Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ways to maintain Hyatt points after 12 months? (No hotel stay, no Avis)

Old Mar 30, 10, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

I don't think I am going to stay in Hyatt in the near future, nor I would rent a car from Avis.

Are there any other options to "create" an activity before the 12-mth period ends? E.g. dining at one of the restaurants in Hyatt hotels.
Old Mar 30, 10, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Marriott Silver
The posts in these threads are a bit dated, hopefully someone else has more recent experience.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ts-expire.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...xpiration.html
Old Mar 31, 10, 12:49 am
Community Director

I'm not sure that Hyatt ever closes an account. My husband's account had been inactive for 15 years until he began to use it again 6 months ago. His points were still there. (Please consider this anecdotal and not authoritative.)
Old Mar 31, 10, 9:45 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

They do close accounts - mine was closed once about 10 years ago - but they reopened it and restored the points on request - (again consider this anecdotal).
Old Mar 31, 10, 10:12 am
Original Poster

I know Hilton and SPG are real great pain. Last time I made a quick take-out order from a W restaurant just to "extend" the points ($10, got my food too). I think I will just keep my Hyatt account inactive for now... Seems like the odds are OK.

Thanks a lot guys!
Old Mar 31, 10, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ken.yong View Post
I think I will just keep my Hyatt account inactive for now... Seems like the odds are OK.
How many points do you have at risk (however minimal it may be based on anecdotal evidence)?
Old Mar 31, 10, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
They do close accounts - mine was closed once about 10 years ago - but they reopened it and restored the points on request - (again consider this anecdotal).
Same here. When i started traveling to cities with Hyatts in the past two years, I was able to transfer credits from my old account from the 80s that had been dormant for almost two decades, to my new account. Not many points left in the account, but my lifetime balance jumped considerably.
Old Mar 31, 10, 3:07 pm
Suspended

All of the above is correct. Also, the soon to be issued Hyatt credit card will take care of this issue, as well.
Old Mar 31, 10, 7:23 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Do tell, do you have any new news on how soon?

If so, please post in the thread on the CC

Link

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR View Post
All of the above is correct. Also, the soon to be issued Hyatt credit card will take care of this issue, as well.
Old Mar 31, 10, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965 View Post
Do tell, do you have any new news on how soon?

If so, please post in the thread on the CC

Link
Soon is relative... Sorry, I have no more of a guess than you do.
Old Apr 2, 10, 1:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I'm not sure that Hyatt ever closes an account. My husband's account had been inactive for 15 years until he began to use it again 6 months ago. His points were still there. (Please consider this anecdotal and not authoritative.)
Definitely, absolutely, a clear and powerful advantage over SPG.
Old Jan 4, 13, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I haven't stayed at a Hyatt property nor earned a point in about 2 years. I just did my annual airline & Hotel review of accounts where I go see if I need activity, for example, I better get some UA mileage activity in one of my kids accounts or they will expire

So I get to Goldpassport and had heard that they didn't expire but wanted to check it out for myself

I found this thread and this link in my GP site search

https://goldpassport.hyatt.com/hyatt...conditions.jsp

which states in #3 of Gen'l terms and conditions: (bold my emphasis)

General Terms and Conditions

3. The Hyatt Gold Passport program may continue until such time as Hyatt Gold Passport at its sole discretion elects to designate a program termination date. Hyatt Gold Passport has the right to end the Hyatt Gold Passport program by providing written notice to then Active Members six months in advance. An "Active Member" is a member that has received Hyatt Gold Passport points or Travel Partner miles within the preceding 12 months. A member's Hyatt Gold Passport membership may be discontinued at Hyatt Gold Passport's discretion if a member does not record Hyatt Gold Passport points or Travel Partner miles activity during any consecutive 12-month period. All Hyatt Gold Passport points in the account will be forfeited at that time.

according to the boldfaced above, I am not an active member. I did redeem for an award then cancelled it 7 months later when I did not take the trip. However I'm not sure that will qualify as activity as I sure didn't earn any points

I don't foresee any Hyatt stays in the near future, maybe an avis rental but I'm not even sure of that. I do not have the Credit card and have no intention of getting one either.

Are there any other easy quick ways to keep this open or better yet, active.

Is there any word from the GP Concierge that says that they are not closing inactive accounts?

thanks
Old Jan 4, 13, 11:04 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I don't know what Hyatt is doing with inactive accounts, but it looks like one can buy points on hyatt.com. The price for 1000 points is $24. May be an inexpensive way to ensure your account remains in good standing ...
Old Jan 4, 13, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by skj View Post
I don't know what Hyatt is doing with inactive accounts, but it looks like one can buy points on hyatt.com. The price for 1000 points is $24. May be an inexpensive way to ensure your account remains in good standing ...
I agree
and it seems to beat the return that Avis provides as well
Old Jan 4, 13, 12:58 pm

The cheap and free thing to do is use all your points to book a reward one year out. Cancel and rebook when that year is up.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: