Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Aviara to become Park Hyatt

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Hyatt-....html?x=0&.v=1

Resort north of San Diego
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:13 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great news for us Hyatt folks! This is the property that was all messed up in bankruptcy proceedings with lots of lawsuits and such -- and apparently even lockouts. It's no wonder it couldn't survive without a name/brand change.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 6:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
The Friday evening seafood buffet dinner is a winner. All you can eat lobster!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Well... I know where I'm using a few FNA this August.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:15 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Great news. Now if only they would take over something good in NYC!
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by cozkay
Well... I know where I'm using a few FNA this August.
My thoughts exactly, now if I can just earn enough free nights I would love to take a nice long golf vacation splitting the nights between here and the St. Regis Monarch Beach with SPG nights. I don't know how I lived before I learned about all these free night promos.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:36 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
The hotel won't necessarily be eligible for this BWB promo. We'll have to see.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:37 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Great news for us Hyatt folks! This is the property that was all messed up in bankruptcy proceedings with lots of lawsuits and such -- and apparently even lockouts. It's no wonder it couldn't survive without a name/brand change.
For those unfamiliar, here is a nice little writeup on the situation.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:45 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's a gorgeous property. But isn't it big for a Park Hyatt? According to this chart it has 300 rooms plus 19 suites. The smallest suite starts at 1,130 sq ft.

Given the problems between the owners and the Four Seasons management team, I think this property will need a well respected Hyatt exec to come in and bring the Hyatt culture. I wonder who will be chosen.

By the way, for anyone who wants the closest airport, Carlsbad (CLD) is just two miles away.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 20, 2010 at 11:11 pm Reason: Added link to room count
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The smallest suite starts at 1,130 sq ft.
The executive suite is 855 sq ft.

http://www.fourseasons.com/aviara/gu...ive_suite.html

Even though FS considers the executive suite as a "guest room" and not a "suite", the executive suite by any travel industry standard is a genuine suite. As you can see from the room layout, the executive suite has a separate living room and bedroom, and not a combined living/sleeping area that some hotel chains call a "junior" suite.

If Hyatt allows Diamond confirmed suite upgrades to be used at this resort, I would bet that the executive suite would be the category that will be confirmed.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Awesome news...thanks OP! ^

I've enjoyed the Sheraton Carlsbad resort (one of the few Sheratons I actually like), but the Aviara will certainly draw me away from SPG further. It's a very luxurious and inviting property with a terrific golf course albeit at a much steeper price. Fingers crossed that the mgmt deal will be consummated. This property will prove to be a hot FFN redemption spot.

I used to stay mainly at SPG properties when visiting the San Diego area, but I gotta say that Hyatt has been kicking #$% in the area recently! With the renovation of the Mission Bay property (bye bye Sheraton SD Hotel & Marina), addition of former Hotel Ivy as the Andaz San Diego (bye bye W) and now the likely addition of Park Hyatt Aviara (bye bye Sheraton Carlsbad)...WOW!!!

Way to go Hyatt!!!

BTW, poor FS Aviara Residence Club owners. I wonder if FS will retain mgmt of these timeshares?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter

I used to stay mainly at SPG properties when visiting the San Diego area, but I gotta say that Hyatt has been kicking #$% in the area recently! With the renovation of the Mission Bay property (bye bye Sheraton SD Hotel & Marina), addition of former Hotel Ivy as the Andaz San Diego (bye bye W) and now the likely addition of Park Hyatt Aviara (bye bye Sheraton Carlsbad)...WOW!!!

Way to go Hyatt!!!
Ditto !! ^

Even though the Andaz SD is nothing to write home about.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Another (high) quality addition to one of the most important markets in the US, however one where Hyatt was not necessarily strong, especially quality-wise.

I have to agree with some previous posters that they upped the ante in San Diego in recent months. ^

Aside from a relatively poor presence in San Francisco and LA, I also never really felt that Hyatt is really strong ( speaking of quality ) in San Diego. The Manchester Grand always received mixed reviews and the recent funding of its owner for activities against, what one should consider, basic human rights did also not help its course. I am happy to read the very positive reports about Mission Bay as well.

Andaz gives us an upbeat option in the Gaslamp quarter and Aviara will give us another resort south of Huntington Beach.

Since they have fixed the situation in San Diego, I hope both LA and SFO will be next.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
It's a gorgeous property. But isn't it big for a Park Hyatt? According to this chart it has 300 rooms plus 19 suites. The smallest suite starts at 1,130 sq ft.

Given the problems between the owners and the Four Seasons management team, I think this property will need a well respected Hyatt exec to come in and bring the Hyatt culture. I wonder who will be chosen.

By the way, for anyone who wants the closest airport, Carlsbad (CLD) is just two miles away.
Indeed and that will be pretty challenging and was probably one of the points ( rightfully or not ) that the owners blaimed Four Seasons for.

Four Seasons made headlines in Germany, because they left the Four Seasons Berlin some years ago. They felt that they cannot hold the usual FS standards in the low yield market Berlin. On a side note, FS Berlin was voted 'Best in town' in various publications, even ahead of the Adlon Kempinski, a truly iconic hotel.

I guess that they used to run the property with the amount of personel a Four Seasons and AAA 5 Diamond hotel is known for, however a quantity that does not really fit into the environment of the last couple of years. It will be interesting to see how they continue to operate the resort. All comparable Hyatt resorts in the US are rated AAA 4 Diamond and considering the additional requirements to get the fifth Diamond, it will be a challenge, Aviara will have 50 % more rooms than the Park Dubai, another huge and difficult to operate 'resort'.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I am sure that the hotell will be filled up with .........s redeeming their promotional free nights.

Agreed that it is rather big for a Park Hyatt. So Hyatt is willing to cut corners where Four Season wasn't?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.