Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points - PLEASE READ

Hyatt FAQs & Tutorial on Getting Hyatt Points - PLEASE READ

Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Hyatt booking via costco

just managed to get elite status with hyatt and want to be sure that I make the most of it. Two weeks, one stay in Asia, and costco booking could save 10%. This requires a telephone call to the costco hteol reservations number. It canot be booked online. Will this qualify as eligible stay (and my 14 nights)? Or does costco bookings fall under the non-eligible stay category? thanks.

Last edited by travelmbs; Aug 14, 2010 at 11:38 am Reason: more info
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt GP Platinum
Smile Platinum & Diamond Food Amenity

Hello, I'm a short time lurker, first time poster. I'm impressed by this forum and wished I had run into this place earlier in the year. I have been a Hyatt Platinum Member for a few years now, and I have always wondered how it would be like to have Diamond Status. I've only been able to check into Hyatts roughly 5-8 times a year, and would love to have participated in that fast track to Diamond Promotion.

Now for my question/topic. I recently stayed at the Hyatt Bellevue, checked in late with my platinum membership card and my platinum welcome amentity that will expire that day. The room service was already closed, so the front desk recommended that I come back in the morning and try to use it again. So I did. To my surprise, I believe the choosing was from a "diamond amentity" list. I chose the healthy option which was a very delicious asian tofu vegetable and broth.

Typically, I whenever I use the platinum welcome amenity certificate, I get a choice from chocolate raisins to a fruit bowl or cheese spread. This amenity that I received was a hot meal which was very delicious.

Now, my question is, Is there a difference in welcome amentities between Platinum and Diamond status? Or does it just depend on what Hyatt hotel I am checking in. Thank you.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 5:47 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hatchet808
Typically, I whenever I use the platinum welcome amenity certificate, I get a choice from chocolate raisins to a fruit bowl or cheese spread. This amenity that I received was a hot meal which was very delicious.

Now, my question is, Is there a difference in welcome amentities between Platinum and Diamond status? Or does it just depend on what Hyatt hotel I am checking in. Thank you.
First off - welcome to active posting on Flyertalk and our Hyatt forum, Hatchet808!!!

To answer your question, while I'm not 100% positive, I do believe that when you choose the Food / Beverage option for the welcome amenity, it is the same whether you are a Diamond or using a Platinum Extra Cert. Now the option that you chose and received is a unique option that varies with properties (rather than the usual cheese spread, fruit bowl, chips & salsa that are standard at most properties). Many Hyatts (usually the upper end ones) have pretty "unique" amenities that have gotten good coverage (eg the fruit pie at the PH DC).

The unique amenities are usually more prevalent at International Properties (which unfortunately are rather inconsistent and often times very stingy with their amenities - the problem is compounded for Diamond members since the 1W (1,000 points) amenity in lieu of the F&B one is not available at the International properties.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:51 pm

Thank you for the welcome Peteropny. I figured that the welcome amenity would vary by location, and not by status. I just needed confirmation.

I only have 6 stays and 13 nights this year, far from reaching Diamond for 2010. This year, I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt Seattle, Hyatt Bellevue, Hyatt Regency Waikiki, Hyatt Regency Maui. Located in Hawaii, I can only visit other Hyatt Hotels during work trips or vacation (Maui). I'm impressed by the number of diamond members on this board, and their insightful contributions to the forum. I will likely shoot for diamond status if/when they have a tier promotion next year.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, & PC
I have a question regarding Hyatt Stay Certificates. If I use an Inspire Stay Certificates I understand I won't receive the Gold Passport points for the amount of the certificates, but will receive points for incidentals, i.e. room service, food etc. But my question is will my stay count as a gold passport qualify stay?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by devastor
I have a question regarding Hyatt Stay Certificates. If I use an Inspire Stay Certificates I understand I won't receive the Gold Passport points for the amount of the certificates, but will receive points for incidentals, i.e. room service, food etc. But my question is will my stay count as a gold passport qualify stay?
As stated in the first post of this thread - the answer is no.

What effect does Hyatt Gift Certificates have on stay eligibility / points?

Payment using $ denominated Hyatt Gift Checks or Gift Cards have no effect on stay eligibility / points (this depends on the underlying reservation). Stays utilizing Stay Certificates (booked using the stay certificate codes) are not considered “eligible” and therefore will not earn stay credit or points (except for incidentals that earn points).
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:38 pm

Matress Running

Being new to this, I have learned and read about the concept of "matress running". Supposedly, you have to physically check in to the property in order for your stay to not be listed or counted as a "phantom stay".

Theoretically, I could reserve a month at Hyatt Place at Rack Rate. Check in to the property, leave, and check out at the end of the month via computer or physical check out. Will I then get a month worth of nights counted toward tier status? Or does the hotel have the discretion of saying, I only seen this person at check in, and the room has looked unoccupied for the month, therefore it is a phantom stay?
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hatchet808
Being new to this, I have learned and read about the concept of "matress running". Supposedly, you have to physically check in to the property in order for your stay to not be listed or counted as a "phantom stay".

Theoretically, I could reserve a month at Hyatt Place at Rack Rate. Check in to the property, leave, and check out at the end of the month via computer or physical check out. Will I then get a month worth of nights counted toward tier status? Or does the hotel have the discretion of saying, I only seen this person at check in, and the room has looked unoccupied for the month, therefore it is a phantom stay?
Well you can't check out of a Hyatt Place via computer.

