FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   SAN ANTONIO HR vs GH (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1094692-san-antonio-hr-vs-gh.html)

derby44 Jun 11, 2010 9:24 am

SAN ANTONIO HR vs GH

It seems that the older Hyatt is directly on the Riverwalk and the Grand Hyatt not so close. Safety is my main concern--I will be alone (older/small build) and am wondering how safe the walk to and from the Grand Hyatt at all hours of the night would be. The GH is newer and has a nice RC. The price difference isn't great--please give me your thoughts and help me make a decision. Thanks very much for your feedback.

KWShark Jun 11, 2010 12:01 pm

You should be fine walking from the river to the Grand Hyatt as the area around the Riverwalk is generally fairly safe. Just keep your eyes and ears open as your normally would and you should be fine.

drnp Jun 11, 2010 1:53 pm

I wouldnt characterize the area as unsafe. Apply universal precautions (stick to well lit areas, dont walk around with your wallet open, etc) and you should be fine. The area of the GH is mostly convention buisness. Plus, the GH has access to the riverwalk near its restaurant downstairs. So you would not have to walkl on the downtown streets to access the riverwalk if you did not want to.

The GH is a large and new hotel. I found the customer service to be top notch when I was last there.

Driving by DCA Jun 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by derby44 (Post 14116133)
It seems that the older Hyatt is directly on the Riverwalk and the Grand Hyatt not so close. Safety is my main concern--I will be alone (older/small build) and am wondering how safe the walk to and from the Grand Hyatt at all hours of the night would be. The GH is newer and has a nice RC. The price difference isn't great--please give me your thoughts and help me make a decision. Thanks very much for your feedback.

Both hotels are accessible from the Riverwalk. The older Regency is closer to the action while the Grand is down a ways toward the convention center.

Safety shouldn't be an issue at either but if you are the type to stay out late at night, the walk back to the Grand from the bars is fairly long and could be a little lonely once the convention area settles down. Not a big deal for me as a younger male, but I could see it troubling a woman travelling alone.

If you'll be back at the hotel by a sensible hour, it shouldn't be a problem.

Now an unsolicited opinion...I think the Grand is a bit of a sterile and boring convention hotel. The Regency is definitely on the older side, but I think it has more character and is more in touch with downtown San Antonio.

JIMCHI Aug 25, 2010 7:21 pm

I saw an ad for the Grand Hyatt. It shows a boat full of people. Does a water taxi or something similar stop right at the hotel? If so, is it expensive?

pyranha Aug 25, 2010 7:31 pm

There is both a taxi and tour boat in the area. I believe the Rio water taxi does stop at the Grand Hyatt. It is $5.00 one way or $10.00 for 24hrs. It operates from 9am to 9pm.

roadwarrior365 Aug 25, 2010 9:14 pm

The GH is the better of the two in term of service, but the HR has the better location in the middle of the Riverwalk. If you dont mind the little walk stay at the GH.

JIMCHI Aug 25, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks for the responses. We decided to stay at the Grand rather than the HR because of a number of poor reviews of the HR on TripAdvisor. Many complaints about noise from both the Riverwalk and between rooms.

DFWFairy Oct 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Anyone knows if:
1. the Grand Hyatt has a Regency Club that opens on wknds?

2. what sort of room upgrades do Diamonds get?

Thanks.

thumbelina Oct 27, 2010 2:20 am

problems with hot water @ GH San Antonio

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt each December since it opened. The first time it had not been open that many months and I changed between two or three rooms neither of which had hot water and finally gave up.

When I returned last year as a Platinum (I am now Diamond thanks to FT's help with the instant diamond info) they were still unable to give me a room wih hot water despite my changing rooms once or twice and having maintenance up to "fix" the problem.

A member of staff later admitted to me that they had been unable to solve the problem even a year later.

I don't know if it is a problem with a certain wing or the entire hotel. But it has plagued my stays there--I have to stay there to utilize a mobility cart to get to.around the convention center. It is the only hotel with direct access for a mobility cart to the convention center.

I would peruse online reviews and see if others are still experiencing problems getting hot water there.

air- Oct 29, 2010 7:59 am

Originally Posted by DFWFairy (Post 15020393)
Anyone knows if:

Thanks.

Stayed at GH in July.

1. Yes, it's open on weekends.

2. Used a cert and got put in a Hospitality Suite. Not sure what you'd get without using one.

DealDetective Oct 29, 2010 9:33 am

Originally Posted by DFWFairy (Post 15020393)
Anyone knows if:

Thanks.

In my experience, the Regency Club has been open on weekends.

Every time we have stayed there (as Diamonds) they have upgraded us to a suite, even on New Year's Eve, without our asking or using a suite upgrade certificate.

I noticed that they are offering a suite upgrade (R3) through 11/30/10.

Crazyhotelguy Jun 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by thumbelina (Post 15021610)
I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt each December since it opened. The first time it had not been open that many months and I changed between two or three rooms neither of which had hot water and finally gave up.

When I returned last year as a Platinum (I am now Diamond thanks to FT's help with the instant diamond info) they were still unable to give me a room wih hot water despite my changing rooms once or twice and having maintenance up to "fix" the problem.

A member of staff later admitted to me that they had been unable to solve the problem even a year later.

I don't know if it is a problem with a certain wing or the entire hotel. But it has plagued my stays there--I have to stay there to utilize a mobility cart to get to.around the convention center. It is the only hotel with direct access for a mobility cart to the convention center.

I would peruse online reviews and see if others are still experiencing problems getting hot water there.

Instant Diamond info? All I can find are challenges... Do share:)

Crazyhotelguy Jun 22, 2011 2:22 pm

Any recent reviews of these hotels? I am going in July and currently have a res at each hotel for one night.

JIMCHI Jun 22, 2011 2:41 pm

I stayed at the GH about 3 weeks ago. I used a Diamond Suite Upgrade and was given a Hospitality Suite. This was a standard room connected to a very large living/dining area with additional full bath.

Had no problems with hot water, nor did friends who were staying in another room on a higher floor. The only problem I had was the room key kept getting de-activated. I thought the hotel had a good location at the tail end of a section of the Riverwalk. While it was quiet, there don't seem to be any rooms with views of the Riverwalk.

Stayed on an AAA breakfast rate and the breakfasts were delicious. Could choose anything on the menu. Hotel staff were great. Rooms Manager was out in the lobby introducing himself to arriving guests when I checked-in. Very personable fellow.

The Club was quite nice, but also lacked much of a view of anything. Wonderful staff there and very good offerings in the evening.

Walked by the HR a couple of times and also saw it from a distance. It is an older hotel and is not as attractive from the outside. I could see where noise from the Riverwalk could be a problem in some rooms. I had read some complaints about that on TripAdvisor as well as in reviews on this forum, so stayed at the GH instead. Location wise, the HR is right in the middle of things on the Riverwalk whereas the GH is about a simple 10 minute walk along the riverwalk.

Please ask if I can give any more information.