Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Unbound Collection Santa Barbara (MarMonte) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unbound Collection Santa Barbara (MarMonte) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JackE
I don't see how that is helping the staff, regardless of what their base pay is.
Because the second hotels can document that housekeepers meet any given state's threshold for a tipped employee, this will be used against them. Tipping is a tool used to disempower classes of employees, and with hotels collecting all of the data via folios, it will be easy to prove how much they're getting and use it against them.

In some states, it means slashing their wages down to $2-3 per hour. In states that don't have a separate tipped minimum wage, it'll be used to basically fix their wages to the minimum level - even when the labor market for housekeeping services would otherwise command a higher pay.

California has better protections than some. As I understand it, they can't slash their wages to $2.13/hr (or whatever it is now) there. But in many states, that's exactly the endgame hotels are trying to drive towards.

If hotels had their way, they'd love for guests to pay for their rooms *and* pay additionally/separately for their labor costts.
janehoya and Adam1222 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Stayed here recently on a Sunday night - our room looks almost identical to photos from first one posted by Adam above (including the view!) It was 3rd floor right above one of the ballrooms so very quiet if there are no events though I hate being next to elevator. Normally I would immediately march back to front desk but it was only for 1 night and was afraid I would get something worse. Fortunately we did not notice any noise.

Mrs. B liked the room - I thought it was somewhat dated a la Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica. Always happy when it comes with a cold in room fridge and a balcony (though I would have preferred the patio pictured in Adam's second set of photos above).

The breakfast menu at the pool bar was unimpressive IMO - a bit limited - but $60 was more than sufficient for 2 and our bill was $0 as Globalist. No resort or parking fee either. The pool was packed Sunday afternoon but not so busy on Monday. This is maybe the only CA or CO property that I have in the past 3 years where I did not smell reefer in my hallway or on the grounds. Maybe we just got lucky, but it was a nice change not to have pot smoke everywhere.

One of the best things about the hotel is that it is right across from the beach and the beach bike path. We brought our bikes and rode out well past the SB pier and then back past the hotel going south. The hotel has bikes for guests though ours are better Also had a great dinner at an italian joint about 10 minutes drive - I will edit to add later.

The only real downside was the bathroom outside the ballroom was stopped up (#2) for the entire stay. Not impressive on the maintenance side.

Originally Posted by frudd38
Was a bit worried about the comments here and TA, but had a pretty solid weekend stay. Received a Deluxe upgrade proactively (albeit facing a wall), which was much better than expected. They had balcony rooms upon check in (no ocean) but wanted to charge for that additional upgrade (only Discoverist). I liked this room much better than the one cat upgraded room at Kimpton.

Street parking plentiful with no time restrictions (except Mon or Tue sweeping) as the previous poster mentioned, thank you.
Large bathroom with a nicely upgraded walk in shower.
Room service had to be ordered adhoc (not allowed night before), but the food was excellent and arrived promptly.
Did not use the pool but saw it was quite packed.
Bottle of red wine in lieu of house keeping was pretty good.
2pm checkout granted via text without pushback.

Only downside is the distance to downtown, which can be an upside for some.
Concur with all of the above, we had no pushback on the late checkout either.

This is still a good deal at 20k points and I think we will probably revisit next summer. Just sorry I couldn't use a free night cert before it bumped up to Cat 5.
Forgot how nice Santa Barbara is - like an oasis between the hellhole that is now San Francisco and the mess at Venice Beach.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:35 am

Any recent stays? Curious if restaurants are still operating inside and outside with Omicron, etc. Weather is looking good for a weekend trip!
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So far have not heard of any California restaurants shutting down due to the latest wave. Some businesses and counties continue to require vax cards (biting my tongue) and masks in gyms. Most places with outdoor seating continue to offer that option, with heat lamps when needed.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you want a cool outdoor restaurant a short walk from this hotel, check out Convivo at the Santa Barbara Inn. Interesting/diverse menu and a unique patio with just a hint of a European garden vibe.

(They have indoor space too.)
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:29 pm

Hotel is now valet parking only. Kind of strange for during the week when it’s empty but makes sense on the super busy weekends.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
For the Globalist breakfast, do they still give you a daily coupon or is it handled differently? And are there any $ limits? TIA.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
For the Globalist breakfast, do they still give you a daily coupon or is it handled differently? And are there any $ limits? TIA.
$30 per person but very loosely enforced. I ordered more some days and it was never added to my bill.
Infinite1K likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:02 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
Planning a four night stay here in October. We would prefer not to rent a car (would rather just walk and Lyft when necessary). What are some dining options and sights within walking distance?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsnearline
Planning a four night stay here in October. We would prefer not to rent a car (would rather just walk and Lyft when necessary). What are some dining options and sights within walking distance?
The pier, Brophy’s Seafood (A quality), and state street which has many shops and restaurants.
jsnearline likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Matt4200
The pier, Brophy’s Seafood (A quality), and state street which has many shops and restaurants.
In addition to Matt4200's recommendations, there is a fantastic restaurant next door to the Hyatt at a neighboring hotel (Convivo) and some world class restaurants down the road in Montecito on Coast Village (a long walk or short lyft ride): Sakana (sushi), Tre Lune (Italian), Lucky's (steakhouse), Oliver's (vegan), Bettina (italian/pizza), Honor Bar (eclectic), Jeannine's or Bree'osh (breakfast), etc. Side benefit in Montecito is celeb spotting.

