Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Arlington vs Crystal City

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Hyatt Arlington vs Crystal City

My sister is visiting me next weekend with her kids and I am looking at these two hotels since they are both pretty affordable and yet still close to downtown. I think I'm going to try to use an upgrade certificate since there will be 4 of us. Both properties look about equal on the website, so is one a lot better than the other? Does one have better metro access? Does either have a club, or do they give breakfast certificates?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:41 pm

Crystal City has a club [EDIT: in retrospect, I may be thinking of the Sheraton Crystal City... I have not been to the Hyatt CC for a while, and other posters say I am mistaken, so I defer to them]. Arlington provides breakfast via coupon.

Arlington is virtually on top of Rosslyn station, Crystal City is a 5-10 minute walk to Crystal City station.

Many (all?) of the rooms at the Arlington have been reno'd and are very fresh with new A/V units, but the rest of the hotel can be in a state of (dis)repair... when I was there last week the tile in the elevators was torn up.

The CC is nice enough, but clearly not a recent reno.

Arlington is usually cheaper and is running a G2 bonus.

There is more kid-friendly food in the Arlington area, IMHO.

Last edited by YYZC2; Mar 22, 2010 at 12:40 pm
Old Mar 20, 2010, 10:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Hyatt Crystal City does run a shuttle up to the Metro station, as well as DCA where you could also get the train, so that will work if weather is bad. I had to do that last visit due to rain and waited about 15 minutes for a pickup on the way back at Crystal City Metro. Inside the Metro station there are some food options in the adjoining hallway, including King Street Blues where I have been a number of times for dinner with an FTer that lives nearby. There's a McDonalds and Legal Seafoods closer to the hotel. There is a 50s style dinner on street level at the Holiday Inn across Jefferson Davis Highway.

Have to admit I've never used the lounge there (didn't know there was one). The restaurant for the breakfast buffet is larger, and food line less congested, because of a more spacious layout, than what you would find in Arlington.

Prices being equal, I tend to stay in Arlington just because of the easier Metro access. Crystal City looks a lot nicer but not as convenient to get to and from.

I have photos of both properties linked below.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYZC2
Crystal City has a club. Arlington provides breakfast via coupon.
Is this lounge at CC open weekends or just week days? (I think breakfast coupons would be better for the kids)

Originally Posted by tom911
Prices being equal, I tend to stay in Arlington just because of the easier Metro access. Crystal City looks a lot nicer but not as convenient to get to and from.
In this case Crystal City is a little cheaper, but Arlington seems so much more convenient to the Metro so it may be worth paying a little more. I do have to call and see which might have a suite upgrade available.

Your photos make Arlington look nicer too.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Marriott PLT, Hilton GLD, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
I was at Crystal City just last night (Friday) and the front desk said the lounge was closed at weekends and as a Diamond they gave me a voucher for breakfast... which I have to say was very good.

T
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traviss
I was at Crystal City just last night (Friday) and the front desk said the lounge was closed at weekends and as a Diamond they gave me a voucher for breakfast... which I have to say was very good.
So then you also get 2500 points, right?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by srodr
So then you also get 2500 points, right?
Is there any lounge at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City? I don't recall any there.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 8:30 pm

Hyatt Arlington gets my vote!

There is a red hot & blue (BBQ place) about 2 blocks away. When my family stays at this hotel, we always eat at least one meal there.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I used an old Hyatt suite paper ug at the Hyatt CC a couple of years ago and only got a parlor suite, not really two distinct rooms. I went downstairs and got my paper cert back. I've gotten a real suite ug at the Hyatt Arlington before.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM, WN CP & A-List +, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is there any lounge at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City? I don't recall any there.
Same question here. I stay at CC about half a dozen times a year. The last time was a couple months ago. Never had a club during any of my stays.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Your photos make Arlington look nicer too.
If you ever end up there for the 4th of July, from the hotel you can walk over to the park where the Marine Memorial and Netherlands Carillon is and have an excellent vantage point (with thousands of others). Did that one year. It's just outside Arlington Cemetery.

Originally Posted by illinikevin
There is a red hot & blue (BBQ place) about 2 blocks away. When my family stays at this hotel, we always eat at least one meal there.
Same here.

Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by kevino
I used an old Hyatt suite paper ug at the Hyatt CC a couple of years ago and only got a parlor suite, not really two distinct rooms. I went downstairs and got my paper cert back. I've gotten a real suite ug at the Hyatt Arlington before.
Does the parlor suite correspond to the deluxe king on the website? http://www.crystalcity.hyatt.com/hya...ocale=&start=4 That's the standard upgrade I got the two times I stayed here. ^ for getting your ug certificate back.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Price being comparable, Hyatt Arlington wins in my opinion, and it is not that close. The only reason to stay at the CC is if you need access to DCA or Crystal City (which is why I have stayed there a fair bit in the past myself).
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
There is no club at the Hyatt Crystal City.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:30 am

My sister is visiting me next weekend with her kids and I am looking at these two hotels since they are both pretty affordable and yet still close to downtown. I think I'm going to try to use an upgrade certificate since there will be 4 of us.
I did use an upgrade certificate at Arlington last year - it upgrades into the Executive Suites on the top floors. However, at weekends, the hotel usually (at least, for both of my recent weekend reservations, one for this coming Friday) offers those suites through the NOR1 program for an extra $18 or so a night... it'll show up after you make your reservation. For that price, they're good value - though I felt the space wasn't used very well (lots of corridor & entryway, leaving the living area a bit cramped). They also might well be all king-bed rooms - so if there are four of you, I'd definitely check that in advance.

Overall, I liked Arlington - it's often half the price of the more central properties at weekends, and convenient for just about everywhere. Breakfast in the restaurant - newly remodeled - was good, and the staff charming in a vague sort of way. It's not spectacular, but it does the job. (Also: the funniest version of a Diamond amenity cheese plate I've ever been presented with. One plastic-wrapped packet of about twenty crackers, one tinfoil-wrapped slab of Boursin cheese, dumped on a plate together with no attempt at presentation, or even unwrapping. It looked like some unlucky sous-chef had gone rooting through the kitchen cupboards, and had thrown the first things he came across onto the tray... then garnished it with white cloth, silver service, and a hopeful flower. Still in tinfoil. The room-service guy who delivered it looked rather embarrassed, though I didn't truly mind...)

Crystal City I haven't stayed at - but it looks like their entry-level suite is the Ambassador Suite... and often suites with that name are excluded from the suite upgrade certificates... That might not be the case, here - and, indeed, I'd think it rather odd of them to deny the upgrade on a weekend in March - but definitely it's worth double-checking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.