Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Residence Club Sedona Piñon Pointe AZ REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Residence Club Sedona Piñon Pointe AZ REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Correct. HRCs (and some others) do not have to offer upgrade to globs as a benefit. But they can, if they want to. That’s why I said they were sticking with their policies and NOT upgrading.
I'm not expecting a complimentary upgrade as a globalist, but wondering if they will throw in a discounted paid upgrade since we will likely have to move to a different lodging option if not. I will call the hotel but thought I'd see if there was any data on it here first.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO pretty much all the Sedona properties offer a very poor price/quality ratio. We use VRBO. For the same (or lower) price as the Hyatt, you can get a really nice 2 or 3 bedroom home with a view.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO pretty much all the Sedona properties offer a very poor price/quality ratio. We use VRBO. For the same (or lower) price as the Hyatt, you can get a really nice 2 or 3 bedroom home with a view.
Agree. I stayed here a short while ago on the public timeshare presentation offer, so with the bonus points the net cost to me was about $200 for 3 nights. Honestly, I would not pay regular rates here, be it cash or points. The location is decent, close to Soldier's pass trails, fairly close to shops and restaurants both north and south of the property. The hot tubs were good too, although the pool was an eyesore under construction. It's a shame their base studios all face the courtyard and no view.

I inquired about breakfast when checking in, and the FD said they don't have F&B here. Turns out they offer complimentary coffee in the "activities" house in the mornings, 7-11am, the one close to the hot tubs. I wouldn't have known if I didn't go there to pick up robes and towels to use at the hot tubs. Seems odd they didn't mention it at check in, even when prompted about breakfast. Worked great to fill up a thermos before heading out for a morning hike.

The rooms are in ok condition, but quite dated. We got take out one night and ate at the small table by the couch, it's a very unstable piece, super easy to rattle it enough to spill your drinks.

The timeshare presentation was fairly low pressure. In a funny twist the agent herself told us this cannot compete with our set up in terms of how much we are paying for some of the vacation rentals (e.g. $130 per night all in for a mid week winter stay in a 1br in Tahoe). She wanted to shut it down right there, and I felt awkward and kind of wanted to say, oh it's not so bad, I can see how it could make sense for some people... A bit of a reverse psychology going on. Basically, they didn't do anything crazy to push us to buy.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
What prices are they quoting these days for a timeshare with annual use at this property?
Old Feb 17, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
I'm not expecting a complimentary upgrade as a globalist, but wondering if they will throw in a discounted paid upgrade since we will likely have to move to a different lodging option if not. I will call the hotel but thought I'd see if there was any data on it here first.
I was responding to the part of your query re an “unpaid” upgrade as globalist, which to me sounds like a complimentary one.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Correct. HRCs (and some others) do not have to offer upgrade to globs as a benefit. But they can, if they want to. That’s why I said they were sticking with their policies and NOT upgrading.
I was responding to your claim that they are “not honoring glob benefit”. This will only apply if the benefit is there to start with.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
What prices are they quoting these days for a timeshare with annual use at this property?
They are selling packages of points at $30 per point, with a bit over $1 per point annual maintenance fee, and during lowest season a studio at this property is 35 points per day, while a 1br is 70 points per day. During high season it can be 2-3x that.

They have a complex spreadsheet of how much it costs during which dates and for how long at each property. Way to complicated for me to bother.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 8:00 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by martzipan
They are selling packages of points at $30 per point, with a bit over $1 per point annual maintenance fee, and during lowest season a studio at this property is 35 points per day, while a 1br is 70 points per day. During high season it can be 2-3x that.

They have a complex spreadsheet of how much it costs during which dates and for how long at each property. Way too Youcomplicated for me to bother.
You could buy on the resale market WAY cheaper.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by buzglyd
I’m aware of that. There was something on offer on the secondary market website for $2 per point. But even with that, it’s just way too niche for my taste.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
I’m aware of that. There was something on offer on the secondary market website for $2 per point. But even with that, it’s just way too niche for my taste.
Many who want to get into the HRC system buy Sedona because the price and maintenance fee is one of the best in the system. The HRC system is a bit limited though compared to Marriot and Hilton timeshare plans. Oddly Marriot Vacation Club owns HRC but it is treated as a separate system.
Old May 3, 2023, 1:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, United Silver, National Exec
Agree. I stayed here a short while ago on the public timeshare presentation offer, so with the bonus points the net cost to me was about $200 for 3 nights. Honestly, I would not pay regular rates here, be it cash or points. The location is decent, close to Soldier's pass trails, fairly close to shops and restaurants both north and south of the property. The hot tubs were good too, although the pool was an eyesore under construction. It's a shame their base studios all face the courtyard and no view.
Did your stay result in elite night credited?
Old Jun 1, 2023, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Will be staying here next month using soon-to-expire timeshare points, will report back.

