Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Thanks for the review. We’ve long considered this as a possible stay with our dog, since the hotel is pet friendly and we live only an hour or so away.
I saw several dogs. I did not try the spa, so can't comment on quality of spa services. The prices seemed very reasonable considering the setting.

There was an event Saturday evening and they closed the adults pool around 2:30 to set up. So that's something to look out for (as the family pool was predictably chaotic).

Overall I felt the service was at the PH level (adjusting for US service standards). One minor service fail, hostess at breakfast took a call as I was approaching the stand and then ignored me, but another hostess quickly appeared and took care of me. Otherwise service was excellent.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I was here a few weeks ago tonuse an expiring free night. Booked a standard award room, it was upgraded to a ground floor suite. Room was a little dated, but worked well since we had the kids and the were able to use the pull out bed.

Breakfast buffet was fully covered for the 4 of us. One of the better buffets I’ve had at a US property.

The resort fee was waived and valet parking was included. They even charged up my electric car.

Close to many local craft breweries and a close drive for me living in south OC. Not sure if it was the best use of a cat 1-7 award, but there’s really nothing else close by.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Just completed a one night stay here following four nights at the Hyatt Mission Bay. I had two rooms, one booked as a globalist under the old cash and points program and one for my in-laws booked through Prive. Both rooms were upgraded to Palm Court View and we were told no suites were available. This was our third or fourth stay here, the rooms were very quiet, comfortable, large, and a completely different ballpark from Mission Bay where we had just come from.

The breakfast buffet is truly excellent. The mini baguettes, bread pudding, and the cheese board were highlights for me. My family all loved their food. My in-laws had a light dinner at the lobby lounge to use part of the Prive credit and they seemed satisfied though not remarkable.

We received a bowl of chips and a big bowl of guacamole after checkin. The guacamole was really good. I’m not sure if this was intended for us as globalists or for my in-laws due to the Prive booking. Regarding Prive, the exact amount of their dinner at the lobby lounge was covered. They had lunch from the market and that was not covered, so we lost part of the credit. This was not clearly explained at checkin but I did not push it. As expected the resort fee was waived for my room and not for my in-laws; the welcome letter explicitly states that globalist benefits are only valid for one room (vs Mission Bay which removed the resort fee for both rooms). 4PM checkout was confirmed for both rooms without trouble.

The valets are very speedy and friendly and all other staff were friendly. There was a really neat children’s program today with live animals and a caretaker providing a short lesson on each animal (eg opossum, a toad, lizard, and other animals). I had never seen anything like this in a hotel and my son really enjoyed it. There was also free yoga today which my wife enjoyed.

The grounds are beautiful and the hotel was really nicely decorated for Christmas. I think two nights is the right amount of time for this hotel, the hotel is relaxing but I’d rather be more centrally located and be able to walk to something. For my taste a good balance is 4 or so nights in San Diego and a couple of nights up here.
markko likes this.

Last edited by River in Sight; Dec 29, 2018 at 9:54 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Upgrades are all depend on availability ...

At check in, was upgraded without using the DSU to a suite on the second floor (Lobby is on the 3rd floor as the structure is on an incline). After the first night requested a higher floor, and was again upgraded to a suite of the 5th floor with balcony overlooking the pool and the lake beyond. We stayed at late July weekend which is a high season for this area.

More photos can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz...57656671521105
thanks for sharing all the pics. is the room shown the suite or deluxe suite?
Kalboz likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:37 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
I don't know the suite categories at this property - maybe others can chime in with an answer!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
That picture was of the standard park suite. I've never been upgraded further to the deluxe suite so I can't comment on the differences, but the park suite was very large and comfortable for 2 adults and 1 child.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: Several...
Since I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, I'm booking this through Visa Infinite Collection.

