Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Aviara - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2014, 4:43 pm

Just had a great one night stay-catation at this property. We were there to celebrate my Fiance's birthday, and were taken very good care of even though I have no status with Hyatt and was on a points rate.

Upon check-in I was informed we were "upgraded" to a panoramic view room - which I believe is the same room as the other standard rooms with a slightly better view. The front desk agent also told us she had provided complimentary access to use the spa facilities (sauna, jacuzzi, etc), which they apparently charge $20/day for. We considered taking advantage of that option as the spa looked excellent, but we never got around to it.

We quickly headed to the pool, as that is what we were there for more than anything else. When we returned to the room to get ready for dinner we were happy to discover a bottle of Cava and a box of chocolates with a hand-written note from the front desk agent who checked us in wishing "Mrs. CFFrost" (a few months premature on that, which we got a chuckle out of) a happy birthday.

We also had breakfast in their restaurant the next morning and it was excellent, despite a slight order snafu (My fiancé ordered eggs benedict but was brought crab benedict instead).

Overall a great property, and I would say the staff was excellent as every person I encountered appeared genuinely eager to provide a good experience.

Lastly, Valet is $35 a day which is very steep in my book especially for a property that is not city-center. While I expected to pay a $25 resort fee, it did not appear on my bill at check-out so I will be curious to see what the final charge is when it posts.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by CFFrost
Just had a great one night stay-catation at this property. We were there to celebrate my Fiance's birthday, and were taken very good care of even though I have no status with Hyatt and was on a points rate.

Upon check-in I was informed we were "upgraded" to a panoramic view room - which I believe is the same room as the other standard rooms with a slightly better view. The front desk agent also told us she had provided complimentary access to use the spa facilities (sauna, jacuzzi, etc), which they apparently charge $20/day for. We considered taking advantage of that option as the spa looked excellent, but we never got around to it.

We quickly headed to the pool, as that is what we were there for more than anything else. When we returned to the room to get ready for dinner we were happy to discover a bottle of Cava and a box of chocolates with a hand-written note from the front desk agent who checked us in wishing "Mrs. CFFrost" (a few months premature on that, which we got a chuckle out of) a happy birthday.

We also had breakfast in their restaurant the next morning and it was excellent, despite a slight order snafu (My fiancé ordered eggs benedict but was brought crab benedict instead).

Overall a great property, and I would say the staff was excellent as every person I encountered appeared genuinely eager to provide a good experience.

Lastly, Valet is $35 a day which is very steep in my book especially for a property that is not city-center. While I expected to pay a $25 resort fee, it did not appear on my bill at check-out so I will be curious to see what the final charge is when it posts.
You don't pay resort fees on points stays.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Thanks for clarifying - I have never stayed at a Hyatt property with a resort fee on a points stay, but I thought I remembered a note when I made the reservation that I would be subject to the fee.

In any event the $35 valet / $25 resort fee combo is still worth noting when comparing this property to other options in the area.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 9:46 am
Suspended

Recently had our first stay here, for 3 nights, and this is probably now our favorite Hyatt in California. Used a DSU and received a very nice suite with a gorgeous view. Layout and size was somewhat similar to the director suites at the HR HB. Although some of the décor (granite in particular) probably isn't the color a hotel would pick these days (looks more early 2000s), the room was in fantastic shape, had a great setup, wonderful (though distant) views of the bay/ocean, and we couldn't be happier with it. Had 1.5 baths and a nice walk in closet.

Diamond breakfast was the American buffet in the California Bistro which was very enjoyable -- excellent quality fruit/berries and pastries in particular, plus some nice hot items and an omelet bar.

Service was very friendly but it was the hard product in particular that wowed us. Views aren't quite as spectacular of the ocean as HB or Carmel (since you're much further from it), but everything else was a notch or two above other Hyatt's in CA. Grounds and views are absolutely gorgeous.

For those travelling with kids, looked like it was less than a 10 minute drive to Legoland and they had some sort of game room with all kinds of pool tables, air hockey, playstation, foosball, etc. Also had both kids and adult pools (adult pool oddly reminded us of the rooftop pool at Andaz WEHO in terms of the panoramic views).

Also, if you're looking for a nice dinner within a 10-15 minute drive, highly recommend Market Restaurant in Del Mar or Paon in downtown Carlsbad.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:28 pm

Hi everyone, planning a stay here in July. Have a suite and another room booked. We have lots of kids (6) although the youngest are still in cribs and usually sleep next to us in the cribs provided by the hotel. Has anyone stayed here and at the Hilton in Carlsbad? Trying to decide which one my kids will have more fun at.

