Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

SHANGHAI: Grand Hyatt vs Park Hyatt vs Bund

Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
For my trip with my wife in a couple of weeks, I'd been planning and had reserved a few nights at the PH. But now, talk about First World problems, I'm wondering whether the GH would be better. (FWIW, we'll be staying at the Andaz at the end of our trip for a couple of nights, to be more in the center of things.)

A number of folks do seem to prefer the PH when asked to choose between the two, based largely it seems on the superior breakfasts and overall stylishness and ambiance of the PH. The main reason I'm having second thoughts is that, based on my perusing both the GH and PH review threads, the chance of an upgrade (whether using a DSU or otherwise due to my Diamond status) and/or getting a Bund view is better at the GH.

In addition, I'm wondering whether the views (if the weather permits, which I realize is a bit "if") are actually a bit better from the GH, since it's partly in the way of the PH views. Plus, if I understand the room layouts correctly, it seems my wife could more likely take a bath with a dramatic view from the GH than from the PH. Finally, there's the GH lounge, though I don't know if our bopping around Shanghai would mean we'd even avail of it any evening.

Again, it's wonderful to have such choices and perhaps I'm simply over-thinking this. But this is likely our only trip to Shanghai together, and I want to make it as special as possible. Thanks for any advice.
I only have experience with the PH, but I think it is worth it for just a stay of even one night. The whole hotel is very sublimely designed, from the private entrance, lobby, dark hall ways with bookshelf (on the suite floors), to the in-room furnishing. It's worth a night purely for the design alone.

They tend to be protective of the bund view and don't seem to like to upgrade to bund view, but this is one hotel where you are high enough that the view would be stunning even if you do not face the bund (on a good weather day). In any case, with the typical smog, a bund view wouldn't be that spectacular either.

Having stayed in a regular room, a suite, and a diplomat's suite, none with bund view, I don't believe any of the bath tubs has outside view. You will, however, have great water pressure.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks, ckpeter. Good to get that info and perspective.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:00 pm

Hi all, I am considering 2 nights at a Hyatt property on points as an "Explorist" before 2 nights at the Waldorf Astoria. Trip is in March.

No DSU to use, but could use a club pass if that makes the recommendation easier. Won't be getting breakfast perks as an Explorist.

Never been to Shanghai before. Traveling solo (34 year old male) for pleasure.

Andaz? Park? Grand? Hyatt on the Bund?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Hi all, I am considering 2 nights at a Hyatt property on points as an "Explorist" before 2 nights at the Waldorf Astoria. Trip is in March.

No DSU to use, but could use a club pass if that makes the recommendation easier. Won't be getting breakfast perks as an Explorist.

Never been to Shanghai before. Traveling solo (34 year old male) for pleasure.

Andaz? Park? Grand? Hyatt on the Bund?

Thanks!
Waldorf is not a Hyatt. Anyway, in terms of location, Andaz is much better than the other 3 Hyatt properties.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tth6133
Waldorf is not a Hyatt. Anyway, in terms of location, Andaz is much better than the other 3 Hyatt properties.
+1
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Has anyone stayed at the Sukhothai? SLS hotel that can now be redeemed on points with Hyatt. Seems to be getting rave reviews on TripAdvisor.

I'm considering redeeming points for either Sukhothai or PH (both 20,000). Only thing is that it seems a bit steep. A couple lovely hotels on the Bund (Waldorf Astoria and Wanda Reign) are both offering about $220 cash rates per night which would seem to be a much better deal than using 20k for the PH. I'm also not a Diamond with Hyatt so I can forget the upgrade or the amazing breakfast.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Has anyone stayed at the Sukhothai? SLS hotel that can now be redeemed on points with Hyatt. Seems to be getting rave reviews on TripAdvisor.

I'm considering redeeming points for either Sukhothai or PH (both 20,000). Only thing is that it seems a bit steep. A couple lovely hotels on the Bund (Waldorf Astoria and Wanda Reign) are both offering about $220 cash rates per night which would seem to be a much better deal than using 20k for the PH. I'm also not a Diamond with Hyatt so I can forget the upgrade or the amazing breakfast.
I had no clue there was a hotel there until I read this, but I'm quite fond of that neighborhood.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

20000 is only a Cat 5. Take one for the team!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
20000 is only a Cat 5. Take one for the team!
lol I have points but unfortunately they are tied up in Hyatt Kyoto reservation until I can pinpoint cherry blossom dates. I'm being held hostage at the moment.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Which one of those would have the best room for Globalists?

I will only be staying for one night the coming Wed, the weather I checked seems very bad and I will have people picking/dropping off any time so location doesn't really matter.

When booking a basic room at HOTB, GH, PH or Andaz, which hotel normally provides the best upgrade?
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
If you want views of the Bund, Hyatt on the Bund has spectacular views, esp from rooftop bar. But the location is kind of middle of nowhere. Not much else around easily and too far actually for many to walk actually to Bund.

They do have best Beijing duck in city, better than Da Dong.

I wouldn't choose PH esp but also GH for Bund views. Both are so high up that the perspective is cool (not the Bund view itself). Only caveat is that if rainy or polluted you see nothing as they too high up, esp PH.

Andaz by far has best location for touristy things as right near walking area of Xintiandi. If walking around key for you, then Andaz good.

Grand Hyatt getting a little old but I still like. PH far more modern but I don't love style... Too dark for me.

I have more meetings at Andaz followed by PH if that gives you idea of locations.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Which one of those would have the best room for Globalists?

I will only be staying for one night the coming Wed, the weather I checked seems very bad and I will have people picking/dropping off any time so location doesn't really matter.

When booking a basic room at HOTB, GH, PH or Andaz, which hotel normally provides the best upgrade?
I am also in Shanghai all of next week, and have split my stays between the Andaz and The Sukhothai. Never stayed at the latter yet, but will give it a go since I can earn WOH credits now via the partnership with SLH. The Sukhothai has been reaching out to me since a few days ago to confirm check in time, confirmed room upgrade, late checkout (they are proactively offering 4pm to me). Seems like a good start!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon

I am also in Shanghai all of next week, and have split my stays between the Andaz and The Sukhothai. Never stayed at the latter yet, but will give it a go since I can earn WOH credits now via the partnership with SLH. The Sukhothai has been reaching out to me since a few days ago to confirm check in time, confirmed room upgrade, late checkout (they are proactively offering 4pm to me). Seems like a good start!
I work in xtd and used to live there, but it honestly isn't that cool imo. We are all looking forward to your review of the latter.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by moondog
I work in xtd and used to live there, but it honestly isn't that cool imo. We are all looking forward to your review of the latter.
I am at Andaz for a few nights purely for work-related purposes. Convenient for my meetings around there. Never liked nor disliked the “cool factor” of Xintiandi.

Let’s see how the Sukhothai goes, and I will post back in the appropriate thread.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon

Looking forward to hearing more about Sukhothai.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.