I was going to book this anyway and the benefits include (for the same price):

Visa Premium Benefits

Premium Benefits

• $75 USD food or beverage credit
  • Best available rate guarantee
  • Automatic room upgrade upon arrival, when available
  • Complimentary buffet breakfast daily
  • Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi, when available
  • VIP Guest status
  • Late check-out upon request, when available
  • $50 USD Food or Beverage credit

Are there any better options?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:24 pm

There is YT video by Yellow Productions that shows the Deluxe Suite.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by soliloquy
Since I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve card, I'm booking this through Visa Infinite Collection.

I was going to book this anyway and the benefits include (for the same price):

Visa Premium Benefits

Premium Benefits

• $75 USD food or beverage credit
  • Best available rate guarantee
  • Automatic room upgrade upon arrival, when available
  • Complimentary buffet breakfast daily
  • Complimentary in-room Wi-Fi, when available
  • VIP Guest status
  • Late check-out upon request, when available
  • $50 USD Food or Beverage credit

Are there any better options?
does that mean you’ll get $125 worth of f&b credit? If so, that’s the best offer. Otherwise, Prive, AMEX FHR and Virtuoso (if it’s even on the latter) will only give you $100
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by reigndrop

does that mean you’ll get $125 worth of f&b credit? If so, that’s the best offer. Otherwise, Prive, AMEX FHR and Virtuoso (if it’s even on the latter) will only give you $100
From my experience at the Andaz in Maui, those credits do combine. We booked that hotel through Visa Infinite as well. Thank you! I like being able to have travel agent perks without the travel agent since I like to have control of my booking. The biggest savings for us was actually breakfast. We don't have status with Hyatt that comps breakfast so we were looking at $28/pp/day for 4 people. For our 9-night stay, we are saving $1008.00.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:27 am

We are here now having checked in on 6/3. We are staying for 8 nights. We just left, just short of a week, at the Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego to enjoy some time away from the hustle and bustle. To give some perspective, we stayed in the Penthouse at the Manchester Grand Hyatt and so while the Aviara resort is an upgrade (depending on who you ask), our room is a downgrade because Aviara did not have a room available other than the Park Deluxe Suite at the time we booked. I'm not basing my review on that because inventory availability is no reason to rate a resort as average. I'm just giving perspective. Some might think my ho hum review is due to the comparison of the two entirely different hotels, which serve different purposes. But, I think I'd feel this way about the Aviara regardless of whether we stayed here before or after the Manchester.

Pros:

Well-manicured.

Beautifully situated and overlooking the lagoon.

Park Deluxe Suite has two bathrooms and two balconies.

Far away from the hustle and bustle.

Front desk staff and valet provides exceptional service.

Bathrooms are well-appointed and everything is immaculately clean.

I'm not a golfer, but my spouse is and he's happy as a clam with the course and amenities.

Pool and hot tub area have plenty of space for relaxing and it has not been overcrowded at all during our stay (although weather has been overcast so there are probably fewer people out and about anyway).

Cons:

There is a fragrance being pumped through the ventilation system that is keeping me on the cusp of nausea (literally) and with a consistent headache. There is no reprieve unless I leave the property. I have to step out on the balcony frequently to try and recover. I thought I was imagining it on the first day, but it's so strong and everywhere. It makes it very uncomfortable for guests that have allergies or sensitivities to perfume. Plus, I'm not entirely sure whatever they are pumping through the vents is healthy. The undisclosed mixture of various scent chemicals and ingredients used as fragrance dispersants have been associated with allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system. It's something resorts should check into before they decide to bombard their guests with overpowering perfumes. While some may love it, the negative implications for those who have sinus or other respiratory issues as a result should not be ignored.

I went to the breakfast buffet on 6/4, which is $32/pp (I believe). There were fruit flies. I don't mean one or two (although there should be none). There were dozens. I didn't want to eat any of the fruit. The omelette station was unmanned the entire time we were there and all ingredients were exposed to these fruit flies. When we asked the waitress about the omelette station, she said that she would help with that. She did make my husband a veggie omelette (we hadn't seen the fruit flies yet). It wasn't explained to us the difference between the continental and full breakfast. The menu said that the full breakfast comes with pancakes, waffles, and french toast which you have to order separately. So I thought if you ordered those things, you'd be charged for the full buffet. But, I picked up two sausages and so we had to pay for the more pricey breakfast (which wasn't worth the upcharge for two sausages). You have to ask for every little thing, because information regarding how things work is not volunteered. I ended up going to Von's (about a mile away) to purchase fruit and some breakfast staples so I don't have to venture out for breakfast in the morning - Fruitflies is not my choice of protein. The prices were pretty much the same at the Manchester, but I think Manchester has a better buffet set up. Still, wait staff there was very nice and accommodating. I'm more concerned about sanitation and food safety than about the service of the wait staff.

