Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House - Hartford/BDL - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2010, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Guess I'll be the first to report in on this fairly (less than one year) new property. It's a 7 story hotel one exit on highway from BDL. No eating establishments nearby, Hilton GI and Marriott nearby.
The room was fairly spacious, got upgraded from a studio suite to 1Bd Suite. Layout of bedroom was kind of odd with toilet/shower in one small room and sink in the main bedroom area. It was kind of odd, if you left the door open when using the facilities anyone on the bed could see "everything" through the double mirror closet door. Small SS microwave, 2 burner cooktop, dishwasher and fridge. Didn't have an icemaker (which was good since our experience at other SS had very noisy, slow icemakers) but did have a ice holder which we filled with ice from machine down the hall. There was laundry facilities on the 7th floor. Check in was quite slow, front desk didn't know much about HGP but after mentioning being Diamond we were able to get upgraded to 1Bd. Was nice to have 2 tvs. Hotel didn't seem full at all (parking lot fairly empty). The 2 computer terminals were in an open area off where breakfast was served and not in a small business room. Didn't see the exercise equipment. There was a pool and spa (out of service from sign at check in).
The next morning we had some problems at breakfast. Got downstairs an hour before closing and they were out of muffins, no yogurts, cut fruit looked pathetic (full of liquid and less than a cup left) that no one took. One banana left and apples wrapped in plastic. Asked the lone young man (college age I think). Pancakes would out, one sausage patty left in tray and 2 sickly eggs. Asked if things would be replenished and told sure. Waited about 30 minutes, more people came down. Told they were totally out of yogurts and muffins. This was the worst breakfast offered at a HP or SS that we've been to.... and we've been to about 10 in the last year. Went to the front desk and the girl couldn't believe it but couldn't leave the her post to check it out. She did offer for me to take some hot pockets from the overpriced kiosk. I say overpriced since we knew we'd have about $5 left over from our Costco certificate and were looking to see how we could us it, for candy bars etc. The reeses cups (2 pack) that we got for $1.05 in Waltham was $2 here and single serve ice creams were $3 a piece. Oh well, got one for daughter but hubby got nothing .
The shower pressure was fairly lacking, toilet flushed like one on a cruise ship (turbo flush) but the great thing here was NO PORTICO... they had le octaine shampoo, conditioner mini milk soap and verbena leave soap for shower. Saw them in the kioski for $7.95 each. Very nice change.
So all in all it was an OK stay (impulse MR), luckily got a decent corp. discounted weekend rate so total out of pocket was $80. Made us appreciate the great $95 rate at Hyatt Greenwich we got a 3 weeks ago on AAA breakfast rate (and no parking fee) where we got 6K in points.
If hubby needs stay credit and has an early flight out of BDL he'll stay here but I think we'll find someplace else to stay if we need to do a MR.
Old May 12, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
I had a stay 4/28/10 as a stopover en route to Boston. The AAA rate was $50 less than the Hilton Garden Inn across the street. Property is located in an office park. Its a brand new build. Check-in was uneventful. I was identified as a Diamond and offered 500 points or fruit/water. Of course, I took the points. I asked for an upgrade from my studio suite to a 1 bedroom - was denied despite the availability (I checked online from my room). I didn't press the issue. The room is fairly standard but happily surprised to see L'Occitane toiletries. The evening social is above average and much better than some Regency clubs. The night I was there, they offered a salad, and full pasta bar. They had a variety of sauces and meats for the pasta. The free beer is nice and they have 20 oz bottles of Pepsi products that can be taken to your room. Its a full course meal. Internet connection was fast and reliable. In the morning, a paper was delivered. I used costco certs to pay and it took the checkout girl 10 minutes to figure it out. All in all, I would stay again. I've come to believe that Summerfields are vastly superior to Hampton Inns and at par with Hilton Garden Inns but with a lower price point.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:56 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by hyattnjfan
I had a stay 4/28/10 as a stopover en route to Boston. The AAA rate was $50 less than the Hilton Garden Inn across the street. Property is located in an office park. Its a brand new build. Check-in was uneventful. I was identified as a Diamond and offered 500 points or fruit/water. Of course, I took the points. I asked for an upgrade from my studio suite to a 1 bedroom - was denied despite the availability (I checked online from my room). I didn't press the issue. The room is fairly standard but happily surprised to see L'Occitane toiletries. The evening social is above average and much better than some Regency clubs. The night I was there, they offered a salad, and full pasta bar. They had a variety of sauces and meats for the pasta. The free beer is nice and they have 20 oz bottles of Pepsi products that can be taken to your room. Its a full course meal. Internet connection was fast and reliable. In the morning, a paper was delivered. I used costco certs to pay and it took the checkout girl 10 minutes to figure it out. All in all, I would stay again. I've come to believe that Summerfields are vastly superior to Hampton Inns and at par with Hilton Garden Inns but with a lower price point.
Thanks for nice review. I am surprised the Hyatt room rate is less than the HGI. I was in the Hilton Garden Inn on a good priceline rate of $40+taxes & fees a few days later than you, but if next time I do not get the priceline bid I will consider the Hyatt is it seems a little bit better the the Hlton Garden Inn, but Hilton was still good.
Old May 13, 2010, 11:20 am
Original Poster

