant light in even at night. I did have a room which faced 42nd street, maybe the courtyard rooms are better in that regard.

And again, I don't intend to be sarcastic but anyone who regards the Waldorf-Astoria as a luxury hotel has no idea what luxury hotels are really like.
i am not sure why we are talking about 'luxury' hotels.
can we focus back to andaz 5th ave?
if you don't like the hotel just write your experience and walk away.
aren't you the ambassador of hyatt?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
These are likely the same, electric curtain that I had no issue with.

Maybe I missed it upthread, but I sure hope you're not talking about me here, the Waldorf=Astoria certainly does not represent a luxury hotel.

And neither does the Andaz 5th Avenue.

It is not the Pen. Or Trump. Or Ritz-Carlton Central Park.

But to me it competes with and beats the Parker Meridiens of the world.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.