Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

The GH Shanghai offered incredible value recently. The rate is much better than PH SH and Ritz Carlton Pudong....
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by Aventine
Looking forward to hearing more about Sukhothai.
I'll try it on my next trip in March and will report back.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RedSun
The GH Shanghai offered incredible value recently. The rate is much better than PH SH and Ritz Carlton Pudong....
1. I don't think the GH is much worse than the PH
2. While I can't say that the RC Pudong is better than either, it is basically on the river
3. Unless you have business in Pudong, it is much better to find a hotel in Puxi
-I lived there in 2003 because I found an amazing apartment, but I regretted that decision shortly after; while crossing the river isn't nearly as difficult these days, why bother?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon

I am at Andaz for a few nights purely for work-related purposes. Convenient for my meetings around there. Never liked nor disliked the cool factor of Xintiandi.
How is Andaz? Concur rates it as 4*, whereas GH is 5*. Our office is at ZhangJiang High Tech Park area, so I've stayed at GH to be closer to work.

If I want to be in Puxi, I would stay at Le Royal Meridien or JW Marriott at Tomorrow Square to be on line 2.

I'm debating where to stay in April when I go to Shanghai.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
How is Andaz? Concur rates it as 4*, whereas GH is 5*. Our office is at ZhangJiang High Tech Park area, so I've stayed at GH to be closer to work.

If I want to be in Puxi, I would stay at Le Royal Meridien or JW Marriott at Tomorrow Square to be on line 2.

I personally care MUCH more about location than quality because traffic can be awful. As such, I need to be on Line 10 or Line 13, but Line 2 clearly makes more sense for you. Why not give the Sukhothai a test drive? It's in Jing'an, and is close to the Nanjing Xi Lu metro station, which gives you 2, 12, and 13. There are also good restaurants nearby.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum

I personally like PH way better than any other Hyatt property in Shanghai.

1. Its quiet and very private.
2. There are good restaurants at basement and first 2 floors.

The only thing I dont like about the PH is the breakfast is so so. Other than that- just much better than GH.

I cant stand Andaz interior. Breakfast also horrible.

Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
I personally care MUCH more about location than quality because traffic can be awful. As such, I need to be on Line 10 or Line 13, but Line 2 clearly makes more sense for you. Why not give the Sukhothai a test drive? It's in Jing'an, and is close to the Nanjing Xi Lu metro station, which gives you 2, 12, and 13. There are also good restaurants nearby.
We have corporate rates at most Hyatt, availability depends on occupancy. However, I have not found a corporate rate for Sukhothai (since it's part of Small Luxury Hotel group), and my search dates have standard rates >2000 RMB, too high to justify for Shanghai Andaz rates are also high for some of my dates, and always higher than GH.

I know you don't care for People's Square area, but it's at least convenient. That's why I tended to stay at LRM and JW Marriott. Corporate rate of 1100 RMB at JW Marriott is also very nice.

Originally Posted by krispykrme
I personally like PH way better than any other Hyatt property in Shanghai.

1. It’s quiet and very private.
2. There are good restaurants at basement and first 2 floors.

The only thing I don’t like about the PH is the breakfast is so so. Other than that- just much better than GH.

I cant stand Andaz interior. Breakfast also horrible.
I stayed at PH once. The interior wood paneling finish is sticky (I read discussions about that on PH thread after my stay), which I really don't care for.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:18 am
Suspended

IMO, any thread comparing hotels is not much meaningful. We all have our own personal opinion and our own situation. We may stay there one day or two, or regularly. We can be casual travel or business travel. We may pay the bill or the business will pick up the bill and we care less about costs. Some have never stay at those properties before and it can be good to explore any of the above fine properties.

To the end, it all come to what you personally like, not what others think.... Others are never YOU.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:58 am

We have corporate rates at most Hyatt, availability depends on occupancy. However, I have not found a corporate rate for Sukhothai (since it's part of Small Luxury Hotel group), and my search dates have standard rates >2000 RMB, too high to justify for Shanghai Andaz rates are also high for some of my dates, and always higher than GH.

