Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Dear Hyatt, Will You Please Upgrade Your Bed and Bath Products?

Old Mar 18, 10, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

After several stays with Hyatt, I'm getting a little disappointed with the bed and bath amenities at Hyatt. Don't get me wrong, I think Hyatt is fantastic in several areas. Hyatt hotel staff are super friendly and very well trained. I am very happy with most of the newly renovated properties. They have also treated me very well as a Diamond.

At the end of the day though (literally), I can't help but miss Starwood a little bit. This is more for Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency (I find Park Hyatt and Andaz to be more adequate). First of all, please get rid of the water saving showerheads! I can't stand them. I'm usually green at home and try to moderate my water usage but when I'm on vacation, I want a nice and relaxing shower with enough water pressure at a 4 star hotel please! I really miss the Westin double shower heads as well as W Hotel rainfall showers.

Secondly, Westin and W offer plush and thick towels (turkey or brazil made). After rejuvenating showers at Starwood properties, I thoroughly enjoy their nice towerls...but at Hyatt, the towels are thin and scratchy! And, don't get me started on the Porta-cough, I mean Portico products..

Then, the bed! Hyatt beds are not the worst I've slept in but they don't come close to the W bed or Westin Heavenly, Sheraton Sweet Sleeper, or even four points beds! I think Starwood beds are custom beds manufactured by Simmons and Sealy. This isn't too hard for Hyatt to match.

So, dear Hyatt, will you please upgrade your bed and bath amenities? I promise if you do, I won't look back at Starwood, ever! Because now, I'm missing them a little
Old Mar 18, 10, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
After several stays with Hyatt, I'm getting a little disappointed with the bed and bath amenities at Hyatt. Don't get me wrong, I think Hyatt is fantastic in several areas. Hyatt hotel staff are super friendly and very well trained. I am very happy with most of the newly renovated properties. They have also treated me very well as a Diamond.

At the end of the day though (literally), I can't help but miss Starwood a little bit. This is more for Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency (I find Park Hyatt and Andaz to be more adequate). First of all, please get rid of the water saving showerheads! I can't stand them. I'm usually green at home and try to moderate my water usage but when I'm on vacation, I want a nice and relaxing shower with enough water pressure at a 4 star hotel please! I really miss the Westin double shower heads as well as W Hotel rainfall showers.

Secondly, Westin and W offer plush and thick towels (turkey or brazil made). After rejuvenating showers at Starwood properties, I thoroughly enjoy their nice towerls...but at Hyatt, the towels are thin and scratchy! And, don't get me started on the Porta-cough, I mean Portico products..

Then, the bed! Hyatt beds are not the worst I've slept in but they don't come close to the W bed or Westin Heavenly, Sheraton Sweet Sleeper, or even four points beds! I think Starwood beds are custom beds manufactured by Simmons and Sealy. This isn't too hard for Hyatt to match.

So, dear Hyatt, will you please upgrade your bed and bath amenities? I promise if you do, I won't look back at Starwood, ever! Because now, I'm missing them a little
Hard to argue with any of your points.
We stayed and the Westin Moana Surfrider in Honolulu and then the GH Kauai and were somewhat shocked at the difference between the vastly superior Westin bed and bedding and the Hyatt bed and bedding.
Old Mar 18, 10, 4:31 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AA, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Beds

We've actually started to avoid a property we really like, a Radisson in Culver City near LAX, because of their use of Sleep Number beds. It's like sleeping on balloons. We love the Westin beds, but are also very happy with Hyatt's beds.
Old Mar 18, 10, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Oh boy, another way too general review after some recent stays at the Hyatt Place Ontario Mills...

Grand Bed is comparable to the Heavenly Bed.

Frette linens used at some upscale Hyatt's are second to none. Four points beds ? Gotta be kidding, right...

Rain(fall) showers in hotel rooms are actually a Hyatt invention and were later copied by other chains, like W.

On a sidenote, you find them at more or less all international Hyatt locations. @:-)
Old Mar 18, 10, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slocouple View Post
We've actually started to avoid a property we really like, a Radisson in Culver City near LAX, because of their use of Sleep Number beds. It's like sleeping on balloons. We love the Westin beds, but are also very happy with Hyatt's beds.
Yea, Hyatt beds are alright...but Westin and W beds are sooooo comfy.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Mar 18, 10 at 7:30 pm
Old Mar 19, 10, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
This is more for Grand Hyatt and Hyatt Regency (I find Park Hyatt and Andaz to be more adequate).
Can you enlighten us which Grand Hyatt's, Hyatt Regency's, Andaz's, and Park Hyatt's have you stayed at?
Old Mar 19, 10, 1:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Gold Passport, Shangri-la Golden Circle
Oh, I wanted to start a topic on bath products a long, long time ago. I love Hyatt's, but someone please get rid of those shampoo and conditioner that bring knots to your hair! Soap is okay though -- just okay but could be better.
Old Mar 19, 10, 8:48 am

Programs: SPG-PLT, DL-PLT, AA-GLD (1 MM)
My big complaint is the Portico bath products (soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc...). The scent is terrible!
Old Mar 19, 10, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Seabourn DE
Seems this subject has been beaten to death on here. Bliss, go back and choke on Starwood. I enjoy your posts, but why does everything in this friggin world have to match whatever you think is best in your world.

