Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I've stayed here a couple of times as well and I enjoyed both of my stays. I have to agree that this property is still lacking of consistency, but I'm also confident that they will improve overtime. I had similar doubts about Andaz Wall Street when it first opened, and now it has become one of my favorite NYC hotels.

I think what people should keep in mind is that the Andaz concept is not for everyone.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:52 am

After night one...

Laying in bed this morning after night one, some quick thoughts for things I was worried about after reading a lot of the posts:

1) Light controls - Just touch the item you want, don't swipe (as insturcted by host during tour) - capacitive touch gets confused by the swiping, so just lightly touch what you want.

2) AC controls - it is an Inncom system, this has been solved for, search on FlyerTalk or Bing "Inncom VIP", or simply ask for maitenence, and you will not have issues. 5 simple button presses make this a non-issue.

3) Pillows - Great quality pillows, just somewhat thin. Solved by calling and requesting more, problem solved....

4) Minibar refills - Press host button on the phone, make your request, wait a few moments, retrieve item from the host at your door. p.s. VERY COLD Diet Coke arrived quickly

4) Wear & Tear -we were graciously upgraded to the Splash Suite on 5, and I have to say I see NO wear issues so far, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, and trust me, I have looked top to bottom, still feels and smells brand new.

5) Geneva system - waste for me personally as I do not have a fruity device, would be a very nice experience if I did though....

Overall I have to say a great stay so far, minor host check-in issues, addressed already directly with Jonathon (with thoughts on how to possibly solve moving forward). Great location, staff that is really trying, new concept issues, sure, but nothing that cannot be worked around.

An AFA fan!

Steve
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I've stayed here couple of times and loved the place... agree with comments about service but I stayed in first week or two and expected things would get better, sounds like they haven't. However traveling with kids so either need two rooms or a proper suite. Will see what can be done at Grand Hyatt. At SPG properties no guarantee of upgrade so would need two rooms, gets pricey
I now prefer Hyatt over SPG for that reason - confirmable suite upgrade when really needed. They have one large loft that has a pullout sofa. Maybe the suites on the top floors are also ready by now, some of those have pullout sofas too.

We stayed with two kids and they made this a non-issue for us - provided one rollaway and bedding for the other one to sleep on the (large) sofa which was not a pullout. I would call ahead and arrange with them.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
Stayed at Andaz 5th Avenue for the first time over the weekend.

What a fantastic hotel. Everything, from the staff to the facilities was fantastic. I will never go back to the grand hyatt, and I will be suggesting to my colleagues that they follow my lead.

From check in (where the staff were friendly, pleasant and efficient), through to getting to my room (where the host helpfully showed me the way and then explained everything in the room), the quality of the room (I had a 10th floor room and whil eit overlooked a fairly boring courtyard, I never got any better views at the grand hyatt, even in suites), to the subsequent service, the experience was top notch.

The cellar bar downstairs is great, and the bar staff were really friendly. The gym was state of the art and really well fitted out. Both times I was there I was the only one using the gym, but it was great.

The free mini bar use (ex alcohol) is also a brilliant idea.

The modern design may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was really cool. It's a pity I didn't have more time to check out the restaurant, library area etc.

I will definitely be back.

Well done to management team and the staff - the hotel is a credit to all of you.

cheers
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by sladams1
2) AC controls - it is an Inncom system, this has been solved for, search on FlyerTalk or Bing "Inncom VIP", or simply ask for maitenence, and you will not have issues. 5 simple button presses make this a non-issue.

Overall I have to say a great stay so far, minor host check-in issues, addressed already directly with Jonathon (with thoughts on how to possibly solve moving forward). Great location, staff that is really trying, new concept issues, sure, but nothing that cannot be worked around.
It`s good to know that there is a workaround for the HVAC issue.

To me it sounds like this hotel might prove to be a very good value proposition for Hyatt Diamonds. In the context of a city with very few appealing midrange/upscale hotels- and where spacious accommodation (usually Jr. Suite or above) at true luxury properties can be prohibitively expensive- having the ability to suite upgrade at this property for a standard room rate sounds pretty nice. If I understand correctly a 6,000 point or Diamond confirmed suite upgrade will get us the 73 suqare meter "Splash" suite.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
It`s good to know that there is a workaround for the HVAC issue.

To me it sounds like this hotel might prove to be a very good value proposition for Hyatt Diamonds. In the context of a city with very few appealing midrange/upscale hotels- and where spacious accommodation (usually Jr. Suite or above) at true luxury properties can be prohibitively expensive- having the ability to suite upgrade at this property for a standard room rate sounds pretty nice. If I understand correctly a 6,000 point or Diamond confirmed suite upgrade will get us the 73 suqare meter "Splash" suite.
The workaround didn't work as posted for me, it was the first thing I tried. Maybe I got it wrong. If you read the relevant thread in Travelbuzz, people are reporting that lately the workaround doesn't seem to work in a variety of locations.

When the hotel staff tried their version of the override, it did work on the HVAC, but then stopped working after two days.