And in addition to the obvious to dos (the beach/ocean), there is a decent zoo very close to the Hyatt and the resort fee covers bike rentals, Saturday beach yoga, lobby wine tasting, etc.

Walk further and you have State Street, the pier, the Funk Zone (great restaurants and wine tasting), or relive the cold war at the Reagan Library.

Or take a lyft to the Mission, Lotusland Botanical Gardens (reservations required), hike at the Douglas Preserve (or many other places), etc.

Or rent a car for the day and visit Los Olivos, Carpinteria, Solvang, or another one of the cute local towns each with their own charm.
jsnearline likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by american2020
In addition to Matt4200's recommendations, there is a fantastic restaurant next door to the Hyatt at a neighboring hotel (Convivo) and some world class restaurants down the road in Montecito on Coast Village (a long walk or short lyft ride): Sakana (sushi), Tre Lune (Italian), Lucky's (steakhouse), Oliver's (vegan), Bettina (italian/pizza), Honor Bar (eclectic), Jeannine's or Bree'osh (breakfast), etc. Side benefit in Montecito is celeb spotting.

And in addition to the obvious to dos (the beach/ocean), there is a decent zoo very close to the Hyatt and the resort fee covers bike rentals, Saturday beach yoga, lobby wine tasting, etc.

Walk further and you have State Street, the pier, the Funk Zone (great restaurants and wine tasting), or relive the cold war at the Reagan Library.

Or take a lyft to the Mission, Lotusland Botanical Gardens (reservations required), hike at the Douglas Preserve (or many other places), etc.

Or rent a car for the day and visit Los Olivos, Carpinteria, Solvang, or another one of the cute local towns each with their own charm.
Going out on the water is a pretty good option as well dolphin and whale watching.
jsnearline likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Mar Monte is a bit of a walk from the Funk Zone and State St but worth it. East Beach Tacos is around the corner at the batting cages. Up Milpas are some of the best Mexican places in town including Julia Childs favorite.
jsnearline and olouie like this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Finished a one night stay on points celebrating our anniversary.

We checked in early around 1pm. Front desk agent was not friendly at all. I was barely acknowledged. No mention of globalist benefits, or anything for that matter. He clearly wanted me out of his view.
Valet only, but service was fast and friendly.

To our happy surprise we were updated to a balcony room with an ocean view. Not sure on the exact room type, but it was spacious.
I thought the room was nicely decorated and we enjoyed the bed quite a bit.

Being across the street from SB beach was very much appreciated. While we didn't pack for a beach day, as we had other plans, we still liked having the sand between our toes.
Having never ventured south of the 101 much in SB before, we found ourselves liking the area and hotel grounds.

Had a light breakfast at Costa, nothing special there.

While attempting to ask for noon checkout, I blurted out 1pm and the FDA mentioned no checkout past noon available. I didn't push back since that's what I wanted, but again some service issues here.
Our check-in experience was so off-putting that I ended up checking out from my phone. Bill was received a few hours later and breakfast and parking charges were removed.

Would be back again, though mostly for the area. I would consider an alternate hotel if possible.

Old Oct 3, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by kevinjm
Finished a one night stay on points celebrating our anniversary.

We checked in early around 1pm. Front desk agent was not friendly at all. I was barely acknowledged. No mention of globalist benefits, or anything for that matter. He clearly wanted me out of his view.
Valet only, but service was fast and friendly.

To our happy surprise we were updated to a balcony room with an ocean view. Not sure on the exact room type, but it was spacious.
I thought the room was nicely decorated and we enjoyed the bed quite a bit.

Being across the street from SB beach was very much appreciated. While we didn't pack for a beach day, as we had other plans, we still liked having the sand between our toes.
Having never ventured south of the 101 much in SB before, we found ourselves liking the area and hotel grounds.

Had a light breakfast at Costa, nothing special there.

While attempting to ask for noon checkout, I blurted out 1pm and the FDA mentioned no checkout past noon available. I didn't push back since that's what I wanted, but again some service issues here.
Our check-in experience was so off-putting that I ended up checking out from my phone. Bill was received a few hours later and breakfast and parking charges were removed.

Would be back again, though mostly for the area. I would consider an alternate hotel if possible.

Definitely a glowing review compared to their 3.5 star average.

They’ve done a lot of renovations so it’s good you could take advantage.

One thing puzzles me though as you mentioned waived parking and breakfast I would assume you’re a Globalist. I’ve researched and this isn’t a “Resort Property” (seems fairly obvious but when properties like Hyatt Place Moab are considered a “Resort Property” you have to triple check sadly) meaning you should have easily been able to get a 4pm checkout. Sorry they had a bad FDA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.