Secondly, most of us who "matress run" do it one night at a time to requalify via stays and not nights.

The risk in your plan is that when housekeeping checks your room and sees that no one is occupying it, they'll automatically check you out of the room.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:05 pm

Housekeeping checking you out is what crossed my mind as well. In hawaii, it is very difficult to do any type of matress run because there are only resorts here. 19 more stays @ $300 night is $5700. A 37 night single stay at $75 or even $100 per night is still more economical.

However, looking at the bigger picture, say I only average 15 nights at Hyatt Properties per year. Say it costs a $100 more per night to get a regency club room. Thats only $1500+Tax. Probably a better option for me than getting diamond, except I don't get those suite upgrades and welcome amenity. Thank you for the tips Peteropny.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Many (but not all) of the mattress runs you may have read about on this forum and other FT forums are focused on stays rather than nights, not only because qualification for elite status is often cheaper via stays than via nights, but also because there are often many bonuses that are more lucrative if you make N 1-night stays rather than 1 N-night stay.

For example, lucky is the Hyatt Diamond GP member who can find a local inexpensive business-oriented Hyatt hotel that has low occupancy (ergo cheap rates) on the weekends during non-tourist months and has a Regency Club closed on the weekends. That hotel might offer a rate that is $100 inclusive of taxes and fees (I'm picking a nice round number to make math easier). For every such 1-night stay that member books and checks in physically at this hotel, he or she could earn 650 GP points calculated on spend (500 base points plus 150 points Diamond earning bonus), another 1,000 bonus points for being a Diamond member, 2,500 points for the Regency Club being closed, and if Hyatt is running a Faster Free Nights (most recently known as Big Welcome Back), he or she earns half a FFN award night. If the member stays a second night on the stay, the only additional earning is another 650 GP points calculated on the spend for the second night.

Or if the member wants to earn airline miles instead, for a 1-night stay, he or she still earns the 1,000 bonus GP points for being a Diamond member, the 2,500 GP points for the Regency Club being closed, and the half an FFN award night. He or she also earns 500 miles base earning for the stay, plus right now there is a choice of different bonuses that are active. Let's say he or she selects American AAdvantage: that 1-night stay earns another 2,500 bonus miles right now. If he or she opts to stay a second night on this stay, nothing extra is earned. Nothing.

I do have such a Hyatt property near me, but I don't usually mattress run because I don't usually find the value of what can be earned worth the $100 out of pocket and the effort to drive down to that Hyatt. However, come requalification time, I'll consider it if I'm going to drop down from Diamond status, assuming no devaluations of Diamond status by then. Some do consider what can be earned (without considering requalification considerations) worth it; but if they do, then it's very unlikely they'll consider the poor returns on a second night on the same stay to be worth the additional $100. They almost certainly would prefer to return on a separate stay even though they have to drive to the Hyatt a second time also. The comparison is between 2x the effort and 2x the cost to get 2x the baseline goodies of the 1st night; or only 1x the effort and still 2x the cost to get 1x the baseline goodies of the 1st night plus 1x the incremental goodies of the 2nd night. So a little high school algebra indicates that the multi-night stay option is only sensible if the member thinks that saving the effort of driving to the local Hyatt is worth the difference between the baseline goodies of the 1st night and the incremental goodies of the 2nd night.

Keep in mind:
  • There isn't a Hyatt FFN promotion active right now. Many FTers are holding their breaths hoping there will be a good one again this fall.
  • The above doesn't take into account the "G" or "A" bonus codes that are hotel property specific bonuses active only for certain periods of time. Those are also bonuses awarded per stay and not per night, so a mattress runner that finds a convenient hotel property to mattress run at offering these bonus codes would be further motivated to do N 1-night stays.
  • The $100 out of pocket per night could be reduced to $80 if you have an ample supply of the discounted Hyatt certificates that were being sold at Costco but now appears to be discontinued. I say ample, because if you only have a small supply, then you shouldn't consider the cost of your mattress running at such a property to be $80, because you're consuming some of your limited supply of certificates, and for some future necessary Hyatt hotel stay, you will not have any more certificates to use because you used them up during mattress running.
  • Occasionally there can be bonuses that are on a per night basis. For example, the United Airlines Mileage Plus bonus awarding up to 30,000 bonus miles at the rate of 1,000 bonus miles per night. But they are rare, and so on the whole the balance still tends to tip strongly toward 1-night stays for mattress running. I don't recall seeing any bonuses from Hyatt that are structured such that there are increasing bonuses for 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. nights. If such a bonus is offered, that would definitely complicate the calculations for mattress runners.

Last edited by pshuang; Aug 21, 2010 at 6:28 pm Reason: Added more thoughts.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
Somehow I have completely missed the G* bonueses. I have a number of upcoming reservations at properties that have these available, but have not booked then using the G rates. Do I need to rebook and if so are rates different?

Also on previous stays during if G bonuses were available can I get them retroactively credited?
Old Aug 24, 2010, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

No - Yes - see the first post.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I am sorry to be dense about the G bonuses, but even after re-reading the first post I do not understand the concept. Do these automatically post, or only if the G bonus is noted in the booking.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by NotHome
I am sorry to be dense about the G bonuses, but even after re-reading the first post I do not understand the concept. Do these automatically post, or only if the G bonus is noted in the booking.
YHPM
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotHome
No need to be requested at time of booking - request Gx at checkin/out at the property - and if it doesn't post still call Customer Service.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.