Yes we paid $3500 for resale week for HHS Lake Tahoe and it has actually increased in value if redweek pricing is accurate.

Many who want to get into the HRC system buy Sedona because the price and maintenance fee is one of the best in the system. The HRC system is a bit limited though compared to Marriot and Hilton timeshare plans. Oddly Marriot Vacation Club owns HRC but it is treated as a separate system.
For sure this is a good strategy and in restrospect I wish we had purchased a Platinum resale at Sedona rather than Gold at HHS. It is worth paying a little more up front as it opens up better exchange options within the system. There is no benefit to buying in your home resort particularly if you plan to use your points piecemeal (as we do). We have never once actually used our deeded week.

While Hyatt has a small footprint compared to Marriott/Westin, it is a great system if you are a skier.

Originally Posted by River in Sight
We arrived around 3PM to check-in and were upgraded to a one-bedroom suite, which I think is very nice. It's probably around 600 square feet, very livable, it reminded me of a slightly smaller version of the first apartment I had out of college. There is a large terrace, but we don't have a view of anything in particular - we're mostly looking at the pool complex, which also has the gym and two grills. We were also given two coupons for free wine which we haven't used yet. One note is the lobby is only staffed 7AM-11PM - I'm not sure what the protocol is if you arrive late.

The hotel's location is great, it's walkable to so many of the shops and restaurants in Sedona. We enjoyed Sedona Beer Company last night. The room was absolutely quiet and although the studio that's paired with our room is occupied, we heard no noise at all except right at the front door. Three packets of laundry detergent were in the room for the washing machine. There is no daily housekeeping.

The night sky is stunning; living right outside DC I'm used to seeing just a handful of stars in the sky at night - I don't think I've ever seen so many stars in my life as I saw last night from our terrace. Since Sedona has a "dark sky" policy the room has a flashlight you can take with you if you go out walking at night.

I drove up from Tempe Mission Palms and stopped at Montezuma Castle along the way, which I thought was really worthwhile and recommend it. We also stopped at Chapel of the Holy Cross which I also thought was really worthwhile, it's just a stunning setting. What surprised me is the traffic from Chapel of the Holy Cross to the Hyatt was basically at a standstill on a Sunday afternoon, it's only around 3 miles on 179 but probably took 30-40 minutes or more... I am not sure if this is routine but I didn't spot any particular cause.

The main outdoor pool is not currently heated. It is open, but you'd have to be very hearty to swim in it and no one was using it yesterday. I'm not sure if it's a maintenance issue or another reason. There are two hot tubs that are heated, and there's a very small (18" depth) kiddie pool that is also heated. My son is way too large for the kiddie pool but regardless had a great time in it.

Great review thanks! That is good news on the upgrade. IME HRC treats owners better than hotel elites, but we will see.

FYI most properties typically have a system for arrivals after 11pm. You get a package from security or the like. Hopefully pool will be warm in July
River in Sight likes this.

Last edited by Boraxo; Jun 13, 2023 at 11:44 am
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:03 am

Has anyone managed to get a booking here using WoH points around Christmas/New Year? And if so what time of year did you book? I'm getting the "Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates" searching 12/26 - 12/29. Curious if they'll ever open up this slot for points bookings or if it's just always a blackout period.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by megbert_
Has anyone managed to get a booking here using WoH points around Christmas/New Year? And if so what time of year did you book? I'm getting the "Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates" searching 12/26 - 12/29. Curious if they'll ever open up this slot for points bookings or if it's just always a blackout period.
That is typically a Platinum/Diamond week at HRC resorts as owners paid a much higher price to buy week 51 or 52. As a result, at most HRC it is very difficult to trade into that week, much less rent. Because the owners can rent them for more $$ than the maintenance fees.

That said if you are able to wait you may find excess inventory released <60 days of travel.
megbert_ likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
That is typically a Platinum/Diamond week at HRC resorts as owners paid a much higher price to buy week 51 or 52. As a result, at most HRC it is very difficult to trade into that week, much less rent. Because the owners can rent them for more $$ than the maintenance fees.

That said if you are able to wait you may find excess inventory released <60 days of travel.
Nice intel! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.