Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Panama City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD no longer Hyatt

Hyatt Place Panama City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD no longer Hyatt

Old May 14, 2010, 10:34 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Posts: 631
Hyatt Place Panama City REVIEW - MASTER THREAD no longer Hyatt

http://www.hyattpressroom.com/Displa...ID=4450772&ar=
Mad4Miles is offline  
Old May 14, 2010, 11:29 am
  #2  
Community Director Emerita
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Anywhere warm
Posts: 33,906
Nice find.

Slated to open in early 2012, the 167-room Hyatt Place Panama City will be located in the heart of Panama City’s financial district on Aquilino de la Guardia Avenue between 50th Street and Via Espana.

Hyatt Place Panama City is the first of three hotels planned for development in Panama, all of which will be owned by a joint venture between a Hyatt subsidiary and Immobiliare Real Estate Development. The second Hyatt Place in Panama, which will be located in Costa del Este, is expected to begin construction in 2011.


http://www.hyattpressroom.com/displa...compID=4450772
SanDiego1K is offline  
Old May 14, 2010, 11:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TPE/KHH/LAX
Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,147
Why Panama? You would think they would build more HP in Canada or Mexico first.
gijoe24jp is offline  
Old May 14, 2010, 11:36 am
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: Everything is refundable
Posts: 3,727
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Why Panama? You would think they would build more HP in Canada or Mexico first.
Panama City is growing like crazy and one of the main financial centers of the region, if not more already.
FD1971 is offline  
Old May 14, 2010, 11:38 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Posts: 17,323
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
Why Panama? You would think they would build more HP in Canada or Mexico first.
Maybe they are going where they can find a partner to build/finance these?
notquiteaff is offline  
Old May 14, 2010, 11:49 am
  #6  
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: CVG
Posts: 15,300
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Maybe they are going where they can find a partner to build/finance these?
Exactly - most hotels are not developed by the hotel company (eg Hyatt) but by developers / hotel investors. The hotel company simply puts its name on the property and sometimes take management (almost always in Hyatt cases) of the properties.

As usual, I'll put the disclaimer on this not to count on it until opening is imminent. Announcements such as this is often pre-mature.
peteropny is offline  
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:22 am
  #7  
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Egham, Surrey, UK
Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Posts: 3,416
I was in Panama last week and there is a lot of hotel construction going on. I believe there are 5 new Hilton family hotels including 2 Waldorfs opening over the next year or so. Other properties are being built by virtually every hotel chain so they must all see big opportunities there.

The HP is still at the skeletal stage - the floors are in place but thats it - I would say that it would be impossible for even the construction to be finished this year let alone fitted out.
BAGoldBoy is offline  
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:26 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 429
This hotel is opening November 15 of this year. Thinking of booking over Thanksgiving.
waygora is offline  
Old Aug 5, 2014, 2:03 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Posts: 256
Booked for October 1, 2014. Just got an email from Hyatt Service Desk, saying the hotel is delayed to October 15.
TravellerOnline is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:25 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 206
Can anyone please share their experiences at this resort? I'm also looking at the Radisson or Country Inn & Suites. Thanks!
christof is offline  
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:14 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 429
Hyatt Place Panama City - in 2012?

We stayed for two nights on Dec 30 and 31. We had a great experience. My girlfriend has the Hyatt CC so we're Platinum, and the front desk made a HUGE deal. We may have been the first guests with status, since it had just opened a couple weeks before (or at least the first guests with status that particular front desk agent had encountered). So if you're Diamond they might flip out :-D. They upgraded us to a corner on high floor which was actually really nice. Brand new room, great view. Breakfast included, it was a good combo of Panamanian food and American breakfast. They have a bar and snack bar in the lobby where you can buy food 24/7. There's a rooftop pool where we watched the fireworks for New Years. They also have self laundry on the top floor you can use as well.

They had a New Years dinner buffet when we were there, which was great. New hotel, so taxi at airport was a bit confused, so Spanish would help. Great area, nearby a highly rated dinner place with a culture dance show. Can't remember the name. Hotel will recommend a nearby Lebanese restaurant named Beruit, which we didn't go to since we obviously wanted Panamanian food :-). Also close to some casinos.

It's very close to the subway which is useful as well. They can get taxis for you for the airport, but we had to wait a very long time for it when we were leaving. Check out was a bit rough around the edges, some employees are still learning the ropes. It's about a 15 minute walk to the water, where the more luxury hotels are (IC etc).

Overall we loved it, and though 5K CAT1 was way undervaluing this hotel. It will probably be increased to CAT2 soon once they realize how good it is!
waygora is offline  
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:34 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Here and there
Programs: Hyatt Globalist,
Posts: 318
Smile

Originally Posted by waygora
We stayed for two nights on Dec 30 and 31. We had a great experience. My girlfriend has the Hyatt CC so we're Platinum, and the front desk made a HUGE deal. We may have been the first guests with status, since it had just opened a couple weeks before (or at least the first guests with status that particular front desk agent had encountered). So if you're Diamond they might flip out :-D. They upgraded us to a corner on high floor which was actually really nice. Brand new room, great view. Breakfast included, it was a good combo of Panamanian food and American breakfast. They have a bar and snack bar in the lobby where you can buy food 24/7. There's a rooftop pool where we watched the fireworks for New Years. They also have self laundry on the top floor you can use as well.

They had a New Years dinner buffet when we were there, which was great. New hotel, so taxi at airport was a bit confused, so Spanish would help. Great area, nearby a highly rated dinner place with a culture dance show. Can't remember the name. Hotel will recommend a nearby Lebanese restaurant named Beruit, which we didn't go to since we obviously wanted Panamanian food :-). Also close to some casinos.

It's very close to the subway which is useful as well. They can get taxis for you for the airport, but we had to wait a very long time for it when we were leaving. Check out was a bit rough around the edges, some employees are still learning the ropes. It's about a 15 minute walk to the water, where the more luxury hotels are (IC etc).

Overall we loved it, and though 5K CAT1 was way undervaluing this hotel. It will probably be increased to CAT2 soon once they realize how good it is!
Wonderful review.
Any one else stayed here lately? Planning to stay there for two nights next week. Any Hyatt Diamond stays? Thanks in advance..
siliconflyer is offline  
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:30 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Posts: 232
Originally Posted by siliconflyer
Wonderful review.
Any one else stayed here lately? Planning to stay there for two nights next week. Any Hyatt Diamond stays? Thanks in advance..
Was there in early September and will be again in a few nights. The review from waygora that you reference is spot on. Decent location though not as good as the Hilton and I.C. on waterfront. Very nice, new-build HP rooms with upgraded bathrooms (think separate enclosed room, not part of bedroom). Breakfast is as described: greater selection and better quality than a typical US HP. Staff earnest if slightly unpolished. As diamond was given high floor room though not a corner. Didn't visit pool area or use snack stand so can't attest to that. Would (and will) gladly stay again, though I think the Hilton is vastly superior for a nominally additional amount all things being equal (elite status). That's not a knock on the HP, more a compliment to the Hilton. Just don't expect a Grand Hyatt with a club lounge and you'll be fine. If you want that, head to the Hilton.
Windward Side of Life is offline  
Old Jan 13, 2016, 9:25 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: SFO
Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Posts: 7,477
For those who have stayed here, were there any issues with noise from the club across the street. Some of the tripadvisor reviews mention this. FWIW, we've requested a 'high floor' room.

5K points/night seems to be a pretty good value especially since you can select the larger corner rooms.

Thanks,
work2fly is offline  
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:48 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,304
Is there any dining option nearby the hotel? How can I go to this hotel from PTY airport?
anchor79 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.