Not so sure that a suite upgrade will get you to a splash suite as they are implying that once all rooms are open, they will not be giving splash suite upgrades, but instead to the lower level Andaz suite -- although it's hard to see how something smaller than 73 sqmt can still be a suite.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 1:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Not so sure that a suite upgrade will get you to a splash suite as they are implying that once all rooms are open, they will not be giving splash suite upgrades, but instead to the lower level Andaz suite -- although it's hard to see how something smaller than 73 sqmt can still be a suite.
Suite upgrades are currently booking into "large loft". I emailed a request for clarification on this about a week ago, but haven't heard anything back, which is a touch irritating.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Suite upgrades are currently booking into "large loft". I emailed a request for clarification on this about a week ago, but haven't heard anything back, which is a touch irritating.
That`s too bad, the "large loft" is appears not to be very large at all- just 45 square meters. If this is the upgrade category the property does seem less attractive than I thought it was.

Not hearing back promptly from a property is very irritating. Quite a few times I have bailed out on a reservation and stayed elsewhere because of poor "pre-arrival" service.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 4:06 pm

When I used a confirmed suite upgrade, I was booked into a large loft. I was perfectly happy with it. It is similar to a junior suite at the LPM. It does not have a door between the living room and bedroom, but it is divided with a pathway in between. TV in both the bedroom and living room. Very comfortable sofa (for a hotel suite) and chair in the living room.

It may not work for people who insist on a very large suite with two true rooms, but it was fine for my purposes.

One other comment on upgrades: in my experience, this hotel is particularly stingy and doesn't upgrade for "free" unless you use a confirmed suite upgrade. In close to two dozen stays, only once have a been given anything other than the room type booked (usually a standard room, sometimes a "large").

In some casual conversations with managers at the hotel, they've mentioned that the hotel likes to get a revenue premium for their bigger rooms and not just give them away for free.

I don't stay here for suites (if I wanted suites, I'd go to LPM), but set expectations accordingly.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Question

Originally Posted by BizJet
One other comment on upgrades: in my experience, this hotel is particularly stingy and doesn't upgrade for "free" unless you use a confirmed suite upgrade. In close to two dozen stays, only once have a been given anything other than the room type booked (usually a standard room, sometimes a "large").

In some casual conversations with managers at the hotel, they've mentioned that the hotel likes to get a revenue premium for their bigger rooms and not just give them away (if I wanted suites, I'd go to LPM), but set expectations accordingly.
If that is the case, it would be a violation of the GP terms which guarantee a Diamond the best room available, with the exception of suites. I like this property a lot, but my last check-in was simply horrible and the host stated that I had received the best room in my category, when that is clearly language from the Platinum upgrade terms. They also stated that the hotel was "fully committed" for that night when Hyatt.com showed every room category above Andaz King as available. This reminds me of my experiences at Starwood properties and is not something I would expect from Hyatt. I will be hesitant to return on a paid stay if they don't play by the rules. As others have noted the Andaz Wall Street has no problem with Diamond upgrades.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by sensei
If that is the case, it would be a violation of the GP terms which guarantee a Diamond the best room available, with the exception of suites. I like this property a lot, but my last check-in was simply horrible and the host stated that I had received the best room in my category, when that is clearly language from the Platinum upgrade terms. They also stated that the hotel was "fully committed" for that night when Hyatt.com showed every room category above Andaz King as available. This reminds me of my experiences at Starwood properties and is not something I would expect from Hyatt. I will be hesitant to return on a paid stay if they don't play by the rules. As others have noted the Andaz Wall Street has no problem with Diamond upgrades.
Well actually no... I stayed at Andaz Wall St last week and got just a regular, basic room on 7th floor which is the lowest floor for rooms. I mean nice hotel and all but just pointing out they don't treat DM's any better. Most recent reviews on here suggest same.

Indeed it does seem Andaz is playing the same tricks as the W's. Actually I managed to get upgraded at my last W Lex stay into a nice suite. So the incentives to book here keep going down
Old Nov 30, 2010, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Tablet Hotel (http://www.tablethotels.com) has this property on their Private Sale this week (today - thursday) for dates 12/5 through the end of February 2011. Rates will be posted at 10am, but are generally pretty low. Just a FYI if you're thinking of staying here, although the usual caveat applies: rates are non-qualifying stays.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 12:10 pm

Just checked in...arrived early this morning, but the room(Splash Suite) was not ready, asked if we could have breakfast, host cheerfully said not a problem, after breakfast, took a stroll to Central Park, came back a few hours later and the room was ready. First impressions are very good, friendly host, nice breakfast, though a bit slow, but given the restaurant was almost at full capacity, it wasn't too bad, friendly waitress, unique and spacious suite(for NYC). I'll give the final report once checkout tomorrow.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:48 pm
Company Representative - Andaz 5th Avenue

Great to be back on the forum!

Dear FT friends,

It is wonderful to be back on the forum after a few weeks off-line. I am so thrilled at all of the fabulous feedback, comments and recommendations over the last few weeks.

What makes me so happy is the passion you all share in relation to Andaz 5th Avenue and Andaz in general. You are all helping us create a better brand!

We are also passionate about creating a truly special hotel for you and have taken serious note of the design issues that many of you have commented on, namely the exterior signage, guest room lighting and controls and the desk chair. We are passionate about improving these elements and I will keep you all up-to-date on these improvements in due course. We continue to fine-tune all other elements every day.

As always, I look forward to personally meeting you on your travels. Please keep sending me your feedback and feel free to PM me anytime.

Very best personal regards,

Jonathan
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Hallelujah!

So glad you're back and I have full confidence that the design elements will be handled. I hope that the customer service issues I wrote to you about are also high on the list.

Again, it is good to have you back on this board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.