I know you don't care for People's Square area, but it's at least convenient. That's why I tended to stay at LRM and JW Marriott. Corporate rate of 1100 RMB at JW Marriott is also very nice.
I'm amazed that your post is one of the few in this long thread that discusses the price issue. Regardless of who is footing the bill, I could certainly get over my dislike for People's Square if the JW was Y900 less than the Andaz! That having been said, I'm guessing that a phone call to the Sukhothai might end up scoring you a rate comparable to the JW; their occupancy rates aren't especially high yet, and I'm sure they would value your business.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:06 am

IMO, any thread comparing hotels is not much meaningful. We all have our own personal opinion and our own situation. We may stay there one day or two, or regularly. We can be casual travel or business travel. We may pay the bill or the business will pick up the bill and we care less about costs. Some have never stay at those properties before and it can be good to explore any of the above fine properties.

To the end, it all come to what you personally like, not what others think.... Others are never YOU.
While I agree with your general point, in the instant case, I want to reemphasize the fact that Lujiazui is a bad choice if your objective is to actually experience Shanghai.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:43 am
Suspended

While I agree with your general point, in the instant case, I want to reemphasize the fact that Lujiazui is a bad choice if your objective is to actually experience Shanghai.
This is exactly what my point is. Not all of us are pleasure travelers. Some of us come to Shanghai for business travel and Pudong is the heart of the most of the banks and other large corporations.

To me, the proximity is #1 . Then I like to explore the hotel and surroundings if I get the luxury. I'll only stay at "the" one if I've explored most of the others.

I guess, not much can beat the $180 GH and I can get all the benefits of WOH... No matter how good it is, I won't pay $400 to stay at Ritz Carlton Pudong if I get offer to stay at GH. To some extend, some small differences won't make much difference to me.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:18 am

I have posted some initial comments of my stay at the Sulkhothai: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...sls-hotel.html.

I am here for two days. Will follow up with photos to that thread later.

So far, so good. The Sukhothai is a good hotel, and I intend to switch more of my stays here, as long as my business pulls me to this location, within reason.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:47 am

I guess, not much can beat the $180 GH and I can get all the benefits of WOH... No matter how good it is, I won't pay $400 to stay at Ritz Carlton Pudong if I get offer to stay at GH. To some extend, some small differences won't make much difference to me.
I'm in complete agreement with you, but you should stop by Flair (at the RC) for a drink if the weather is nice.

Also, if anyone really wants to stay at the RC, their gold card includes 1 or 2 nights, and a ton of other coupons. I'm not sure of the current price, but it's almost certainly south of $400.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:10 pm
Suspended

I'm in complete agreement with you, but you should stop by Flair (at the RC) for a drink if the weather is nice.

Also, if anyone really wants to stay at the RC, their gold card includes 1 or 2 nights, and a ton of other coupons. I'm not sure of the current price, but it's almost certainly south of $400.
Marriott recently dropped RC Pudong reward rate from 70,000 to 60,000. But since it is RC, Marriott members do not get any benefits like free breakfast or lounge access. With GH at 15,000 and PH at 20,000, you also get all the WOH benefits. So value-wise, there is no comparison. Maybe you can get lucky to get good rate at RC some days....

Ritz Carlton card get an annual free night up to 50,000 points. Not enough to stay at RC Pudong. This is sad. IMO, RC Pudong is not worth 60,000 points. The rack price would have to be about $580 to be worth the points.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Heading thru Shanghai in November en route to Siem Reap taking advantage of the new Delta SEA-PVG flight. My kids have never been to Shanghai so I think we'll lay over there for the weekend. My last few stays were a while back, I think the GH was the last stay. I liked the views and all, but wondering if based on being there as tourists this time that maybe we try the Andaz. Does that make sense?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.