Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 6, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by johndoes
Trying to book NY trip with family via Hyatt points for next month. PH NY has no availability for award stay. To get best bang for points value - Andaz 5th avenue is next best option after PH NY. This will be my 2nd stay at Andaz 5th Ave (currently Globalist) - last year i stayed here via GoH booking from good friend. I left with bad taste in mouth during my first stay - no suite upgrade (not even attempt by Front Desk), standard room with no good view only facing office building, no turn down service, had to ask daily to fill-up mini bar snacks; only good thing I remember was breakfast.

Hope it's better experience this time around specially staying as Globalist - will plan to check in early this time around. Also, dividing 3 nights into 2 stays as suite upgrades are normally offered for smaller stays.
It's New York. It's an Andaz. It's a crap shoot. As Diamond/Globalist, sometimes they did nice stuff for us (like putting my son and his GF in the splash suite, for no particular reason), sometimes things were perfunctory if not a bit cruddy (as you describe). I would not like this place so much if I were paying top dollar (and it is not cheap on points), but when the rates come down to low $200s, I find it well worth the gamble on delivery of upscale emoluments.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Stayed here for a few days a couple of weeks ago. Used a TSU and ended up at an Andaz Suite, which is the same kind of suite I've been upgraded to here a number of times "just because". Whatever. The best thing about this hotel is the breakfast, I think it's very good and the entrees unusual, tasty, and of high quality. Service is hit and miss overall, but if you get a good rate it's a good place to land.
Old May 6, 2018, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
It's New York. It's an Andaz. It's a crap shoot. As Diamond/Globalist, sometimes they did nice stuff for us (like putting my son and his GF in the splash suite, for no particular reason), sometimes things were perfunctory if not a bit cruddy (as you describe). I would not like this place so much if I were paying top dollar (and it is not cheap on points), but when the rates come down to low $200s, I find it well worth the gamble on delivery of upscale emoluments.
Lol your comment reminded me of something - I booked well in advance last time using 125K Hyatt points for 5 nights, only for rates to go in low 200s during our stay. I was kicking myself to stay least.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pickles
Used a TSU and ended up at an Andaz Suite, which is the same kind of suite I've been upgraded to here a number of times "just because". Whatever.
Per ToC, TSU's book into standard suites, and that's the standard suite these days.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Kacee
Per ToC, TSU's book into standard suites, and that's the standard suite these days.
ToC, ShmoC. I've stayed here many times, so maybe a little love would be shown. In contrast, stayed at the Hyatt Regency McCormick place, not a regular there, and I get a suite that was really an apartment: 1.5 baths, dining room for 8, living room, and 270 degree views of the Chicago skyline.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any floorplan for this hotel? Trying to see what type of room I'm in (ends in 07).

I tried to use Room77, but I guess they don't do individual room reviews anymore.

I feel like 07 is that balcony suite right across from the elevator in the main building maybe?
Old May 16, 2018, 11:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I’ve been in 1007. It is an Andaz Suite across from the elevator.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs down Restaurant moving downstairs

I just learned that the restaurant is moving to the area of The Bar. It is scheduled to occur late June. The current restaurant will be a “retail space”.
Apparently dinner will no longer be as before. Breakfast and lunch will be there. It will clearly be a less pleasant atmosphere.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So my room was 407, in the end.

No, not a suite.

In fact, an ADA room.

I'm still really surprised that as a Hyatt Globalist who has stayed there several times this year, that they'd give me effectively the worst room in the hotel. Normal room (they were heavily booked, so I can't complain about that), but ADA? It had that terrible bathroom, one sink, wide hallway with smaller furniture, etc.

It was easily the worst room I've stayed in there, and I do suspect it's about the worst in the hotel.

After a shower malfunction, I was moved to, I think, 608. Normal room and not ADA. Worlds better.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
As MMGM has written, 'The Shop', will be closing. This is a bad decision made by bean-counters. I have no wish to eat breakfast in a dimly lit basement bar.

Doc Copper
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I loved the Shop. Sad to see it go for a retail shop?!?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
As MMGM has written, 'The Shop', will be closing. This is a bad decision made by bean-counters. I have no wish to eat breakfast in a dimly lit basement bar.

Doc Copper
Hence, room service.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by mmgm
I just learned that the restaurant is moving to the area of The Bar. It is scheduled to occur late June. The current restaurant will be a “retail space”.
Apparently dinner will no longer be as before. Breakfast and lunch will be there. It will clearly be a less pleasant atmosphere.
That's too bad, I liked breakfast in the restaurant when meeting friends.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Yes, a poor decision which will negatively impact its ability to retain a higher paying clientele. This place appears to be following the downward path of Andaz Wall Street.

One of Hyatts' big pluses compared to other programs used to be the great selection of NYC properties. With both Andaz in decline, that advantage is seriously diminished.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:18 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thanks to all for the tip about "The Shop" potentially closing
The heartfelt team members of The Shop have been a source of comfort and service always during my visit defining the entire Andaz 5th Avenue
Like seeing old family and friends
If they lose these folks its a blow as would be the possibility of losing legendary iconic lemon Souffle pancake
Andaz Wall Street never recovered the brand prestige after they closed the restaurant and relocated it off the lobby cooking in the lobby.Downsizing the fitness center further damaged the appeal of the hotel
Andaz has new GM this week as Dena Roady departs for another property hopefully the new GM can save the Shop and bring back the magic at Andaz 5th Ave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.