Rooms need updating. Maybe that is part of the "old world charm?" But, it looks worn in many areas. We are in a "Park Deluxe" suite. There's a mini fridge that kind of sticks out into the entry leading to the master bedroom because there's no other place for it to go. The furniture is oversized for the rooms.

There's no microwave. When you have kids/teens, a microwave is helpful and at this price point, I had expected one. I know some people say you never find in-room microwaves at five-star resorts. Fine. But, when you are staying at a property for 8 days and sometimes you just want to stay in the room without having to venture out, a microwave can be useful. This is especially true when traveling with teens.

The property itself truly is gorgeous, but I am seriously befuddled by some of these "perfect" reviews I'm seeing here and on Tripadvisor. I do not think I'm terribly picky when it comes to hotel stays (even if I were, I think there's nothing wrong with that at this price point). However, I do see areas of opportunity for improvement that aren't reflected in the reviews I read before booking.

A word of warning: This property is great if you are looking to get away from it all. If you love the spa and you want to spend all day lounging around, sipping on cocktails, and laying by the pool, it absolutely serves its purpose. If you want to use it as a launch pad for exploring Carlsbad and the surrounding area, it's perfect. But, if you are a youngish couple looking for a resort with a lot to do other than walk around in your bathrobe from spa to room and back again, go somewhere else. This is not the place for you. You will be bored unless you are fine with venturing off property to find something to do every day. This particular observation is not a slight against the property. It absolutely serves its purpose as an oasis away from the city. But, it may surprise some travelers who expect there to be more entertainment and things to do at a resort.

There are some on this board that defend resorts like they are defending the honor of their mama and that's fine. I know opinions may vary and many may disagree, but this is my review.

Last edited by soliloquy; Jun 7, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There's no microwave.
It's not at all common to have a microwave at a 5 star resort, and I certainly would not expect one at Aviara. Perhaps you're thinking of Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, or similar type properties.
But, I picked up two sausages and so we had to pay for the more pricey breakfast (which wasn't worth the upcharge for two sausages).
I would never expect sausage to be included in the continental buffet. I would also not expect fruit flies with my breakfast, so can understand why you were not happy about that.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:55 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Fruit flies and perfumed air?
Thats what the hotel industry calls scent or scented air
They are under the impression it brings guests back
I would complain to Hyatt as at least they have it on record that some guests not only despise it
but makes them ill
I hate it too! There are properties including some excellent ones I do not return to as a result
There is also some school of thought that it may be cancer causing
Whatever happened to fresh air? and its free
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: hyatt diamond
I am one that LOVES the scented air. I understand it isn't for everyone.

We stayed in same room type and I agree that rooms need updating, but the property itself was the service was amazing.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not at all common to have a microwave at a 5 star resort, and I certainly would not expect one at Aviara. Perhaps you're thinking of Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, or similar type properties.
I would never expect sausage to be included in the continental buffet. I would also not expect fruit flies with my breakfast, so can understand why you were not happy about that.
I may have misunderstood, but the way breakfast was introduced to us, we were told that "what's over there...hand gesture to buffet area" is for the continental buffet. If you want the full American buffet, you can order those items from the menu and that's also what the menu said. We didn't order from the menu. It may be my fault but my husband and two teens heard the same thing. Regardless, we didn't have the full benefit of what we were charged because of the fruit flies. Fruit flies aren't my choice of protein.

Last edited by soliloquy; Jun 7, 2019 at 12:28 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.