Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by hieunha
I’m about to transfer UR points to Hyatt to book 2 nights here at 25k on standard room. We don’t have Hyatt status and will be traveling with 2 kids. How likely it is to get an upgrade for a bigger room? Or if anyone has been offered a good price to upgrade closer to traveling date? Thanks!
You can book the standard suite for 40k/night (if available) that has a sofabed for your kids. I would not count on a free upgrade to a suite without status.
beltway and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:05 am

Hi,

We are staying in NYC for 3 nights. We will be booking with points, do you recommend splitting the stay between PH New York (2 nights) and Andaz 5th (1 night)? or should we just stay at the same hotel? Which hotel do you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited by bunny425; Oct 10, 2021 at 7:10 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bunny425
Hi,

We are staying in NYC for 3 nights. We will be booking with points, do you recommend splitting the stay between PH New York (2 nights) and Andaz 5th (1 night)? or should we just stay at the same hotel?

Thanks!
Only if you don't mind moving hotels. I would just stay at one or another.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:07 pm

Hi we don't mind moving as we want to collect 5 different brands to get the category 1-4 free night certificate.....do you recommend PH NY or Andaz 5th? We have stayed at Andaz 5th a few years ago, but never stayed at PHNY. But reading some of the recent comments on Andaz 5th, is Andaz 5th going down hill?

Also, our flight arrives New York early in the morning, is it easy to get a room at PHNY early in the morning or do they make you wait until after 2pm?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Aventine
Only if you don't mind moving hotels. I would just stay at one or another.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 12:54 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Please go for the PH. Andaz in NYC absolutely blows in terms of service.
Originally Posted by bunny425
Hi we don't mind moving as we want to collect 5 different brands to get the category 1-4 free night certificate.....do you recommend PH NY or Andaz 5th? We have stayed at Andaz 5th a few years ago, but never stayed at PHNY. But reading some of the recent comments on Andaz 5th, is Andaz 5th going down hill?

Also, our flight arrives New York early in the morning, is it easy to get a room at PHNY early in the morning or do they make you wait until after 2pm?

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SW AList + CP
Andaz Suite TSU

does anyone have pics of the ANDAZ suite.. contemplating a stay at the PH in a premium CITY VIEW KING suite @ 200k for 3 nights.. but have too many TSU to burn this year.. so might "settle" for the Andaz Suite here for 83k.....

oh and there are currently no STANDARD suites avail at the PH or i probably would just do that...

we are not big breakfast eaters cause we like to eat "local" stuff we cant get otherwise...

anways, some recent pics would be great.... and also would like to know if they all have windows.. cause i heard some rooms dont have windows... thanks
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Will follow up with my full trip report in a bit, but the front desk did tell me that they are getting ready for restaurant renovations that will combine the street level space that is currently empty with the downstairs bar area (which is currently serving as the restaurant). No idea on a timeline for completion, though.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Amazing bed, tasty breakfast, and a true suite upgrade!

Finishing up a night at the Andaz - this might be my favorite Hyatt in NYC so far.

I had been upgraded in app to an Andaz Suite after booking a base room on points and NOT applying a TSU. I arrived around 9:00 AM and was able to get into my room around 10:45 AM. I was put in the suite layout right across from the elevators overlooking 41st Street on the top floor. Nice view - mostly nearby buildings, but they're attractive, and the room got lots of natural light. You could see the library and 30 Hudson Yards if you turned to the right. I really liked the Tony Chi design - very nice-looking and modern. The room definitely has some wear-and-tear, but the actual furniture seemed well-preserved. Full-size couch, comfortable desk, dishwasher, microwave, and full refrigerator/freezer in the living room. Lots of storage space. Pretty bathroom with dual vanity and large shower. The half-glass made the floor pretty wet, but the floor did seem to dry unnaturally fast. Shower pressure and temperature were pretty good, but definitely close the bathroom door to allow steam to heat the bathroom up (it was pretty drafty otherwise).

The best part of the room, by far, was the bed - what a great experience. Incredibly plush mattress, great covers, and lovely pillows. I had a great 11 hours of sleep. This was on par with some of the Ritz-Carlton beds that I have experienced and was easily the best NYC bed I have slept in.

The one issue with the room was the incredibly bright screen on the phone - I had to move the bedroom phone to the floor, and it was still pretty bright (guess it works as a nightlight :-)).

Service was friendly - great front desk that kept me updated on the progress of my room getting cleaned. No issue with late check-out.

Breakfast in the restaurant was tasty. I got the famous pancakes (of course), which were great, as well as a side of bacon. I liked the clear coffee cups. Service was efficient and friendly. I was told to get an entree, cold beverage, and hot beverage at check-in - hopefully, the side will substitute for the cold beverage.

The location was great - very easy to get around the city due to the proximity to Grand Central and Bryant Park stations.

Overall, I think this is easily my favorite NYC Hyatt so far (mostly because of the amazing bed).
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Will follow up with my full trip report in a bit, but the front desk did tell me that they are getting ready for restaurant renovations that will combine the street level space that is currently empty with the downstairs bar area (which is currently serving as the restaurant). No idea on a timeline for completion, though.
Oh that would be awesome! I've been boycotting the place since The Shop closed. I'd happily move my boycott to the Centric Times Square after they removed the carpet in the rooms.

Hopefully this means a fairly extensive soft goods renovation of the rooms too - they were very tired last time we were there.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
The best part of the room, by far, was the bed - what a great experience. Incredibly plush mattress, great covers, and lovely pillows. I had a great 11 hours of sleep. This was on par with some of the Ritz-Carlton beds that I have experienced and was easily the best NYC bed I have slept in.

Overall, I think this is easily my favorite NYC Hyatt so far (mostly because of the amazing bed).
They must have changed beds/pillows cause beds used to be very hard and the pillows were not very supportive (almost flat when my head rested on it).
Old Feb 1, 2022, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
They must have changed beds/pillows cause beds used to be very hard and the pillows were not very supportive (almost flat when my head rested on it).
They must have because that bed was about as far from hard as I have seen. Even sitting on top of the covers felt like lying in a cloud. The pillows (including the square-shaped pillows) were all very supportive.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:40 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The beds were vastly improved when they were changed out before the pandemic 2018 to 2019 ish
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Yeah it explains why is so comfy. The square pillows are new too.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:38 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Yeah it explains why is so comfy. The square pillows are new too.
I truly wish Hyatt would learn something and keep some of the better newer beds in mind when upgrading or launching new build hotels
The new Hyatt Centric was good in Philadelphia but hard as an ironing board like cement in Centric Honolulu
The original Andaz Wall Street also cement.The good news is they kept foam pads for those of us who aren't fond of sleeping on cast iron
Which made a world of difference.
I'd be curious what Centric Wall street ends up with bed wise.Andaz 5th Avenue was a major improvement over their first generation beds
While the beds got better the upgrade suite category got worse (sigh)
Old Feb 3, 2022, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
While the beds got better the upgrade suite category got worse (sigh)
Yes, the Andaz Suite is a step down from the Splash Suite. I've had a bunch of "just okay" stays at this property. I've never liked the overly spartan design and weird room layouts/furnishings. It would help if they moved the restaurant back upstairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.