Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Some stay notes:

- they let the front desk employees dress as they want now. It's bad in a hotel when you have to ask if they work here or not.
- service is as curt and bad as its always been. Items asked for were delayed or never came. Never once has a front desk told me they don't have any options to a 'cigarette smell coming into our suite from another suite problem'.
- no service recovery for that issue. Their ozone machine is pretty toxic and nasty. I would recommend checking out if they can't move you to another or better suite. Sleeping with the windows open in NYC is a recipe for a sleepless night.
- Tony Chi designed beautiful but VERY frustrating rooms. The Splash suite doors don't fully close and always open themselves.
- The slider up, down and around fixture panels gets old quick after 13 hour flight.
- the curtains could have used automation too.
-breakfast isn't as polished as it once was. Some decent dishes but others were sloppy.
- They will charge for anything outside of 1 entree, juice and coffee. I think it's ridiculous they don't allow you to add fruit or a side of meat for your entree.

I don't think I'd personally stay here again. It would have to be 2007 dirt cheap for me to even consider it again. I believe in second chances but I don't believe in third chances. Cornelia was a hotelier but Ms. Roady is more of an administrator. A hands off kind of GM. The further degradation of the property is probably on her. The level of human response and courtesy at 5th Avenue is on par with the Hyatt Place Paramus.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA PL, DL Gold, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
Some stay notes:

The level of human response and courtesy at 5th Avenue is on par with the Hyatt Place Paramus.
Hey Hey...I like the HP Fair Lawn/Paramus
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Some stay notes:

- they let the front desk employees dress as they want now. It's bad in a hotel when you have to ask if they work here or not.
- service is as curt and bad as its always been. Items asked for were delayed or never came. Never once has a front desk told me they don't have any options to a 'cigarette smell coming into our suite from another suite problem'.
- no service recovery for that issue. Their ozone machine is pretty toxic and nasty. I would recommend checking out if they can't move you to another or better suite. Sleeping with the windows open in NYC is a recipe for a sleepless night.
- Tony Chi designed beautiful but VERY frustrating rooms. The Splash suite doors don't fully close and always open themselves.
- The slider up, down and around fixture panels gets old quick after 13 hour flight.
- the curtains could have used automation too.
-breakfast isn't as polished as it once was. Some decent dishes but others were sloppy.
- They will charge for anything outside of 1 entree, juice and coffee. I think it's ridiculous they don't allow you to add fruit or a side of meat for your entree.

I don't think I'd personally stay here again. It would have to be 2007 dirt cheap for me to even consider it again. I believe in second chances but I don't believe in third chances. Cornelia was a hotelier but Ms. Roady is more of an administrator. A hands off kind of GM. The further degradation of the property is probably on her. The level of human response and courtesy at 5th Avenue is on par with the Hyatt Place Paramus.
So, it's not just me.

My recent stay there was horrible. Glob recognition/perks were nil-I got no upgrade at all, instead getting a very dark courtyard room. This place has really gone to hell in only a couple of years.

Last edited by zombietooth; Oct 12, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by zombietooth
So, it's not just me.

My recent stay there was horrible. Glob recognition/perks were nil-I got no upgrade at all, instead getting a very dark courtyard room. This place has really gone to hell in only a couple of years.
Is not just you. I reported the terrible breakfast (post 1775) and the aggressive upsell at this property back in July. I do not have plans to return - I rather stay at the GHNY.

They need to retrain the FD folks.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
My family and I stayed here for the second time in the last two years, for a one night stay before changing over to the Park Hyatt. Used points and an upgrade certificate, and was upgraded to the top floor two bedroom king overlooking the library. It was truly fabilous.

We had fantastic service from the hosts. Little discussion about breakfast where they tried to tell me my kids were not eligible for free breakfast, but that got straightened out. Free parking with the points stay which was great.

Food was good. We checked out on a Sunday and you could order anything off the brunch menu. We went with the Lobster Roll, Chicken Schnitzel, and Burger. All were great.

Used late checkout as well.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heatheresq
Hey Hey...I like the HP Fair Lawn/Paramus
haha it was good to us too. It's just that full service 5th Avenue should have more warmth and empathy to guests than an HP.

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Is not just you. I reported the terrible breakfast (post 1775) and the aggressive upsell at this property back in July. I do not have plans to return - I rather stay at the GHNY.

They need to retrain the FD folks.
Did corporate respond to your complaints?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
It definitely appears that this is now the policy based on how the Globalist card is written, which is a pretty big downgrade if actually enforced. Has anyone experienced being billed for small reasonable additions, like a side of fruit or meat?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh4ll
It definitely appears that this is now the policy based on how the Globalist card is written, which is a pretty big downgrade if actually enforced. Has anyone experienced being billed for small reasonable additions, like a side of fruit or meat?
Me. 8 dollars for sausage (like 4-5 in a Staub cast iron pan) and like 11 dollars for berries. I wonder if they would charge for a link of sausage? That's all I had wanted really.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Me. 8 dollars for sausage (like 4-5 in a Staub cast iron pan) and like 11 dollars for berries. I wonder if they would charge for a link of sausage? That's all I had wanted really.
Well, if you only wanted one, you could have auctioned off the others to try to get some of your money back.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Dang, that’s obnoxious. Did you happen to ask about the charges at checkout? Curious if they will bend if pressed.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh4ll
Dang, that’s obnoxious. Did you happen to ask about the charges at checkout? Curious if they will bend if pressed.
hahah I had a terrible cigarette smoking fumes problem (some other splash suite) coming into the suite and they didn't do anything about that. Honestly, I get their hotel is a business and they don't want to lose money on ANYTHING for anybody. I encountered this at the end of Cornelia' s time there during the transition too. I asked for the sausages and fruit so I just paid for it.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Well, if you only wanted one, you could have auctioned off the others to try to get some of your money back.
Yes, I should have put up an ad on Craigslist
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Defiantly a clear drop in service this go around. Rooms look worn. Front desk are even more pretentious. Left early for PHNY (added two nights).
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by footastic
Defiantly a clear drop in service this go around. Rooms look worn. Front desk are even more pretentious. Left early for PHNY (added two nights).
That's too bad, I've always had a good experience there and was considering a return the week of Thanksgiving. Let us know your thoughts on the PHNY - I had a recent stay there and while the hard product is still exceptional, I found the overall service and Globalist recognition to have dropped off significantly.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by gunksny
That's too bad, I've always had a good experience there and was considering a return the week of Thanksgiving. Let us know your thoughts on the PHNY - I had a recent stay there and while the hard product is still exceptional, I found the overall service and Globalist recognition to have dropped off significantly.
Same thoughts on Andaz 5th. Used to like it due to location. Last 2 stay were really unimpressive. Property tired, staff not trained properly and it was like a high school event. Glob recognition almost zero (we had booked a suite) and they made up rules during conversation...

Switched back to PHNY. Hard product still great. Soft product never as good as Four Seasons but still fine. So PHNY it is now.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:50 am

Printed Giftcards

Any recent dp on using Hyatt printed gc at Andaz 5th? I remember seeing in blogs that Andaz only accepting plastic gcs? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.