Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt for the Single Traveler

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Hyatt for the Single Traveler

I'm looking to use up 7 NBT nights (either all at one property or possibly two back-to-back trips) and I will be most likely travelling solo.

Does anyone have suggestions on properties good for the single traveler...male, mid-30's? I'm based out of Florida, but am relatively open to location.

I'm especially looking for a hotel with great service and in a fun destination where people are social, etc. (not so much an all couples atmosphere), with one or more of the following:

1) Great on-site amenities (pool, beach, close to nightlife, etc)
2) Good weather this time of year
3) Proximity to active sports (hiking, biking, watersports, etc)

Some possibilities I've been looking at...

Aruba
Scottsdale
Key West
San Diego

Any suggestions/ideas?

Fire_Fly
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Personally i think i would say San Diego or Aruba. It totally depends on what ype of vacation you are looking for. They are pretty different.

San Diego is just an amazing city and there is tons that you can do and see. Aruba would be the typical tropical island relaxing vacation experience with gambling. San Diego has more to offer if you are looking for less relaxing more exciting city type vacation. SD also has amazing bars or catch a ball game or do both at the marriott gas lamp quarter rooftop bar
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
San Diego is a great city (was just there two weekends ago). The Andaz is not and I would not recommend it based upon the stay I had there for 2 nights.

As a solo traveller myself I would look at using the nights in Paris, London, Sydney, or Tokyo. Places where you might not visit or stay in the expensive hotels.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
What is your criteria for a single traveller trip ?

Agree with the Andaz SD review, I went there while staying at the Hyatt Mission Bay last week to get a little tour. It seemed to be a bit crammed and overall not very nice, very dark and no view except from the pool where I dont want to know how it looks like when the rooftop is full with people.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:16 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Scottsdale has a great singles scene, but the Hyatt Regency Gainey Ranch is a family/couples property - albeit very nice. Its a quick cab ride into old town where you can walk between all the bars and there are plenty of options for a male in his mid-thirties. If you want to avoid the cab ride, there is a HP right in the middle of old town, stumbling distance from the best bars. But seems like a waste to use NBTs at an HP. I'd probably take the HR Gainey, the cab ride and hope for an upgrade. Odds are you can probably talk someone into giving you a ride back to your hotel.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 4:13 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
There are lots, IMO... Of the ones you list, I would say Key West. Out the door, and there's Mallory Square and Duval St. You don't have to do anything, and there's fun. Or not, if you just want to hang out by the pool or swim in the gulf. Similarly, in some respects, San Antonio on the Riverwalk. Fun right out the door. Believe it or not, this time of year, I'd say PH in Georgetown, DC. Sorry, not exactly what you said you're looking for, but still tons to do, including good nightlife. And you can walk your feet off, or not. Pleasantly, this time of year. Cancun is an easy hop for you. Huge singles scene, and the night life might knock your socks off. But daytime, it could be pretty hot by the time you do it, as with Aruba.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:37 am

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
Key West is fun - 7 days may be a bit long though, and it gets HOT in the spring/summer...maybe combo of Key West and Miami?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I've been to Aruba before as a solo traveler and I find it quite nice. The Hyatt there is nice but not over-the-top outstanding.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:45 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I wouldn't recommend Aruba, personally. I think the island itself is really boring and as a single traveler, I think you will be surrounded by honeymooners, couples, families, etc. Plus in the summer, it will be incredibly hot there. And seven days is a long time to spend there, since it's a pretty small island.

I find that cities are better for solo travelers rather than resort destination, unless you have a specific activity in mind. For example, I play a lot of tennis, and there are loads of tennis players in Florida and in Scottsdale and lots of pros for hire as well.

Out of your suggestions, I would say Scottsdale (although, Scottsdale will be really hot too in the summer) or San Diego. Personally, I don't really care for San Diego itself. Also, you might want to keep in mind that you would probably need a car in Scottsdale or San Diego.

If you want to consider another city, you might want to consider the Park Hyatt Chicago. Chicago is great in the summer with lots of stuff going on--music festivals, Taste of Chicago, etc and you're right near the lake.

There's always New York too. Hopefully the Andaz 5th Avenue will be open by then.

Last edited by thc; Apr 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Fire_Fly
I'm looking to use up 7 NBT nights (either all at one property or possibly two back-to-back trips) and I will be most likely travelling solo.

Does anyone have suggestions on properties good for the single traveler...male, mid-30's?

Any suggestions/ideas?

Fire_Fly

Skip the US properties and head to Asia!

So many fine properties and so much fun to be had.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL HH
The Single Life!

I remember it well. Before I had my beautiful wife and two lovely daughters I used to take short trips to Cancun as a single fellow. It's been a few years and I hear it's changed a bit - but it was a great time when I used to go. I love the people there, very friendly and everything's cheap. If you enjoy reading a book poolside all day, and drinking all night I vote for Cancun Mexico. And you don't need a car - for about $0.50 you can ride the bus that runs up and down the strip.

7 days is probably too long, I'd do 4 in Cancun and 3 in Key West. Key West is relatively small; you'll get bored after 3 days. If you do Key West and you want a great meal hit Louies Backyard www.louiesbackyard.com it’s not close to the hotels but worth the trip. Get the Lobster Bisk appetizer, outstanding.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 1:35 pm

I've been to Miami on my own for a week and it's quite nice. I stayed at the Coconut Grove Marriott by the Bayshore there. Staff are uber friendly and services were great! It's a nice neighborhood to walk around as the marina is right across from the hotel. I even went jogging around the docks and saw some amazing yachts and turbo speed boats. If you don't feel like driving you can walk to Coconut Grove Walk where you'll find shopping district and restaurants. If you get a rental car (go with Avis $17 a day) be sure to drive around the neighborhood and check out some of the mansions around there. The Key Biscayne island is worth visiting too. There's a toll to pay to get there but it's worth checking it out. Of course, you can't miss South Beach. That's where you would get your people watching fix done. Depending on which week you'll be in town you might even see random festival setup at the beach which you can check out. If you want to see more beach, just drive along the A1 HWY.

You can probably get a lot done in 7 days. I'm sure you'll meet people at South Beach and strike up a good conversation and turn it into a story to tell your kids in the future.

Have fun!
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mad4Miles
Skip the US properties and head to Asia!

So many fine properties and so much fun to be had.
As a fellow single traveler in his 30s, I wholeheartedly agree.

If you're "exotic" (read: non-Asian, non-Australian), you pretty much have to just stand around to get some ... uh ... fun.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
We're now at post 14.. can we finally start to brandmark the "Hookup Hyatt's"!?

J/k...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 3:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Another is Maui, with a drive to Hana, dives off the catamaran, and hops over to Lahaina. Though, when I was there, it was in a married state, and Lahaina may have looked more like what you're looking for than it was, so to speak. A bigger day trip would be to fly over to the big island, rent a car and have a look at Kilauea, and buy some fresh Kona coffee beans. (Obviously you don't have to go there for the latter, but it might be less expensive.)

There is the six hour difference... A reason to do it now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.