Something I found recently at SFO Hyatt. In their top suites they supply Portico Spa bath products. Different packaging and contents than found in rest of hotel. Different towels, robes, different everything in the top suites. Very nice surprise, so much so they have me hooked on paying the premium.

Otherwise, I agree....Portico sucks. Well, that is what I thought until I used the soap at a Fairfield Inn an hour ago.
Old Mar 19, 10, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Isn't the Surfrider a Sheraton?

In any case, I agree with OP's assessment of the basic Hyatt category, which I guess is branded "Regency". But I have always seen them on a par in NAmerica to the old Hiltons and Sheratons, certainly not Westins. I see "Grand" properties in NAmerica at the Westin tier. That said, the "Regency" brand is a bit stale and certainly many NAmerican properties need upgrading as Hiltons and Sheratons have gone through. I am not a great fan of this particular Portico offering, preferring the now vanished "creamsicle" fragrance.

But I do believe this is a NAmerican issue because even Regency Hyatts elsewhere in the world have a contemporary and offer their own line of toiletries (i/whatever) if not an actual premium brand offering as always found in Park Hyatts world wide.

As for beds, I've never had a problem sleeping on a Hyatt bed, even at a Regency. Towels, again in NAmerica, are indeed thin a scratchy at Regency and many Grands.

I suppose it comes down to cost/benefit. Can Hyatt afford to redo tens of thousands of rooms and keep costs competitive within the NAmerican market. Remember, the average Regency or even Grand over here goes for about half what they tend to over seas. I suspect this is one of the reasons Hyatt treats its Diamonds so well, and offers so many rich FFN promos: it makes up for an inferior product in a certain segment of the market. (To me its like LH which at the moment has one of the most outdate F hard products in the air, so it makes up for it by offering one of the best ground services in the industry in support of the F customer and its HON regulars.)
Old Mar 19, 10, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Actually, the Portico I can stomach, because I can always bring my own stuff, but not the scratchy towels or weak showers. I thought that everyone would enjoy nice towels and strong water pressure in this world, not just mine, but apparently not so.

I don't know how many people here stay at Westins and Ws much, but those who do know that Westin and W's mattress (Sheraton and Four Points mattress are the same as Westin but without the pillowtop) are just out of this world, so much so that many people at the SPG forum (and out) own W or Westin beds at home. I mean, they sell Westin's beds at Nordstrom. That's how popular they have become. These beds are what put SPG on the map.

I agree with many of you that Hyatt's bed isn't bad, but that's just it. It isn't "bad." That's sort of the feeling I get at many Hyatt Regency and Grand Hyatt...clean but just a hotel room. At some of the SPG brands, you have the amazing bed to look forward to to sleep in, nice double shower heads, white tea/bliss spa products, and thick plush towels and robe. It just makes the overall experience so much more "luxurious." I havn't gotten that feeling much at Hyatt Regency and Grand Hyatt.

To elites, benefits might be more important than these luxurious items and don't get me wrong, Hyatt delivers, and that's the reason why I have switched over, but the majority of the guests aren't elites and when they choose hotels, they do consider things like a nice bed or luxury bathroom amenities. Just take a look at tripadvisor. There's the "yea $99 per night acceptable clean hotel but I probably wouldn't return" reviews then there's "their beds are truly heavenly, I can't wait to come back to this hotel."

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to improve the overall guest experience. It definitely wouldn't hurt to have these things at Hyatt. My intention wasn't to bash Hyatt in any way, but just thought that there are some areas where Hyatt could improve.
Old Mar 19, 10, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Thanks for starting this thread...

I just can't believe it took you 5 months . For those of you who don't know, BlissWorld started the famous "Dear Sheraton, Would You Please Get Rid of Your Cheap Pantene and Vaseline Products" thread in the Starwood forum. And a little over 1 year later, they did, in fact, change out their toiletry line.

I'm all for someone who has a track record of achieving change posting for some positive improvements in the Hyatt product.
Old Mar 19, 10, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Seabourn DE
Agree....and nobody dislikes a polyester combo towel more than me. If something has to go, it should be lousy towels first.
Old Mar 19, 10, 5:00 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
And, don't get me started on the Porta-cough, I mean Portico products..
I really don't mind the Portico stuff. And I love the little tubes of toothpaste, no one else but Hyatt includes toothpaste. Andaz bath products are downright awesome.

If you really want to see some bad bath products, check into a Hilton. All that blue stuff is just crap. I mean really disgusting perfume laden crap.

I'm not overly picky about beds. Hyatt's seem to be fine IME.
Old Mar 20, 10, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
The bath products definetely need improvement. The Park Hyatts in Asia have very good stuff !

In North America I like the Aquafresh toothpaste in the little tubes, perfect for travelling !

Satisfied with the beds and bedsheets... can't complain there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: