FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   DENVER: Hyatt Regency vs. Grand Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1059511-denver-hyatt-regency-vs-grand-hyatt.html)

eddie1973 Mar 5, 2010 7:42 am

DENVER: Hyatt Regency vs. Grand Hyatt

I'm using a two-night reward stay in Denver and wonder which Hyatt should I stay at. Has any idea as to the differences?

Pizzaman Mar 5, 2010 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by eddie1973 (Post 13516521)
I'm using a two-night reward stay in Denver and wonder which Hyatt should I stay at. Has any idea as to the differences?

Is your stay for leisure? On your own or with family? Both hotels are nice, but the Regency is a convention center property. A lot more going on there, but can also lead to congestion in places you may want to go within the hotel. It's a lot quieter at the Grand.

JIMCHI Mar 5, 2010 10:57 pm

If you will accessing the Regency Club, then the Regency Denver is better- much larger. Really great service there, especially when Debra is on duty. VERY close to the downtown mall and short walking distance to a huge variety of restaurants. This is also a gorgeous hotel - lobby is quite spectacular. I've stayed there several times- weekdays and weekends - and never a wait to check-in for Hyatt elites. There is usually someone in the lobby to welcome you and make sure you don't wait. Front desk can't do enough for you.

eddie1973 Mar 6, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks for the input!

SanDiego1K Jul 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Any more opinions on the better property? I've read both of the property threads, both of which have a grand total of 4 posts. What is the best way to get to either property from the airport when not renting a car?

jtaft Jul 19, 2010 11:32 pm

I had a very pleasant stay at the Grand when there was an unplanned overnight due to flight cancellations, but getting to/from there from the airport was rather painful. Took the "super shuttle" and it was a very lengthy ride with multiple stops at other hotels.

Altaflyer Jul 20, 2010 8:20 am

Just take the RTD Skyride - $10 into downtown Denver. Fairly efficient but you will need to walk a few blocks once downtown. The buses leave from the RTD public bus area which is near the rental car shuttle pickups.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyRide_SubHome.shtml

The Grand is showing some age issues and apparently they are planning on some renovations. The Regency is a beautiful hotel with an awesome gym and hot tup on the upper floors. Great views from the bar up there too! Both hotels provide excellent service - you really cannot go wrong either way!

y2k1jetta Jul 20, 2010 8:51 am

depends

Regency is my choice.

baliktad Jul 20, 2010 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 14332517)
Just take the RTD Skyride - $10 into downtown Denver. Fairly efficient but you will need to walk a few blocks once downtown. The buses leave from the RTD public bus area which is near the rental car shuttle pickups.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/skyRide_SubHome.shtml

SkyRide is definitely the way to go. They are coach-like buses that depart from to and from the airport regularly. Just stop at the RTD counter at the airport when you arrive and they will sell you a one-way or RT ticket. The buses are designed for airport travellers, so the driver will stow your luggage underneath before you board.

It's about a 40 minute ride on route AF from DIA to the Market Street Station, where you can take the free 16th St. Mall shuttle to within a block of either property.

astan100 Jul 20, 2010 3:05 pm

My parents will be staying at one of these next month, so I'm curious about the accomodations too.

Are the rooms any different? How do they compare?

Pizzaman Jul 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 14330873)
Any more opinions on the better property? I've read both of the property threads, both of which have a grand total of 4 posts. What is the best way to get to either property from the airport when not renting a car?

I have a lot of experience at both properties this year. Based on that, here is my updated opinion.

Things the Grand Hyatt has going for it:

Room quality for Diamonds is generally better. I've gotten a corner king suite every time I've stayed as the standard upgrade. It's a 2-room suite with a very nice bathroom.

Check-in and rate accuracy are pretty good.

Diamond lounge is welcoming.

Pricing is a bit more reasonable, both in room rate and on-property charges.

Things the Hyatt Regency has going for it:

Fitness center is significantly better than Grand.

Food quality and choices are significantly better than Grand.

FedEx onsite, pretty decent business support services.

Diamond lounge is welcoming as well.

In summary, I feel like the Regency is set up more for the business person. The Grand is a bit more accommodating and warm, but less in the way of food and business services. The Regency has never upgraded me past a club room, which are just regular hotel rooms with better soap.

devastor Jul 20, 2010 9:43 pm

Stay at the Grand Hyatt Denver and loved it. Book a AAA breakfast rate, and the breakfast in the resturant was amazing. Great crepes!

Great location to 16th street pedestrian mall.

However, parking is either self parking at $14 a night or valet at $24 a night.

Altaflyer Jul 21, 2010 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Pizzaman (Post 14336967)
FedEx onsite, pretty decent business support services.

There is a Fedex Kinkos in the building connected to the Grand Hyatt as well.

air- Jul 26, 2010 11:34 am

I'm flying in for a weekend stay to attend a buddy's wedding. Have a reservation at the HR but seeing this thread get recently updated has me debating on switching over to the GH. Has anyone stayed at either of the two properties on a FFN/BWB redemption? If you are diamond, did you get upgraded?

The Bargain Hunter Jul 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by air- (Post 14367541)
I'm flying in for a weekend stay to attend a buddy's wedding. Have a reservation at the HR but seeing this thread get recently updated has me debating on switching over to the GH. Has anyone stayed at either of the two properties on a FFN/BWB redemption? If you are diamond, did you get upgraded?

I have stayed at HR several times, GH once. These stays have been as a family of 4. If using an upgrade certificate, suites at HR are very nice, with a double-size murphy bed in the suite, which attaches to either a king or 2 dbl bed adjoining room. I agree with everything others have said about the differences between the two hotels, and I slightly prefer the HR over the GH.

HOWEVER, it seems that the HR seems to get a lot of youth cheer/dance teams staying there on weekends, as has been the case the past 4 times I've done weekend stays in downtown Denver Hyatts. If you have RC access and are not interested in using the pool, this is not too big of a deal, but if you're doing a breakfast-included stay, things can get a little crowded at the Altitude restaurant in the mornings, resulting in long waits for a table. Our recent GH stay had no sports teams staying there, but we did see groups of young people walking from the HR to the convention center when we drove past that hotel. I have no problems with these groups, and our family is sometimes with one of those sports teams, but it definitely makes for a more crowded hotel experience.

Weekend rates for both of these hotels have been slowly creeping up over the past 18 months as the economy improves, but you can still get a weekend rate of about $119/night if your timing is right.