FYI Points Posting

Had a nice "surprise" when my points posted from 5/8 stay.
Booked a 2 bdd studio room (2 beds in profile) since it was a bit cheaper than 1bdr. and knew it wasn't going to be much smaller. At check in got upgraded (took a little bit of convincing w/Diamond schmooze) to a 1 Bd suite w/King bed. There's the G2 bonus here and asked for diamond amenity of points. Last night saw account and got points for stay, G2 2K bonus, 500 diamond amenity AND 2500 for bed preference as well as double points (didn't know there was any promotion for that). It was a fairly cheap rate ($84) to start with and paid with 2 Costco certs so received about 6K plus 1/2 BWB credit for $80 ai.
Gotta love Hyatt
Old May 28, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: DL 1MM, UA 1K, PC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marrott Silver
My family and I stayed there 5/21/2010. We were driving from the Poughkeepsie NY area to Boston and had some things we wanted to do in Widsor on Saturday so it seemed like a nice hotel to try. We got there about 7 PM and checked in. I noticed that they had given me a 1 BR King which would be my standard profile but I had made a reservation for a 2 bed room because I was travelling with my wife and two 6'+ sons. The front desk clerk got all flustered because she said that they did not have any two bed rooms available. But even without me pushing it, she got on the phone to a manager and ended up giving us two King mini-suites right across that hall from each other for no extra charge! I am a Diamond but I am not sure if that had anything to do with it. As I told her, mistakes happen but what matters is how well you take care of the problems when they occur so I was pleased and told her so.

Other comments on the hotel...
I was glad I had a GPS! It might have been hard to find without it and you can't see it at all until you are right on top of it.
Breakfast was acceptable but not great. Some items were low but nothing was completely out.
The hotel condition is still like new. I would reccomend it.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, CO Elite
The nice L'Occitane toiletries are a thing of the past. Spoke with the FD manager. When they went to re-order, they were told that was not the brand standard, and thus, we now have the wonderful Portico White Ginger.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Anyone stay at this hotel recently? AA is now flying direct to BDL and I booked this for an upcoming trip -- wondering if it is smarter to rent a car so I can spend the day sightseeing in Hartford (I know that could be an oxymoron)...
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
I have stayed there many times over the past 2 years.

Solid property, rooms are clean and well maintained. The only blemish is the staff manning the am and pm food offering. They leave a little to be desired.
Old May 14, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Just had a two night(second night because of cancelled flight)stay at this property.

If you want a quiet setting you cannot get much quieter than this. Beautiful-but pretty remote. I really loved it because it was just gorgeous at this time of year. I strongly advise renting a car if you are staying at this hotel-the nearby town of Windsor is well worth exploring.

Staff ranged from fantastic (Chris at the front desk and most of the other employees)to folks who should not be working in the hospitality business to folks who should not be employed at all.

Rooms were spotless,public areas were very clean.

Breakfast was very good. Hot foods as well as the regular spread of cold breakfast items. Coffee was wonderfully strong Evening spread was very good-and was a great treat when I missed my flight and would not have had any dinner otherwise.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Currently staying here. Ok property. Website still advertising evening social but FD indicates they stopped it several months ago.

Asked about Globalist upgrade. Response was since they only had one 2 bedroom left they were willing to sell it for half off. Pretty sure that was not in WOH terms.

WiFi limited to 2Mbps. Bathroom sink wasn't working. Garbage disposal wasn't working. Mattress springs worn out.

Breakfast ok. Soggy waffles. Watered down coffee. Omelet station available but liquid eggs in a box. Will try the Marriott across the street next time.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The 1 bedroom suite is quite spacious and has everything you expect from a HH. Shower booth is better than the shower/tub combo at HH Shelton.

Suite came with a big fridge, dishes, pots and pans and a dishwasher. A nice use of 5000 points but wouldn’t want to pay their ADR to stay. You can take your 2 Globalist waters from the fridge located near the front desk. They also let you substitute for soft drinks or juice.

Breakfast definitely took a hit from COVID with no omelette station and no plans to reintroduce it. The current items are your typical HH American breakfast items in eggs, waffles, sausage and bacon. I would rate the breakfast quality as poor.

Last edited by Aventine; Oct 23, 2022 at 2:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.