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Hi everyone, planning a stay here in July. Have a suite and another room booked. We have lots of kids (6) although the youngest are still in cribs and usually sleep next to us in the cribs provided by the hotel. Has anyone stayed here and at the Hilton in Carlsbad? Trying to decide which one my kids will have more fun at.

Thanks for the help.
I just got back from a 5 night stay at the Park Hyatt--we have 4 kids aged 17-6 and they loved the hotel. I have not stayed at the Hilton Carlsbad--but would definitely recommend the Park Hyatt. My kids kept saying they felt like royalty at the hotel--everyone was so nice to the kids. There are many activities at the hotel--pools, hot tub-they also have a rec center that includes croquet, a playground, basketball, tennis, other activities. The center has all the equipment as well--my kids loved playing croquet, although I don't know the official rules, so I just made them up.

The breakfast at the hotel is expensive--but amazing. As a Hyatt Diamond you get free breakfast for up to 4 adults--I definitely did not mind paying for 2 kids for the quality of the breakfast. It isn't the biggest breakfast spread I have ever seen, but the quality is amazing. Each day they have a special fresh squeezed juice-they will also make pancakes/french toast/waffles as part of the buffet. We ate breakfast there 5 days in a row and never got tired of it.

The Park Hyatt is about 30 minutes to Seaworld/Zoo/Safari Park--but we didn't mind making the drive every day--so nice to have someplace to get away from the crowds.

We did have to pay for Valet parking--but it was always prompt and they usually loaded us up with cold water every time they brought the car up.

We loved the Park Hyatt--I am a big fan.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 1:43 pm

I have a 9 day stay coming up here. Actually my 3rd at this hotel (never that long, though) in the past 6 months or so. One thing that still bothers me a bit is the valet-only parking. And I think the reason is, I'm still not sure what I should be doing from a tipping standpoint. I do tip, and I actually think I over-tip, which might be causing my issue. So at this hotel, what have folks done?

Tip when they take your car? Tip when you get your car back? Both?

If I'm going to be in and out a lot, would it be unacceptable for me to find a manager, hand them $50 and ask him to divvy that up to the valet staff for the week ($5 a day)?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I have a 9 day stay coming up here. Actually my 3rd at this hotel (never that long, though) in the past 6 months or so. One thing that still bothers me a bit is the valet-only parking. And I think the reason is, I'm still not sure what I should be doing from a tipping standpoint. I do tip, and I actually think I over-tip, which might be causing my issue. So at this hotel, what have folks done?

Tip when they take your car? Tip when you get your car back? Both?

If I'm going to be in and out a lot, would it be unacceptable for me to find a manager, hand them $50 and ask him to divvy that up to the valet staff for the week ($5 a day)?
An Ambassador pleasure to assist
The correct way as I understand it is to tip when receiving the car not upon returning it
Between $3 and $5 each time is generous IMO
Less if they fail to retrieve the car promptly. I take service attitude and friendliness and overall professionalism into the final decision as well

For some other thoughts
though the article is a bit old so you may wish to add/adjust for inflation

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...ing17_ST_N.htm

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 1, 2014 at 9:03 am
Old May 1, 2014, 12:04 am

Is there any free street parking near the resort?
Old May 1, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

For some other thoughts though
the article is a bit old so you may wish to add for inflation

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...ing17_ST_N.htm

I was amazed to see an etiquette "expert" think it was appropriate to tip a maintenance person to fix a problem with the room.

They don't deserve to be well paid, but by the property not the guest.
Old May 1, 2014, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by AEmgee
Is there any free street parking near the resort?
I looked and found none during my stay.
Old May 1, 2014, 9:16 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by JackE
I was amazed to see an etiquette "expert" think it was appropriate to tip a maintenance person to fix a problem with the room.

I see maintenance folks as highly valuable. I have tipped some of them in the past.However it really depends on what they are doing
and if it should have been working and what they did to solve the issue as well as communicate the solution and resolution.

The whole topic of tipping can be confusing to guests even experienced travellers. It changes from country to country and so does the amount right down to none at all!!!
One of the most interesting experiences I had many years ago was the Marriott in Toronto the hotel offered a no tipping policy that was strictly enforced.
The service was excellent and the concept refreshing!
Between running around with dollar and 5 dollar bills for tipping plus the dreaded resort fees at select properties that aren't resorts there are times I'd rather not stay at all
Some hotels have gone as far to call resort fees fixed amenity surcharges
Old May 2, 2014, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by skunker
Do you have an official link to this info?
Thx
Old May 2, 2014, 9:41 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by philemer
Do you have an official link to this info?
Thx
Don't think there is an official link but all award stays are exempt from resort fees and most taxes.
Old May 3, 2014, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by JackE

OMG, I meant to say they "deserve to be well paid", not "don't deserve". Sorry for the bad edit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.