Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

NEW YORK: 2 * Andaz vs Grand Hyatt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

which one should i choose?
just want to do a weekend visiting in nyc, my first time to nyc.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
which one should i choose?
just want to do a weekend visiting in nyc, my first time to nyc.
I think most people would say the Andaz!
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnmag
I think most people would say the Andaz!
which andaz?

actually, i checked the rate that grand hyatt more than 500$ while the two andaz are 300$ around...
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:13 am

actually, i checked the rate that grand hyatt more than 500$ while the two andaz are 300$ around...
Don't be fooled by the high rate at the GH NY, it is not an indication of the hotel's quality. The GH is a large, mediocre at best convention hotel. At the $500 level there are much better options in New York if you look around for deals at nicer hotels.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:25 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
If it's your first time in NYC the one benefit of the GH NY is the location is right on top of Grand Central station. If location matters to you than this may be a significant factor.

The Andaz Wall Street is sleek and modern, but way to far for tourists. I had to cab back and forth which took at least 20 mins to get anywhere centrally located.

I can't comment on Andaz 5th Ave, but this would certainly be my choice in the future because I like the Andaz brand and its location.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 7:44 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

GH is a servicable big hotel with a Grand Club - as people have said - great location midtown.

Andaz Wall St has been getting pretty good reviews but its location is not the best for tourists - its more geared towards business travelers who need to be "downtown".

5th Ave isn't open yet so no reviews. Location is very similar to GH since its only about 2 blocks away (5th and 42nd) rather than the GH's (Lexington and 42nd). I'd be inclined to go with 5th Ave myself unless reviews are absolutely horrendous.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by peteropny
GH is a servicable big hotel with a Grand Club - as people have said - great location midtown.

Andaz Wall St has been getting pretty good reviews but its location is not the best for tourists - its more geared towards business travelers who need to be "downtown".

5th Ave isn't open yet so no reviews. Location is very similar to GH since its only about 2 blocks away (5th and 42nd) rather than the GH's (Lexington and 42nd). I'd be inclined to go with 5th Ave myself unless reviews are absolutely horrendous.
Plus1!^
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with Peter on this, and if the Andaz 5th Ave is cheaper it would definitely be a no-brainer to try it.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 12:13 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Agree with Peter on this, and if the Andaz 5th Ave is cheaper it would definitely be a no-brainer to try it.
I've got some FFN days that I'll be redeeming on 1-2 August. Hope the soft opening before that is successful and I won't be beta testing the hotel!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Currently at Grand Hyatt NYC using the FFN certs. As a platinum I got upgraded to Grand Club Floor after requesting it. My room on 31st floor is nothing to write home about. It is the smallest room I have ever been in any of the US based hotels. The carpet and bath room floor has stains and the hotel badly needs remodeling. TV reception is very bad. I will not pay $350+/night at this hotel if I am paying.

Staff is fine. I can't complain much since the hotel gave me the upgrade to the Grand Club floor with access to lounge while using FFN certs . With kids it is a big a plus.

Location of the hotel is the best with easy walk to Time Square, Broadway etc. and also access to the subway. From LGA airport, I used Dial 7 limo service to the hotel and it cost me $34.50(inc toll).

Lounge has decent offerings for Breakfast, afternoon snacks and evening deserts. For those interested in alcohol, Beer is $5, Wine is $8 and cocktails are $9 in the lounge.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 11:08 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abraxis
I've got some FFN days that I'll be redeeming on 1-2 August. Hope the soft opening before that is successful and I won't be beta testing the hotel!
You will be, in my experience, opening pangs can easily last for six months. But don't let that put you off!
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny

The 5th ave is not opened?? but the room is on sale already. actually i am using the free night obtained from the big welcome, so can i redeem one night in 5th ave? and if it is not opened in the end of august, can i cancel it and make another reservation in grand hyatt?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:34 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

The 5th ave is not opened?? but the room is on sale already. actually i am using the free night obtained from the big welcome, so can i redeem one night in 5th ave? and if it is not opened in the end of august, can i cancel it and make another reservation in grand hyatt?
5th Ave is supposed to open on 7/5.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 9:43 pm

According to the website, Andaz 5th Ave is offering "preview rates" from July 5th. If you booked Andaz 5th Ave, you would be able to cancel your reservation and rebook at any other Hyatt. Also, if you booked it and for whatever reason the opening was delayed the hotel would surely walk you to another property.

The GH is also a good deal if you are staying on an FFN award. If you cannot get the Andaz on the dates you want, I would choose the GH for its central location, as this will be your first time in New York.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
According to the website, Andaz 5th Ave is offering "preview rates" from July 5th. If you booked Andaz 5th Ave, you would be able to cancel your reservation and rebook at any other Hyatt. Also, if you booked it and for whatever reason the opening was delayed the hotel would surely walk you to another property.

The GH is also a good deal if you are staying on an FFN award. If you cannot get the Andaz on the dates you want, I would choose the GH for its central location, as this will be your first time in New York.
for the free night reservation, I still need to put the credit card information when make the reservation:?
and even there is an amount of the overall rate。

Last edited by apollo_liumin; Jun 27, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.