Community
Wiki Posts
Search

hyatt.com promotion award beware

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:02 am
Original Poster

hyatt.com promotion award beware

I tried to book a Big Welcome Back Promotion award on-line with the Park Hyatt in Paris and 3 room types came up as available. I booked the room using the redeem book now link provided and it went through. When I received my confirmation it showed a room night charge of $590Eur.

I called Hyatt.com and said there was a mistake and she told me the hotel was sold out and that because I was a platinum member, it guaranteed me a room and charged the fee.

Now nowhere in the on-line booking process did it say the hotel was sold out and that they would only book a paying room.

Seems very misleading to me. I canceled the room as I'm disappointed that Hyatt can sell me a room but not book a promotional award for the same night.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

This is a known technical glitch - when the room types come up - it must be accompanied by something like "BWB Redemption Room" (or something similar) - with absolutely no cash price associated. When redemption rooms are not available, something with a cash price could be shown.

Award nights are based upon availability of the "base" entry room and draw from the same inventory. You're are booking into the guaranteed elite availability rate which basically is an "oversell" rate.

While I'm disappointed that the technical glitch still exists, I have no problem with the underlying rationale (if they do an elite "force" for an award room - its very possible that they will have to "walk" another paying guest to a comparable property which is very costly for the property).
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's tricky to spot, but it is there:

This is what I get when I check Vendome for July 2, a date that is sold out:

Guar Available Park Queen View Room
BOOK
Rate Details
Guar Available Park Twin
BOOK
Rate Details

And this is what I get for a late August booking:

Gold Passport Promo Award Park Queen View Room
BOOK
Rate Details
Gold Passport Promo Award Park Twin
BOOK
Rate Details

Unfortunately, you only find out the price when you get all the way to confirmation - if you are alert enough to realize that you have just booked yourself a Diamond guarantee room. I consider myself a sophisticated Hyatt guest, but I have been caught by this as well.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:12 am

I just call them to reserve free nights to avoid confusion
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:37 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by spacelucky
I just call them to reserve free nights to avoid confusion
Not a bad idea - but don't forget that if you want a "block" of dates and they tell you not available, ask them to check one night at a time.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
Not a bad idea - but don't forget that if you want a "block" of dates and they tell you not available, ask them to check one night at a time.
Great idea, when I called to reserve 4 days using BWB at the PH Hamburg, the agent at first said "not available", asked him to reserve one day at a time, and it worked fine. Tried to book online first and no go.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:29 am

Apparently for software setting reasons the BWB is searched ( even by H agents) and reserved one night at the time.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:33 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Originally Posted by danray
I tried to book a Big Welcome Back Promotion award on-line with the Park Hyatt in Paris and 3 room types came up as available. I booked the room using the redeem book now link provided and it went through. When I received my confirmation it showed a room night charge of $590Eur.

I called Hyatt.com and said there was a mistake and she told me the hotel was sold out and that because I was a platinum member, it guaranteed me a room and charged the fee.

Now nowhere in the on-line booking process did it say the hotel was sold out and that they would only book a paying room.

Seems very misleading to me. I canceled the room as I'm disappointed that Hyatt can sell me a room but not book a promotional award for the same night.
Hi danray,

I wanted to first apologize for your inconvience, and second assure you we are currently looking into the website booking issue.

We really do appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will make sure to keep you informed of our progress, we are looking into this at the highest level, as our guests concerns are our primary concern.

Geoff B.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Hyatt.com

I have to say that without this site (flyertalk) , I would never have figured out the Hyatt.com site in a million years. I've found that dealing with 1-800 hyatt a problem as well but have had success dealing with the staff at the hotel directly. They are very responsive and I fell sorry that they have to get stuck with a problem not created by them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.